Request changes or modifications.
smith_xt

Post Wed May 30, 2007 12:44 am

STILL NO FEEDBACK ON THIS ... :roll:

molly
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:35 pm

Thanks for everyone's input on this feature.

We are definitely adding this one to our list as we see the importance of being able to fix small errors in the comments.

Also, we will make sure and avoid the problem of editing an offensive comment after the fact, etc. and editing will be limited to a certain amount of time after the comment was originally left.

Feel free to leave any other suggestions you have and we'll check back here as we work on this in the future.
Molly
PBase Team

madlights

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:07 am

Thanks Molly...that's great.

andrys

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:56 am

YAY!

Thanks, Molly.

goislands

Lets stay focussed.

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:22 pm

arjunrc wrote:The problem I forsee is similar to what happens here in the forums. Someone posts something that is flamebait or irks other people, a lot of people respond and the original poster goes ahead and either blanks out his comment or changes it in a way that changes the intent.

Even though many will use it to correct their emails for spelling and typos, how do you avoid the former ?

At the risk of "flamebait you", I am asking: What the content has to do with message correction???? Lets please stay focussed.

What I do, is to resend the corrected message, and delete the old one. I am a notorious typo/grammar mistake maker. Sometimes a word is "in my mind" but not in the typed sentence. I read, re-read and 3rd time re-read the same broken sentence, and I simply do not see it, that each time my brain "inserts" the missing word. My friend, a PhD in linguistics told that this affliction has even a scientific name nowadays. A group of people tend to be incapable to spot their own grammar errors, until they come back after some sizable delay and re-read their text than. Lack of knowledge about this affliction caused that countless children with this problem had always hard time with English class teachers! They were considered "lazy" and not learning our beloved pure grammar.

In my professional work I do not care. I let proofread my papers, and the final text will be polished by the document department. Here in my galleries I find notoriously errors in my grammar, missing words, even wrong words put in by spell corrector. I am astonished about some of them, why I have not seen it before, I am asking myself. Its one of the mysteries of our human perception...
Last edited by goislands on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrys

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:57 pm

goislands,
Molly responded to Arjun's understandable worry about people editing their
comments after people have responded to provocations in comments,
making the responses seem odd.

PBase will have a time limit on how long you can still edit (without the note
showing an edit was made or not-allowing edits). Many places keep
edit-ability to an hour or two.

goislands

Hm... How strange is the need to police everything...

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:31 pm

andrys wrote:goislands,
Molly responded to Arjun's understandable worry about people editing their
comments after people have responded to provocations in comments,
making the responses seem odd.

I have not seen this reply before I wrote my text, thanks for the hint.

I really genuinely disagree with this notion, and this objection as such. The worry is not understandable to me. We cannot, and we should not police everything. Even someone so "official" like Amazon let go of this, and allows now to rewrite, remove, any user review at any time, no limits, no control. As well as it should be! Stay out of it.

My advise is: Delete "provocations," never reply to any. If you do, you lower yourself to the level of the provoker and you deserve what you get.

I do not care about what people would say to my comments. In turn, I for once feel at a liberty to delete, or to show any comment as it seem fit. These are our galleries, and after all: we can always delete any message, incl. our own of course. We can than resend own messages with editorial corrections.

But the opinions may vary, so maybe the compromise would be:

1) Allow to change own comments in own galleries, no limits.
2) Allow to change own comments in galleries of others, as long not shown or replied to.
3) If showing already, or replied to, make the correction possible, but requiring a "show" click of the gallery owner. Than the owner can decide if the change is merely a linguistic fix to the same content.
3) Allow to delete own comments from any place at any time.

In addition, we have "private" messages, which we cannot make visible to others. This is good enough for person-to-person messages or (say) notices with corrections to caption, which become outdated once a correction was made.

I am not at ease with the above possible "compromise" either. Why, oh why to waste time on analyzing and censoring such stuff?? We are responsible to keep our photography in a presentable form. Any sign of verbal abuse and arguments would be a negative testament to ourselves and would scare visitors off. Do not show, and do not reply to the so called "provocations." Keep the trash out, like in a real life.

I would suggest that PBase would provide only the mode "keep comments hidden until made visible by gallery owner." Read them first, show whatever seem appropriate. End of the story, return to doing photography.
Thomas

smith_xt

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:09 am

molly wrote:Thanks for everyone's input on this feature.

We are definitely adding this one to our list as we see the importance of being able to fix small errors in the comments.

Also, we will make sure and avoid the problem of editing an offensive comment after the fact, etc. and editing will be limited to a certain amount of time after the comment was originally left.

Feel free to leave any other suggestions you have and we'll check back here as we work on this in the future.

Well I must say I appreciate the feedback on this topic. Thanks Molly and hopefully we'll see this available before too long.

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Re: Hm... How strange is the need to police everything...

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:06 pm

goislands wrote:1) Allow to change own comments in own galleries, no limits.
2) Allow to change own comments in galleries of others, as long not shown or replied to.
3) If showing already, or replied to, make the correction possible, but requiring a "show" click of the gallery owner. Than the owner can decide if the change is merely a linguistic fix to the same content.
3) Allow to delete own comments from any place at any time.

goislands wrote:I would suggest that PBase would provide only the mode "keep comments hidden until made visible by gallery owner." Read them first, show whatever seem appropriate. End of the story, return to doing photography.
Thomas

goislands, your requests are quite reasonable. If I have anything to do with the programming of this feature I will be sure to keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks for the input.

smith_xt

Re:

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:45 am

smith_xt wrote:
molly wrote:Thanks for everyone's input on this feature.

Well I must say I appreciate the feedback on this topic. Thanks Molly and hopefully we'll see this available before too long.

Hey its been over a year now with nothing being implemented on his request. Is this still something that can be done?

Thanks

Previous

Board index PBase Feature Requests A simple comment edit request