Board index PBase Feature Requests New Way to Use Votes

Feature Requests

New Way to Use Votes

Request changes or modifications.
pstewart

New Way to Use Votes

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:04 pm

There has been so much hassle with the pop lists, I have what I think is a much better way to use votes.

How about if we keep the voting system but instead of using votes to make a pop list, we can each SEE how many votes each of our galleries and images got, and ONLY we can see it?

Would be so much more meaningful. Much more helpful!

And we wouldn't have all these posts complaining about how the pop lists don't work right.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:21 pm

There is absolutely no hassle with the populr galleries lists! Only in your mind Phyllis.

How about if we keep the voting system but instead of using votes to make a pop list, we can each SEE how many votes each of our galleries and images got, and ONLY we can see it

THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE PERIOD. :!: :!: :!: And we don't need to know any numbers anyway and it would ony encourage cheating I think. This instead of the lists, eeeecccckkkkk :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Allow me explain something to you:

The point of the popular galleries is for other people to easily view some relatively high quality galleries without having to go through photos and people randomly.

So an individual member knowing the vote count of there own images does absolutely nothing to better this system. Even if you did keep the system. If enough people like your galleries you will move up the lists.

If you want an idea of when a vote comes in just watch it's position/movement in relationship to the other galleries positioned around it.

Please make up your mind, first you don't care, then you do care, then you don't care, blah, blah, blah...

Just upload some pics and the votes will come. A member knowing there own totals would encourage them to conspire with other members to whore the votes. This would not be a good idea I don't think. It serves no real purpose.

The system is what it is and it works fine for now. The more votes that come in the better the system gets.

Later

The meaningful and helpful part of the system is not knowing a number. It is being able to see how your galleries stand in relationship to your peers galleries. Or just seeing how good the people think a gallery is. To do this a single number means nothing and the numberless lists mean everything.

Do away with the lists for a private number, I have heard it all now! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:38 pm

Votes would have real meaning if we knew our own counts. People don't need pop lists to tell them what to look at or what they will/should like. People do, however, need feedback on their own images, and this would be just one more way to provide that, a very quick and easy way for all.

If you want to keep the pop lists too, fine. I don't care one way or another about that, actually. But I DO want the feedback on how many votes my IMAGES get, even more so than whole galleries. I want to rate my pics against each other, not against the work of others. I want to know which of my pics people like most so I can keep heading in that direction for future photos or photo art.

The numbers exist in the system. All I ask is that I can view my votes per image. Galleries too, but mostly images.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:39 pm

WTF does a standalone number mean. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!:

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:40 pm

People knowing the vote totals would encourage CHEATING! :!: :!:

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:42 pm

People don't view all of your pics in anywhere near consistant numbers and they are not displayed anwhere near a test condition. Use the freakin hit count or comments for gosh sake. Besides you can figure it youerself. You been doing pics professionally for quite sometime now.
Geeeesh!!!!!!!!

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:43 pm

You sure do change your mind a lot in one day stewy, :roll: :roll: :!: :!:

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:04 pm

minoltaman wrote:WTF does a standalone number mean. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!:

It means the number of votes that images received. If one of my images received 26 votes and another got only 2 votes, or 0 votes, then I have valuable information that helps me decide which direction to go in myphotos/art. This may mean nothing to you, but I would find it very helpful.

minoltaman wrote:People knowing the vote totals would encourage CHEATING! :!: :!:

This isn't logical. If people want to cheat, they will get all the votes they possibly can in any case. Besides, that's one more advantage of doing away with the pop lists...no more cheating because there is nothing to cheat about!

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:12 pm

It means the number of votes that images received. If one of my images received 26 votes and another got only 2 votes, or 0 votes, then I have valuable information that helps me decide which direction to go in myphotos/art. This may mean nothing to you, but I would find it very helpful.

This is absurd thinking. You are clueless to who is voting. They could be an artist genius or a derelict. Two idiots voting for an image they like is not very helpful.

The people are not viewing all of your images when they vote so it is a completely invalid way to judge your pics.

Your pics are not displayed in anywher near an ideal test condition.

You are clueless to their voting criteria.

Hundreds of other things reasons this type of conclusion very invalid.

This isn't logical. If people want to cheat, they will get all the votes they possibly can in any case. Besides, that's one more advantage of doing away with the pop lists...no more cheating because there is nothing to cheat about!

Oh, changed yuor mind again and want to do away with the pop lists again for the privete number that means absolutely nothing!!!!

Blechhhhhhhhhkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

If you don't care about the popular galleries plese quit reposting on the subject THX.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:21 pm

Photo sharing allows photographers to learn from each other.
You determine the popularity of galleries by voting on them.
Just click on the Vote for this gallery link at the bottom of a gallery that you like.
There is no limit to how many galleries you can vote for, so vote for anything you like.

The purpose of the popularity ranking is so we can easily find galleries that other people think are worth looking at.
There are no defined criteria, but galleries with good technical or artistic quality will float to the top.

This is still new so there are not yet many votes.
Only votes from a recent period of days are shown by default.
Use the period links to view votes from the last N days, or all days.
Some filters are in place to prevent people from skewing the votes by creating many accounts just to vote on their own galleries.

Live with it.

thx

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:32 pm

I don't have to "live with it." That's why there is a "new feature request" forum. I have made a request to be able to see my personal image vote count. It's a reasonable request and I hope it will be implemented.

Removing the pop lists is a separate part of the suggestion. If most people want it, then it will stay, which is fine with me. I don't really care much about what happens to the pop lists.

But I do care a lot about seeing my image vote counts, because that is helpful info I could really use.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:34 pm

Your suggestion is real dumb I think. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

You made you request. Now be quiet for a while on this subject please.

thx

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:35 pm

Removing the pop lists is a separate part of the suggestion. If most people want it, then it will stay, which is fine with me. I don't really care much about what happens to the pop lists.

You are full of bunk junk. You have been posting all day long re this subject.

Many other days too.....

Later

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:52 pm

minoltaman wrote:Your suggestion is real dumb I think. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

You made you request. Now be quiet for a while on this subject please.

thx

What is "dumb" about letting folks see how many votes each of their images receive?

And why must I be quiet while you are allowed to continue your campaign against my idea? I am campaigning FOR something...for seeing our own vote totals. I don't see why you would bother to campaign against this idea anyway. It needn't stop the pop lists or even affect you in any way. It would be an extra feature, one that I would find very helpful.

Well, everyone knows how we both feel about this issue. It's time to hear from some other members on this.

To everyone: Would YOU like to see your own vote total for individual images? If so, please say so here. Thanks.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:55 pm

Knowing the vote totals would inspire CHEATING and be almost meaningless without the lists.

You have already offended everyone on the popular galleries list already by saying they are completely worthless.

A NUMBER means NOTHING without the LISTS.

That is WHY YOUr IDEA is SO DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The numbers are almost completely meaningless standing alone. I already explained that to you.

Geeeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: i say get a clue...............PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!:
Last edited by minoltaman on Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests New Way to Use Votes