Board index PBase Feature Requests Geotagging again... now is the time!!

Feature Requests

Geotagging again... now is the time!!

Request changes or modifications.
nolock

Geotagging again... now is the time!!

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:12 am

I'd like to see this capability added, it is an increasingly available component of EXIF data, and can give very accurate image location information, along with the ability to link through Google Earth, for example. I am just starting to use the Sony GPS-CS1 track data storing device, but GPS track data is also available from a number of other GPS devices. I think it won't be too long before cameras have 'built in' GPS receivers...

Anybody else using this?

csloan

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:33 pm

I would like to second this request. I'm perfectly happy (in fact delighted) with PBase generally...BUT I am about to start geotagging all of my photos. If I can't display that information on PBase, I'm afraid I'm going to have to move to one of the other sites.

csloan

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:28 pm

Does anyone from PBase actually read these? The lack of replies is stunning. I have found a tool that will migrate galleries from PBase to SmugMug, which appears to support geotagging, so I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.

nolock

Post Sat May 05, 2007 4:26 am

The newest version of Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) now supports geotagging, but you have to download all the plugins and install them as well. When viewing the EXIF data of a geotagged image, you will see a 'Google Earth' option, which will give you the GE view of your image's location.

We need some input from someone who knows how to construct Google Earth 'hot links' which might be included in the 'caption' text box. Maybe cross post this to the HTML forum?

I am of the belief that GPS sensors will be eventually included in all digital cameras, not just the high-end ones.

molly
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Fri May 11, 2007 7:33 pm

We have started developing this as a future project for PBase though we don't have an exact date for expected release at this time. However, it is something we are also interested in doing!
Molly
PBase Team

matiasasun

Post Sat May 12, 2007 3:37 am

molly wrote:We have started developing this as a future project for PBase though we don't have an exact date for expected release at this time. However, it is something we are also interested in doing!

Good! Let hope global warming doesn affect the shape of the earth in the meanwhile.
:lol:

Matias
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

nolock

Post Sun May 13, 2007 7:58 pm

molly wrote:We have started developing this as a future project for PBase though we don't have an exact date for expected release at this time. However, it is something we are also interested in doing!

Thank You, Molly! I am excited to hear this & very glad to hear that you are working on it. I have already found that the few of my images that are geotagged do carry the information into PBase, so it is evident that the upload process seems to keep all the EXIF data there, even if it currently is hidden.

I really look forward to the development of this feature.

mikealex

Post Mon May 14, 2007 8:23 pm

Put me down as another person who'd love to see geotagging added to PBase. I also use a Sony GPS tracker, and Downloader Pro to insert the positional data from the GPS track into my photos.

I've been uploading some of my images to Panoramio, which supports the geotags, but as an online web gallery, it's not good at all.
...Mike
http://www.pbase.com/mikealex
Trying to work my way up to rank amateur

johnpolston

Post Tue May 15, 2007 9:03 pm

I totally agree this is a needed addition to PBase. I have been GeoTagging here and there for the past year and plan on GEOTagging all future trip photos I take. I just wish/hope that PBase teams with Google rather than someone else. It's possible that PBase could create a script that could generate a Google Earth KMZ or KML format file that contained PBase URL links. You could then choose the option in your GeoTagged galleries to tell PBase to create the file and create the clickable Hyperlink to the file at the bottom of your specified gallery. Since PBase is retaining the EXIF information that also includes the GPS info I don't see this being a huge undertaking other than getting the Google Earth info on creating the KML/KMZ file format.

csloan

Post Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:44 am

I am in the process of moving my galleries to SmugMug because of their geotagging support; however I prefer PBase in almost every other respect. So, when PBase releases that feature (hopefully soon), I will likely switch back.

nolock

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:55 pm

Yo admins, any updates?

NY Times article on mapping/geotagging:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technol ... ref=slogin

I have tried unsuccessfully to use html and a Google Earth kml file to create a Google Earth link in my images. Has anybody been able to do this?

I am currently using the Sony GPS CS1 device to geotag, it is fairly accurate. I'll be experimenting with a new Lowrance GPS in the coming months. It creates track log files that may be possibly used.

mikealex

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:33 pm

This would be the #1 thing (by far) on my list of most desirable features.
...Mike
http://www.pbase.com/mikealex
Trying to work my way up to rank amateur

hvr_oosterzele

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:03 am

mikealex wrote:This would be the #1 thing (by far) on my list of most desirable features.

I second that.

hvr_oosterzele

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:06 pm

Maybe I overlooked it but I don't see geotagging in the list of frequently asked feature requests? It shoud be simple to add a few EXIF fields displaying longitude, latitude and height?

nolock

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:23 pm

hvr_oosterzele wrote:Maybe I overlooked it but I don't see geotagging in the list of frequently asked feature requests? It shoud be simple to add a few EXIF fields displaying longitude, latitude and height?

Note the 'last updated' date on that list... not exactly a comprehensive & current compendium of the features many of us would like to see added.

Yes, it would be simple to add another few lines to the EXIF field. And it should be simple to add a hotlink like this: "View This Image In Google Earth" ... They have already said they are working on it so it seems pointless to keep asking. That is good enough for me.

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Geotagging again... now is the time!!