Board index PBase Questions and Answers Increase in "Direct links," from 1 to 3. What happ

Questions and Answers

Increase in "Direct links," from 1 to 3. What happ

Ask if you need help using PBase.
goldcoin

Increase in "Direct links," from 1 to 3. What happ

Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:57 pm

Had almost 300 hits in 24 hours, and the two of my pages are showing a direct link increase from one to three...... I did only one link.

Have deleted one of the pix in question, but left the other until someone replies.

What's happening here?

thresholdprod

Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:17 pm

Without specifics,its kinda hard to help you? Where did you post the direct link at and so forth?

goldcoin

Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:45 pm

Hi ......Thanks for your reply.

Not too sure what additional info you were refering to, this in the one of the pix that has now increased from 1 link [mine] to three3. I link my pix to the retouch forum.

http://www.pbase.com/image/21810050

Is that enought info to solve the problem?

thresholdprod

Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:44 pm

Its enough I think I can point you to where your misunderstanding is. When you direct link to a forum each time the message is read ( by different people it direct links to the photo(hence a count of of 1 or +1 ). The direct link counter is not the most accurate.

As far the extra hits, there tons of people that lurk and look through other people's galleries without ever saying a word. I'm always looking for my next inspiration to steal from :wink:

srijith

Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:08 pm

I too am getting a bit annoyed by this. Some of my pics have 5 direct links, when I am sure I have direct linked it myself only at 1 place - my personal website.

The fact that someone is eating up pbase's bandwidth and using my photos for god knows what, is eating me up! :x

goldcoin

Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:37 am

srijith.....

That's what I thought.. will delete the other pix. There should be a way to trace who has done it, I looked closely at "Source" but wasn't able to see anything helpful in that area.

Agree about the waste of pbase's bandwidth, must be something we can do when its discovered.

Thanks for stopping by with your knowledge.....

sheila

Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:39 am

Join the Club, Srijith! Slug was looking into the direct linking awhile back and was to add more software to find out where the direct links are going to. One of my images has had over 100 direct links!

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

thresholdprod

Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:20 am

If you want to screw with someone direct linking to your photos without permission. Use the replace feature and replace the photo with a picture of your bum(or other offensive item) with the text pasted on it "direct linking without permission is bad" ( or other text expressing your emotions). I have seen a lot of fun done with swapping out images with dirty messages to people direct linking with out permission

srijith

Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:24 am

thresholdprod wrote:If you want to screw with someone direct linking to your photos without permission. Use the replace feature and replace the photo with a picture of your bum(or other offensive item) with the text pasted on it "direct linking without permission is bad" ( or other text expressing your emotions). I have seen a lot of fun done with swapping out images with dirty messages to people direct linking with out permission

Believe me, had it not been for my laziness in changing the pbase links in my website database that powers the images there, I would have done this long time ago!

rsilfverberg

Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:27 am

Try simply search for your link through google using the "site that link to this" option. It would often give you any links out there.

srijith

Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:40 am

rsilfverberg wrote:Try simply search for your link through google using the "site that link to this" option. It would often give you any links out there.

been there, done that, no luck :(

adamstw

Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:47 am

Hi all,
I'm an ignorant newbie...where do we see direct link hits??
thanks,
Randy A
http://www.pbase.com/adamstw

ilanphoto

Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:08 pm

adamstw wrote:Hi all,
I'm an ignorant newbie...where do we see direct link hits??
thanks,
Randy A
http://www.pbase.com/adamstw

I have managed to find part of the answer. It is listed in the photo page when you click on a thumb (not edit) you have a counter at the bottem with the number of views. If there is a direct link it will appear there nder the regular counter. <p>
<b> I still have a simple question, how can I find all my linked pictures without having to page down each one of them? </b><br>
Thanks

goldcoin

Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:14 pm

adamstw....At the top of your gallery page, left side, look for the word "profile." Click on it, this what I have bookmarked to log in on.

On this page, you are able to see any message someone might have written to you. pBase has a private email system, also if you find a gallery that you might want to return to later, you can bookmark it, under favorite galleries.

And of course, it lists your total counts overall......

That is the only way I've found to see the direct links, is on the screen that shows the first one.....

minoltaman

Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:13 pm

I take it as a complement when someone direct links my photo. I put the images here for people to view anyway. No biggie. I would suggest don't post a photo if you don't want someone linking to it. If someone uses it commercially then go after them and try to recover some cash.

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Increase in "Direct links," from 1 to 3. What happ