Board index PBase Questions and Answers Phase passwords exposed

Questions and Answers

Phase passwords exposed

Ask if you need help using PBase.
ianm_au

Phase passwords exposed

Post Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:32 am

Hi,
I have been advised that my PBase password has appeared in a list on the web. I have changed my password, but was wondering has the PBase accounts database been hacked?
Ian

akmc_in_au

Re: Phase passwords exposed

Post Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:32 pm

ianm_au wrote:Hi,
I have been advised that my PBase password has appeared in a list on the web. I have changed my password, but was wondering has the PBase accounts database been hacked?
Ian

"I have been advised" is a bit vague; what's the source of this?

I cannot find any reference to a hack of PBase's passwords. A Google search turned up nothing. 1Password does not have PBase on their list of hacked websites in their Watchtower listing. PBase does not appear on the list at https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites.

I'm hardly PBase management's biggest fan these days, but I can't find any evidence of their account security being compromised and it's therefore a bit unfair to make a post with a title that suggests that the passwords HAVE been hacked. This is likely to spread fear and doubt in anyone who reads it (not that many people are IN the forum these days), fear and doubt that just isn't warranted.

Whether it was hacked on your end, meaning that someone may have hacked your system and logins, on the other hand... that's a different issue. If PBase hasn't been hacked, that's the only other way your PBase login and password may be some place that they shouldn't be.

Edit: Unleeeesss... you are or were a user of the LastPass password vault, which has been hacked so often now that it has reached levels of absurdity not seen since a squadron of clown cars stacked into each other inside a circus ring.

ianm_au

Post Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:10 am

I was advised by Google, so changed the password as a precaution.
I do not login to provided links.
And no I am/was not a last pass user.
Ian

akmc_in_au

Post Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:48 am

ianm_au wrote:I was advised by Google, so changed the password as a precaution.

Interesting. I also have PBase registered with my Google account, so I just ran a password check. And the result was...

No compromised passwords

So I guess it was still a "you" thing, not a "PBase" thing. Which still makes the title of this thread unnecessarily alarmist.

ianm_au wrote:I do not login to provided links.

Good, because nobody asked you to "login" to anything.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Phase passwords exposed