Board index PBase Feature Requests FYI: Photoshop CS camera raw & EXIF issue

Feature Requests

FYI: Photoshop CS camera raw & EXIF issue

Request changes or modifications.
oeyvind

FYI: Photoshop CS camera raw & EXIF issue

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:30 am

Just FYI on this:

Try open a camera RAW file, then just save the file to either JPEG or TIFF format using the SAVE or SAVE AS command from the File menu.

Now, use a viewer/reader than can read EXIF to open the saved file, i.e. iView Media Pro or EXIF-O-Matic, etc..

I have failed to see any EXIF information now! All gone with the wing.

Strangely, I can still see them if I use the PS CS browse window... there's no such problem with PS 7.01. and ACR 1.0

Anyway here's an explanation on why this is happening some 3 hours from Adobe's Thomas Knoll on the no EXIF showing in camera raw converted files:

Photoshop CS's metadata logic is based on XMP. ACR 2.0 transfers the exif data directly to Photoshop CS via XMP.

You need to view the resulting images in an XMP aware viewer to see the EXIF data inside the XMP data block.

So the EXIF data is there, not just in a form that older programs can see until they are updated to support XMP based metadata

Hope this will explaination will help you all understand.

Great explanation but I'm not aware of any XMP metadata aware app for extracting EXIF.... :(

uli1

Post Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:29 am

How anoying...is there a fix for it ?
It was always one of the many reasons to use Pbase...I hope it can be fixed ...

oeyvind

Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:36 am

Maybe pbase can integrate this engine:

http://www.chimpen.com/xmp/extract

monoprint

Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:06 am

uli1 wrote:How anoying...is there a fix for it ?
It was always one of the many reasons to use Pbase...I hope it can be fixed ...

There will be. On Rob Galbraith's site, in this thread: http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthreads/ ... o=&fpart=1

Thomas Knoll says:

To help users during this transition time until XMP is more widely supported, the first "new camera support" update to Adobe Camera Raw 2.0 will be modified to mirror the EXIF information to both the old EXIF tags and the new XMP structures.

The schedule for this Camera Raw update release has not been announced yet, but my guess is sometime early next year.

Thomas Knoll

That should give people some breathing space until programs and sites that make use of the EXIF data can update.

oeyvind

Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:42 pm

thanks for the info.

hk_traveller

Re: FYI: Photoshop CS camera raw & EXIF issue

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:04 am

oeyvind wrote:Just FYI on this:

Try open a camera RAW file, then just save the file to either JPEG or TIFF format using the SAVE or SAVE AS command from the File menu.

Now, use a viewer/reader than can read EXIF to open the saved file, i.e. iView Media Pro or EXIF-O-Matic, etc..

I have failed to see any EXIF information now! All gone with the wing.

Strangely, I can still see them if I use the PS CS browse window... there's no such problem with PS 7.01. and ACR 1.0

Anyway here's an explanation on why this is happening some 3 hours from Adobe's Thomas Knoll on the no EXIF showing in camera raw converted files:

Photoshop CS's metadata logic is based on XMP. ACR 2.0 transfers the exif data directly to Photoshop CS via XMP.

You need to view the resulting images in an XMP aware viewer to see the EXIF data inside the XMP data block.

So the EXIF data is there, not just in a form that older programs can see until they are updated to support XMP based metadata

Hope this will explaination will help you all understand.

Great explanation but I'm not aware of any XMP metadata aware app for extracting EXIF.... :(

For your info, another online gallery provider http://www.fotop.net does support XMP metadata but I did not have full trial on it.

j_trujillo

So... Is PBase going to support XMP?

Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:32 pm

Just wondering.

Board index PBase Feature Requests FYI: Photoshop CS camera raw & EXIF issue