Board index PBase Feature Requests Voting

Feature Requests

Voting

Request changes or modifications.
djwixx

Voting

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:15 pm

I have not commented whether I vote for shots or not for a long time as there were many occasions when I felt people were voting in return. This return voting meant many shots were appearing in the voted galleries when to my thinking they didn't really deserve to be there. I hasten to add I mean my shots, but I can also see other shots that end up there for what I suspect are similar reasons.

I know more and more people are now taking a similar stance to reduce the 'skew'.

I wonder if a tick box should be used under the comment box, in the same way you can use one to make a comment private, so voting and commenting becomes a single action? In this way, over time, I suspect people would slowly reduce whether they comment that they have voted, as they have not had to do so specifically. I suspect it would also result in an increase of voting, but as it would happen across the board the 'averages' would still be the same.

Thoughts?

brian3824

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:14 pm

I second your thoughts. I understand this is an issue that has not really been addressed by PBase and as such the validity of the voting system has no checks and balances. As you have so correctly noted, it has been "skewed" for a while.

You have a good idea about the check box for voting. This would at least make sure that when a person said they voted, they actualy did vote.

To make the voting system truly balanced, Pbase has to level the playing field. They should do this by allowing each member "x" number of votes per day, thats it. Lets say the number of votes each Pbaser was allowed to cast was 5 each day. You can rest assured the person would be far more judicious in what they voted on. This would stop voting abuse. The Pbase system already knows/tracks that you have voted for a shot....so I would think they could also amend their software code to track how many votes each person has used from their daily alotment.

So... get a box for voting. Agreed.
Only allow each Pbase member a set number of votes per day. Agreed.

My two cents. For what its worth.

debbiebb07

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:14 am

I like Brian's idea of a "set number" of votes a person is allowed in a day!

I removed myself from the rat-race of declaring a "vote" simply because I did allow myself (and my ego) to get caught up into the "popular photo" contention. After a few months of that, I began to ask myself "Why??". Having the number one photo for the week, in all reality, means nothing other than an ego boost (speaking strickly for myself!). I didn't like who I was becoming. I'm not saying it's bad to be number one. I just cannot handle it. It would be like a gambling addiction for some.

So, there you have it! The humanity of Debbie! Yes! Women can have an ego too ya know!!

davidandcarol

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:38 am

I have to agree with the comments made before!
When I first started I have to admit I enjoyed seeing the odd "V" appearing but I was much more concerned with comments which were sometimes useful but more for encouragement than improving the image!
Certainly the only way to improve, in my humble opinion, is to take more photographs and be critical of your own work. To receive votes on images which are second-rate,certainly does not help me!
The biggest thing I get from PBase is the warmth and friendship from other members and the chance to share and enjoy work! I have never been a "Pot Hunter" and have never even bothered to look at "The Scoreboard".I have always said at our camera club that I take pictures for my pleasure, not to please a "judge" - if he or she happens to like it ,then this is a bonus.
There are many workers on PBase whose work is consistantly excellent I can only dream of producing work half as good!There are also so many workers whose images I have never even looked at because of the sheer volume of work on this site! Some of this "non-viewed" work will be outstanding and deserve voting for!
Certainly this Voting needs some control if it is to be at all meaningfull.
I am all in favour of a check -box and a maximum number of votes per day.

Must go now to see if anyone has voted for my last image!! :>))) :wink:

gabsta

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:27 pm

I Still dont understand how the votes work and how you get to see other voted photos....

ive looked around the site in my profile and cant see anything that corresponds to that ....

djwixx

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:58 pm

Try,

Popular Galleries
http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular
Popular Photos
http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular_photos

The galleries are linked via the main gallery link in the Pbase header.

gabsta

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks!!

billinchapelhill

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:09 pm

I too would like to see a voting box to insure honest voting as well as a daily vote limit. I have made both of these requests in forum posts in the past.

The point about voting addiction is right on.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Voting