Board index PBase Questions and Answers Printing Photos from pbase...

Questions and Answers

Printing Photos from pbase...

Ask if you need help using PBase.
skysaddle

Printing Photos from pbase...

Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:22 am

My mother called me tonight and asked me why the photos I have on pbase come out blurry when printed on her computer. It is not her equipment. What can I do to make my pictures printable?

bobtrips

Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:17 am

Most likely you uploaded a reduced size file. (I think that uploads may be reduced by pBase if necessary to save space - don't quote me on that.)

Anyway, find out the size of the file that she is trying to print. As a rule of thumb you would want about 150 pixels (minimum) per inch to make a print. Anything less would be blurry, not enough detail.

Take the pixels in each direction and divide by the size print she was trying to make in inches. That will give you a dots per inch (dpi) figure.

I upload 480x640 files. You could print a 3"x5" but it wouldn't be really good quality. For a quality print you need something in the 220-300 dpi range.

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:26 am

pbase doesn't modify the original uploads at all (except for some about a year ago due to a disk space emergency)

even if you had uploaded a high resolution photo, it's possible your mother was downloading and printing the thumbnail or medium or large.
for printing, she should go the largest size available (probably labeled "original") which can be clicked on at the bottom of the image page.
then download and print.

-slug

skysaddle

Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:25 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I'll tell her to use the "original" file size and se if she has better results.

jchambers

Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:07 pm

slug wrote:pbase doesn't modify the original uploads at all (except for some about a year ago due to a disk space emergency)

even if you had uploaded a high resolution photo, it's possible your mother was downloading and printing the thumbnail or medium or large.
for printing, she should go the largest size available (probably labeled "original") which can be clicked on at the bottom of the image page.
then download and print.

-slug

Slug, could this be why many of my earlier photo's are really blury in the smaller versions?

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:50 pm

Slug, could this be why many of my earlier photo's are really blury in the smaller versions?

nope. 99.9% sure that none of your originals were touched. it didn't affect many people. only people who seemed to be inactive.

it may have been because those particular images didn't deal well with jpeg compression, or maybe your uploads were different than they are now?

unsure really.
-slug

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Printing Photos from pbase...