Board index PBase Feature Requests Is Pbase run by just 2 people?

Feature Requests

Is Pbase run by just 2 people?

Request changes or modifications.
jackcnd

Is Pbase run by just 2 people?

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:58 am

As I've posted before the concept of PBase is great, and even "as is" it's a good value. It's just seems reading these forums that many members and I'm sure potential members would like some aspects improved quicker.

The response is its coming and references are made to 'Slug' being busy keeping the site's performance in check, and Emily busy coding.

Is PBase really just run by 2 people? And if so, why?

It seems the base of users and potential users is expanding faster than the site is maturing. Why not hire some top-notch developers/designers to address quickly some of the member’s requests and redesign the edit screens to a professional look, etc?

Things like extracting the XML EXIF info from Adobe Photoshop CS Raw jpg images, could be completed in less than a day, and be a instant benefit to many members.

I don’t mean to knock PBase, maybe the answer is the owners like it the way it is, and that’s fine, it just seems its ready to go to the next level.

ugot2bkdng

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:12 am

Are you ready to pay for the next level?

Just curious. :D
Chuck

joesimages

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:18 am

ugot2bkdng wrote:Are you ready to pay for the next level?

Just curious. :D

Yes, I'd be glad to pay for features that are useful.

jackcnd

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:18 am

ugot2bkdng: Do you represent PBase?

I'm assuming that PBase paid memberships are growing and funds are available to invest in the improvment. Also that a fresh update would increase membership.

If the original post is taken with offense please remove it, that was not the intention.

ugot2bkdng

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:29 am

jackcnd,

I have nothing to do with pbase other than I am a paying member. I was just asking the question out of curiosity. :)

My experience in life has been, most things have a price. I believe pbase is a very inexpensive photo repository ( I have seen several at twice the price). I also know from experience that software development and maintenance is not cheap. So, my question was posited as a user, "how much are you willing to pay for the changes you perceive that pbase needs?" If I understand you correctly, nothing beyond what you are currently paying. That is an okay answer. I just was curious, that is all. :)

BTW, I did not find your post offensive in any manner. :)
Chuck

jackcnd

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:39 am

Chuck,

You seem to have misunderstood my reply, I did not comment on if I would be willing to pay for additional features. Thats not the point of my post.

The much bigger picture, is that digital photography is booming. PBase is a pioneer and a well respected gallery site. I think an opportunity exists to take it to the next level, and if aspects were improved the added revenue from new memberships would more than cover costs.

But if my personal input is needed, Yes I would too be willing to pay more for an improved product, and Im sure many others would agree, but I think a fresh look and updates need to be seen first

olliemaitland

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:32 am

Yeah, i'm with jackcnd on this...

Essentially pbase has a great infrastructure, very good resources and dedicated experts running it... what it doesn't seem to have (which doesn't bother me) is much mainstream appeal in the way it looks or is set out. I guess that this may well be one of pbase's desirable features although i do think that a little reworking on the layout could help along with a more extensive documentation section.

Do pbase advertise?

ilanphoto

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:29 pm

I will just like to add that I like Pbase the way it is, yes, there are a few improvements I would like to say but I would most definitely NOT want to pay any extra for any new feature.
What I need is a stable show case I have that now
Ilan

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:13 am

PBase only exists because we haven't tried to grow too fast.
We don't waste cash on a fancy office or a bunch of employees.
Think Zing and Photopoint. Blew through millions of dollars only to implode.
Development here may be slower than you'd like, but PBase isn't going to die, and things will continue to improve.

-slug

(as for adobe's new method of storing exif data, ive already done a couple implementations of this. will put it online after some more testing.)

jackcnd

Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:45 pm

Thanks for the reply, as I said in the original post I very much like Pbase "As Is". Glad to hear it will continue.

Look forward to the XML Exif update.

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:44 am

I like PBase too just as it is. I have asked for a few new features over the months I've had my gallery, such as vote count per gallery and image being available to site owner etc. Some of what I wanted has been done even before I asked. It's nice to see that new features come along every week or so.

There is really only ONE thing I do not like about pbase as it is. I don't like this purple background on the forum posts. I find it really hard on the eyes. I'd prefer a white background. But otherwise, the site looks great and works great!

By the way, you selling any shares? Need partners? Didn't think so, but you can't blame a gal for asking.
:)

rsilfverberg

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:25 pm

Other people have raised that same worry in the past. If you are truly worried then personally I think smugmug is the closest to a pbase you will find out there.

Comparison at: http://www.smugmug.com/aboutus/pbase.mg?adtype=google&adname=pbase&addays=30

So far pbase has served me well thought but must admit that smugmug is an interesting site.

uli1

Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:56 am

I think Pbase is great as it is......It hasn't been down for ages , it's fast and the features have improved a lot since I have joint...well done Slug !

shecodes

Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:33 pm

rsilfverberg wrote:Other people have raised that same worry in the past. If you are truly worried then personally I think smugmug is the closest to a pbase you will find out there.

Comparison at: http://www.smugmug.com/aboutus/pbase.mg?adtype=google&adname=pbase&addays=30

So far pbase has served me well thought but must admit that smugmug is an interesting site.

I like being able to upload multiple photos without having to put them in a .zip file..

I have an account on both PBase and Smugmug. They serve similar purposes, to have a place to display photos without me having to worry about bandwidth on PBase, and storage space on Smugmug.

I upload a subset of my photos at PBase, and whole directories of photos on SmugMug (backup storage)

ilanphoto

Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:25 pm

rsilfverberg wrote:Other people have raised that same worry in the past. If you are truly worried then personally I think smugmug is the closest to a pbase you will find out there.

Just took a look at the comparison what they are comparing is a 100$ annual fee to Pbase's 23$ moreover with more than 2,000 hits per day I will have to pay for at least power user cost which is more than double. In any case I feel at home at Pbase now that I have started working with the CSS I believe I am here to stay.

I would like to take this chance to thank Emily and Slug for a wonderful site and as I read in another post, if you ever think of selling shares count me in :D

Ilan

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Is Pbase run by just 2 people?