Board index PBase Feature Requests Please Remove Flowers in Popular Galleries Thumbnails

Feature Requests

Please Remove Flowers in Popular Galleries Thumbnails

Request changes or modifications.
silentplummet

Please Remove Flowers in Popular Galleries Thumbnails

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:33 am

While I don't approve of flower photos in general I realize that nothing I say will cause PBase to ban them. But recently I've noticed a very offensive trend, full flowers in thumbnails of popular galleries. I'm not talking about implied flowers--the gallery title says there will be flowers--or implicit flowers--you can tell that the subject is a flower but you can't see anything--but shots where areas normally covered by the skimpiest of petals are shown.

To me there's a fundamental difference between having access to flowers and having them appear without warning. As an adult I find it very bothersome to be scrolling through the popular galleries and see naked flowers. But a worse problem is that my children are getting interested in photography and at the present time I can't go cruising through the popular galleries with them because I don't know when clearly inappropriate images will pop up.

I'd like to recommend that PBase fix this. One approach would be to add the image rating system that PhotoAccess has. Each image is rated, everyone's default setting is G, each user can set their threshold to whatever they want. If an image is rated higher than your threshold you just see a canned icon saying that the image is locked. This approach allows people who want to look at naked flowers to just change their settings once in a lifetime and then be unaware of any ratings while allowing kids etc to see the vast majority of non-botanical imagery on PBase without worrying about accidentally being exposed to plant imagery.

Please don't talk to me about "artistic" flowers. I doubt I'd agree with you but it doesn't matter. I don't want my 12 year old son seing "artistic" flower photos even if an adult could appreciate them as art.

This issue is serious enough to me to cause me to have me considering leaving PBase and using another site. I don't know what caused this trend because until the last few weeks i can't remember seeing a real flower shot in the popular galleries, lots of galleries that said they contained flowers but no flower thumbnails. I really hope PBase can fix this and stay a family friendly site.

Thanks.
Last edited by silentplummet on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

photoarrow

tou-che' -- e.o.m. --

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:20 am

tou-che' -- e.o.m. --

goislands

Good cause, I support this motion!!

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:28 am

Finally someone speaks the truth about this flowery menace!

trimoon

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:28 am

What about these photographers that like to go out and shoot juvenile flowers. My God while they're still buds, how sick is that?
Steve

Trimoon's Blog
http://asnailpace.com/blog

northstar37

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:31 pm

Trees are ok though aren't they?

matiasasun

Use Raid

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:28 pm

northstar37 wrote:Trees are ok though aren't they?

Yeah... Trees ok. But I think Bug pictures should not be allowed too. I mean, why someone think it is artistic to take a photo of a bug? huh? C´mon people! Where is our sense of beauty! :x

We all have spiders or flies from time to time in our home but we don´t take pseudo-artistic photos of them all the time! Personally being an aracnofobic I do not want to see pictures of spiders go boom into the populars.
Last edited by matiasasun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

arjunrc

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:58 pm

NO! Trees are not allowed. Group flowers are worse than two flowers. Where is your sense of ethics ?

regds
arjun

northstar37 wrote:Trees are ok though aren't they?

isogood

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:05 pm

And what about the cats ?

Cats are managing an invasion of the webphotography planet !
Please someone, do something, urgent !

jude_53

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:59 pm

heh

Now who's going to clean the water that spewed from my mouth onto the keyboard?

:D

clickaway

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:44 am

I only post flower shots if they have categorically told me and signed a model release.

Some people say that if they choose to flaunt themselves with loudly coloured blooms, then aren't they just attention seeking?

And as for shots with bees doing there stuff in there too, well, that's beyond the pale.

tomcat68

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:51 am

Don't forget to ban all flowers that are fully entwined with each other. What will happen next, I dare to think!

deputydasm

Re: Please Remove Flowers in Popular Galleries Thumbnails

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:57 pm

silentplummet wrote:While I don't approve of flower photos in general I realize that nothing I say will cause PBase to ban them. But recently I've noticed a very offensive trend, full flowers in thumbnails of popular galleries. I'm not talking about implied flowers--the gallery title says there will be flowers--or implicit flowers--you can tell that the subject is a flower but you can't see anything--but shots where areas normally covered by the skimpiest of petals are shown.

To me there's a fundamental difference between having access to flowers and having them appear without warning. As an adult I find it very bothersome to be scrolling through the popular galleries and see naked flowers. But a worse problem is that my children are getting interested in photography and at the present time I can't go cruising through the popular galleries with them because I don't know when clearly inappropriate images will pop up.

I'd like to recommend that PBase fix this. One approach would be to add the image rating system that PhotoAccess has. Each image is rated, everyone's default setting is G, each user can set their threshold to whatever they want. If an image is rated higher than your threshold you just see a canned icon saying that the image is locked. This approach allows people who want to look at naked flowers to just change their settings once in a lifetime and then be unaware of any ratings while allowing kids etc to see the vast majority of non-botanical imagery on PBase without worrying about accidentally being exposed to plant imagery.

Please don't talk to me about "artistic" flowers. I doubt I'd agree with you but it doesn't matter. I don't want my 12 year old son seing "artistic" flower photos even if an adult could appreciate them as art.

This issue is serious enough to me to cause me to have me considering leaving PBase and using another site. I don't know what caused this trend because until the last few weeks i can't remember seeing a real flower shot in the popular galleries, lots of galleries that said they contained flowers but no flower thumbnails. I really hope PBase can fix this and stay a family friendly site.

Thanks.

Hahahahahahahhh!!
Jesus some people need to get a life.
I think the major complaint was over the fact the nudity was getting out of hand.
Explicite!!
A lot of competition in here.
Each trying to outdo each other.
Again I ask, May I post my penis collection?
I can post very tastfully........... ahem!!
:)
Come on guys keep it fun!

djwixx

WARNING: NAKED FLOWER

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:36 pm

Only kidding but I get the point.................................

Is pbase about photography, child friendly photography or picture archiving? Ultimately given the nature of photography, the pictures that people like to take and to see, would it not be simpler to not look at Pbase with the kids around?

I've suggested a rating system before but it depends on people being reasonable and consistant and hence will always fail. Many will simple not rate pictures so they still get the 'exposure'. Also, who's to say your rating of a picture would be considered reasonable and block pictures that others are more than happy with.

Simple answer - use parental control................................

reub2000

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:52 am

Good parody.

dang

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:26 am

:lol:
This has to be the funniest post I've seen in the forum to date!

bump

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Please Remove Flowers in Popular Galleries Thumbnails