Board index PBase Feature Requests Popular Galleries

Feature Requests

Popular Galleries

Request changes or modifications.
minoltaman

Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:03 am

Nice photos Bill.

Phyllis your words below are almost straight crazytalk I think.
What a sad waste. The idea of pop lists is a good one, but the way it's being abused makes it into a joke and there doesn't seem to be a way out. Too bad. I say just get rid of voting altogether. Just let folks use the random galleries instead.

:o :shock: :? :!: :shock: :o :o :!: :!:

That statement just does not make any sense PERIOD.

Click the following two links to view some good galleries and skip the random junk. My gosh.....I can not believe I just read what I read.

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=90

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=all

There you go Phyllis, these lists are certainly not a waste. Golly jeepers, stop worrying about the three vote wonders. :!: :!: :!:

And quit calling the pop galleries a waste.

The two lists again.

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=90

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=all

Shewww....
Last edited by minoltaman on Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

minoltaman

Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:04 am

What a sad waste. The idea of pop lists is a good one, but the way it's being abused makes it into a joke and there doesn't seem to be a way out. Too bad. I say just get rid of voting altogether. Just let folks use the random galleries instead.

Let me reiterate, this would not be a good idea at all! :!: :!: :!: :!:

Cheers

andrys

Re: Popular Galleries

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:09 am

jsb wrote:I don't see this happening. Rather, the popular galleries seem to be dominated by "special interest" galleries

I have never checked "Popular Galleries" -- But I've been mesmerized by the "Example Galleries" on the home page -- these change each time and I have found some wonderful stuff !!!

Have sent people URLs and they too are impressed by what shows up there. I don't know about you all. 4 galleries, which change each time in the Example Galleries is more than I can browse, so I haven't looked at anything designated "Popular" ... I agree that "voting" just presents problems. At best people will 'trade' visits and votes and that's how it is. We have this problem with music charts too on music-streaming istes.

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:11 am

Don, we obviously have different opinions about the pop galleries lists. I just looked and found that I have 7 galleries in the all-time and 14 in the 90-day, so it's not sour grapes in case anyone would think that. I just don't think the pop lists add much to the site, especially given the way they have been abused lately. I still prefer seeing the random photos and finding galleries to view that way. Also Show and Tell announcements in the forum, and looking up folks who post comments in my galleries.

Like Andrys, not everyone is concerned with what's "popular" or if they make a list or not. Some, like Andrys, don't even bother looking at them. We all have our own way of enjoying PBase. Just because Andrys and I don't think that much of pop gallery lists doesn't make us "crazy"...just means we have different priorities and different ways of using the site.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:06 pm

I just don't think the pop lists add much to the site, especially given the way they have been abused lately.

You are dead wrong, you must be the one abusing 'cuz no one elese is!!!! :!: :!: :!: You are so full of beans, the pop galleries is one of the best features of this site. Look at all of the pages/area/links dedicated to it. Jeepers creepers, you are just being goofy now. You live for the popular galleries. You are not going to fool me! :!: :!: :!:

I still prefer seeing the random photos and finding galleries to view that way

Straight crazy talk, you are one of the few :!: :!:
Like Andrys, not everyone is concerned with what's "popular" or if they make a list or not. Some, like Andrys, don't even bother looking at them.

So what...who gives a rats ass???

Just because Andrys and I don't think that much of pop gallery lists doesn't make us "crazy"...just means we have different priorities and different ways of using the site.

You are so full of horse dooky. You are obcessed with the pop galleries and pbase itself. You made several links about cheating, a whole thread about accidently "cheating" your galleries up the popular lists. And you made posts at inno telling you people to vote for your galleries to help the growth of inno. Not to mention you make tons of posts trying to solicit comments and votes and proubly boast when your galleries are in th pop lists.

You are so full of beans!!!!!! :!: :!:

Then you made a fancy apology screenshot when you "cheated"and defended your popular galleries to the hilt on many occasions.

You outta start being honest Phyllis. You like the pop galleries as much as thre next guy. Your posts previous to this thread more than prove it.

Please run this line of junk somewhere else. Not to many people will buy any of that spew/speak.

See ya Phyllis
Last edited by minoltaman on Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:12 pm

TO PROVE MY POINT :!: :!: :!: :!:

andrys words:
I have never checked "Popular Galleries" -- But I've been mesmerized by the "Example Galleries" on the home page -- these change each time and I have found some wonderful stuff !!!

WHOOOOOOAAAA HOLD THE DOOR.

Mezmerized huh???>>>>Well, the example lists is connected directly to the 90day popular gallery list :!: :!: :!:

So you are mesmerized by the random selections off of the 90day popular list. :!: :!: All galleries on the 90 day list with more than [4] votes are in the rotation to be displayed on the example page.

This page used to suck with old galleries until about a month or two ago when I made a suggestion/complaint to slug that he change the examples page to connect to the poular galleries list. Slug liked my reccomendation, I guess, and changed the page to connect to the 90 day list right away.

Now it is a GREAT example page :!: :!: Remember, conncted directly to the 90 day galleries list. :!: :!:

Thanks for helping make my point on the value of voting and the 90day and all-time list.

Happy Viewing and Voting!!!!
Last edited by minoltaman on Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:22 pm

To further substantiate my point...

slug's repy to my question/rant/suggestions/complaints on how the old example page sucked badly andf needed a change!

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 06:42 pm Post subject: criteria now changed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi
we'll try this.
the front page galleries are now selected randomly from the popular galleries that have received at least4 votes in the last 90 days.

should keep the selection fresh while keeping evil/uninteresting stuff from showing up on the front page.

-slug

There you have it...and that is how the example galleries got so good all of the sudden!!!!

The 90 day poular list!!! :lol: :lol: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :idea:

Here is my thread:

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... sc&start=0

Once again the 90 day and all-time list are VERY important features of pbase. They show quality galleries and now even the EXAMPLE gallery page is a winner too!!!!!!

Sheeww.....I almost forgot.....
HAPPY VOTING :!: :!: :lol: :!:

framewerkz

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:27 pm

Don. Let it go. Please.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:27 pm

andrys words:

Have sent people URLs and they too are impressed by what shows up there. I don't know about you all. 4 galleries, which change each time in the Example Galleries is more than I can browse, so I haven't looked at anything designated "Popular" ... I agree that "voting" just presents problems

Dead Wrong :!: :!:

You are impressed because the examples page is now connected directly to the 90day popular list!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!:

Actually, you have been looking at EVERYTHING that has at least 4 votes on the 90day popular gallery list.

I agree though, the examples page now ROCKS!!! :!: :!: :!: 8)

Cheers and I hope this clears things up.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:30 pm

F/w, just stay out of it. Thx.

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:44 pm

minoltaman wrote:You are so full of horse dooky. You are obcessed with the pop galleries and pbase itself.

If I were obsessed with the pop galleries as you say, why would I be suggesting we get rid of the voting system altogether?

Again, we are all entitled to our own different opinions about what we enjoy doing here. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to use this site. Well, there is ONE wrong way--writing rude posts full of expressions like "you are so full of horse dooky."

As far as being "obsessed with PBase itself," I am not the one uploading 600 pics per day. Sure I love this site...who wouldn't? But not quite "obsessed" with it. I am more obsessed with photo art and new photos.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:53 pm

If you were not obcessed with the lists you would not have made multiple posts on multiple threads in multiple forums on EVERY thread the last two months dealing with the popular galleries. You were so concerned with them you have made apologetic threads regarding your "accidently popular" galleries. You have begged for votes at your own website/forum from your members. You have mentioned how popular your galleires are on numerous occasions. You have even taken the time to count down 500 galleries or more to get the EXACT number of galleries you have on the popular lists. I could go on and on and on and on and on! :!: :!: :!:

You have boasted NUMEROUS times on how popular this or that is. Kepp posting on this subject and I will start linking your at least 50 or more posts on the subject of the popular galleries.

Your assertion that you are not concerned with the popular galleries list is completey absurd. Look at you now....posting on a popular galleries thread saying you like the random galleries and then getting other postsre to post completely incorrect information in defense of your argument.

Lady, you take the cake. You rhave said at leats half a dozen times or more that you run around here voting for stuff everyday. All you offer here usually is complete bs. Makle another post and I will show you how obcessed you are with the pop galleries by quoting you and linking the quotes over the last two months.

That's it.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:00 pm

I am not the one uploading 600 pics per day

You don't have the time or the photos, that's why. BTW, I wish I could get 600 pics a day done!

Watch me upload another 10,000 pics or more this year. Yes, it does take time to edit each one of those pics. What I am obcessed with is making one of the largest personal photo libraries on the net. You seemed to be obcessed with disagreeing with everything true and correct.

Later much please.
Last edited by minoltaman on Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:00 pm

I got a good idea while reading that. How about if we KEEP the voting system but instead of using votes to make a pop list, we can each SEE how many votes each of our galleries and images got, and ONLY we can see it? Would be so much more meaningful. Much more helpful!

Hmmm...do I have to post this in the "new feature" section or will the powers that be see it here?

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:04 pm

Yeah, post it in the new feature section.

But it don't matter anyway, it's kinda easy to figure out a general assumption of when you are getting a vote or two. Just install the nedsat counter on some pages and then track your galleries movement versus the other galleries situated similarly on the lists. It's pretty easy to tell when a vote comes in if you pay close attention to the neiboring galleries around your popular galleries and the movement of your gallery in relationship to them.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Feature Requests Popular Galleries