Board index PBase Feature Requests Suggestion to Encourage Voting

Feature Requests

Suggestion to Encourage Voting

Request changes or modifications.
gschmickle

Suggestion to Encourage Voting

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:59 pm

Alot of people (myself included) would like to see more voting. I've thought of a simple way which may help encourage more of it. Would it be possible to bring up a pop-up dialog which asks the user if they'd like to vote for a gallery or picture whenever they submit a comment for it? I believe that alot of people leaving comments just simply forget to place a vote for the gallery/pic they are commenting on. I believe this would serve as a good reminder. Thanks for hearing me out.
-Guy

ukexpat

Re: Suggestion to Encourage Voting

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:51 pm

gschmickle wrote:Alot of people (myself included) would like to see more voting. I've thought of a simple way which may help encourage more of it. Would it be possible to bring up a pop-up dialog which asks the user if they'd like to vote for a gallery or picture whenever they submit a comment for it? I believe that alot of people leaving comments just simply forget to place a vote for the gallery/pic they are commenting on. I believe this would serve as a good reminder. Thanks for hearing me out.
-Guy

Or maybe on the comment form have a "vote for this gallery/picture" check box, that is checked by default?

w_d_p

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:35 pm

I think Nigel 's idea is terrific! There are actually a lot of people who overlook the voting option, or are so focused on the comments they intend to make that the additional act of voting doesn't occur to them. A default checked box-- which would have to be UN-checked in order to avoid casting a vote-- would certainly pick things up.

Guy's suggestion is unquestionably in the right spirit, but pop-up boxes are generally considered annoyances, and might not encourage visitors to take the positive step of voting for a gallery or an image.

Best wishes,

Shoshanna Moser
http://www.pbase.com/w_d_p/shoshanna

goislands

no thank you...

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:23 pm

Leaving vote box "ON" does not taste well in my book. It is like the typical online questionnaire when you enroll someplace:
"I will send you any amount of SPAM unless, well, unless you have spotted the box and 'unchecked' it."

Make voting button more visible: yes.

Enabling some annoying extra questions while browsing images: DEFINITELY NO, NO, NO. :shock: Baaaad idea.

You wrote that "allota people" would like to vote. I would not, I am also not interested in receiving votes.
The less I am interested in Photo Of The Day and such ideas!

Of course my being not interested is not disruptive to all folks who were looking after this feature and use it now in numbers!
As they say: "your mileage may vary." We all like the diversity of taste. Go forth and use a feature, but do not be forced to use it.

Thomas

srijith

Re: Suggestion to Encourage Voting

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:10 am

ukexpat wrote:Or maybe on the comment form have a "vote for this gallery/picture" check box, that is checked by default?

A lot of people find the 'on/checked by default' style annoying, whether it be voting or an option to receive junk emails etc.

One problem I find with the present voting link is the fact that it is not eye-catching. It just jells in with the rest of the whole comments, EXIF data etc. Making the "Vote" link more prominent will help, I guess.

gillettecraig

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:28 am

Default (action unless negated) boxes would simply flood the system. You can look or comment without necessarily thinking it's a favorite, etc.

lwh

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:36 pm

Please no "pop-up". I like the voting the way it is.

srijith

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:20 pm

As I mentioned above, making the "vote for this image" link a bit more conspicuous might do the trick.

northstar37

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:20 pm

You could maybe CHOOSE how big you wanted the button to be. Tiny for the more modest and HUMUNGOUS for the more confident 8)

Board index PBase Feature Requests Suggestion to Encourage Voting