Board index PBase Feature Requests Gallery 'title' & 'automatic display of title' - irritat

Feature Requests

Gallery 'title' & 'automatic display of title' - irritat

Request changes or modifications.
arjunrc

Gallery 'title' & 'automatic display of title' - irritat

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:52 pm

As of today,
we are allowed to specify a gallery title in the 'Edit Gallery' page.

This is the only way we can specify a gallery name with spaces.

For example, I have a gallery called "black_and_white". I want it to be displayed as "black and white" - only way is to specify this name in the gallery title area.

The problem is that it automatically displays that name as a 'banner' in that gallery. I already have my own banner and do not want to display this extra banner. The only way I can avoid this is to hide the gallery style in CSS - this is hacky, since there are subgalleries where I want the title to be 'displayed' as a 'banner'. Much better to just add a 'checkbox' in each gallery that says 'Display gallery title on page'.

regds
arjun

larena

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:14 pm

Good idea, Arjun. All of my galleries have banners, so I'm in the same situation, that I'm stuck with underscores instead of spaces in the titles.
Larena

matiasasun

Re: Gallery 'title' & 'automatic display of title' - irr

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:02 pm

Yup... Same here. A lot of my <h1>s are set to 1px with the same background color. Could be very useful.
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

srijith

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:35 am

I am sure I am missing something here, too jet lagged to notice it. Are you talking about the "title" field in the edit page of the gallery? If so, I am officially confused :) That field has been showing up on my edit page for as long as I can remember.

This "title" is displayed within "h2", which again has been the case always, as far as I can remember....

wangi

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:15 am

srijith, likewise I'm confused!

larena

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:22 am

Hopefully this will make it clearer:

If you type a name for your gallery in the "Title" box, it appears in both H2 and as the title of the gallery, appearing under the gallery's thumbnail and in the list of linked subgalleries.

However, some of us use H2 for a banner and don't want the title text to appear in H2 so we can't use the "Title" box, and miss out on being able to remove the underscores from thumbnails and linked subgalleries.
Larena

srijith

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:49 am

Thanks for the clarification Larena. However this looks like a case of users being burnt by their own hacks. The title field has been there for a long time. I have always used it, so it is not that PBase sprang up a surprise on us.

Wound't it have been more wise to add a new class to your css file like "banner" or something and then add the html codes into the "description" field of the gallery? This would of course involve adding the html codes in each gallery description seperately, but it is much future-safe than hacking around PBase's intended use of a tag.

arjunrc

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:01 pm

Not really. Its not the same as adding a banner id in CSS. You might be missing a key requirement - I want the "gallery with spaces" to show as part of my linked subgalleries. The only way to do that is to add a gallery title. This in turn displays an automatic banner on each gallery I add spaces for.

We are not claiming its a new surprise. What we are saying is that by design it is 'unclean' to force a gallery name as a banner as well for that gallery. A gallery name is just that - a name. Its not the same as a banner.

The bottom line is that I should be able to have a gallery name with a "space" without having that force a banner on me (which is what happens today).

The workaround to this is to do a display:none for h2 and then specify spaces in the gallery title. That is a hack.

regds
arjun

srijith wrote:Thanks for the clarification Larena. However this looks like a case of users being burnt by their own hacks. The title field has been there for a long time. I have always used it, so it is not that PBase sprang up a surprise on us.

Wound't it have been more wise to add a new class to your css file like "banner" or something and then add the html codes into the "description" field of the gallery? This would of course involve adding the html codes in each gallery description seperately, but it is much future-safe than hacking around PBase's intended use of a tag.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Gallery 'title' & 'automatic display of title' - irritat