Board index PBase Questions and Answers How will the end of Dpreview impact Pbase?

Questions and Answers

How will the end of Dpreview impact Pbase?

Ask if you need help using PBase.

dw_thomas

Re: How will the end of Dpreview impact Pbase?

Post Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:36 pm

One silly data point (Yers Trooly's): hardly at all, as I've maybe looked at it three times in the last ten or so years!
DaveT

akmc_in_au

Post Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:37 pm

I just came to the forums to see whether anyone had mentioned that.

I'm surprised that Amazon didn't try to get more sales leverage from the site; the fact that it is "an Amazon company" is buried down the bottom of the page. I'm wondering if IMDB may be for the high jump at some future point too, especially as Amazon Prime is more about home grown content than selling someone else's movies these days, but I digress.

(Though that said, I don't think I've ever bought a major piece of camera kit from Amazon anyway and would not be likely to even via a DPReview connection. Their prices have never been the best (though not the worst either), and frankly I deal with Amazon when I need to, not out of any real desire to do so. That's for multiple reasons.)

The impact on PBase? Probably minimal. There isn't a lot of discussion of PBase over there. (Or anywhere else for that matter, including here and there are obvious reasons for that.) Some people posted links to PBase photos in the forums over there, but I doubt that those drove a huge amount of traffic to the site. (The fact that Google is at best only intermittently (and rarely) indexing content on PBase is a bigger problem in that respect.)

Personally, I'll miss DP Review. I was never a member of the forums but if I had a specific piece of gear in mind I would always check out the reviews over there which were awesomely detailed. I imagine that even after the site closes down the YouTube reviews will remain.

Unfortunately this seems to be part of the general slide of photography from something which involves art and skill, to "Can you send me that?" mobile shots. It's like the almost complete disappearance of main street camera stores. The money just isn't there any more to support high end sites for pro-am and above shooters, unfortunately.

My guess is that a lot of the former forum chat from over there will migrate to Flickr since that site, unlike this one, actually has (way) more than 2 non-PAD / Show and Tell discussions a month, and admins who put in an appearance more frequently than once every 2 and a half years. If I'm right that will be good for Flickr. For PBase... I don't see it making any difference.

richo

Post Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:42 am

akmc_in_au wrote:The impact on PBase? Probably minimal.

My guess is that a lot of the former forum chat from over there For PBase... I don't see it making any difference.

I think the general trend is toward computational AI photography. This is following the trend to smartphone photography.

Economically, the photography business already in decline for years is now caught up in the decline in retail sales across the board. I purchased my Olympus C2100UZ and Canyon 10D from a local. I got my 7D from BB and just purchased my G9 from Amazon. Will BHPhoto be the next to go? I purchased a lens from them.

There is also the trend to video/reels which can easily be done on a smartphone.

I liked Dpreview. I was part of discussion boards until it turned into pixel wars. Photography as art doesn't seem to fair as well photography as a social medium. There's a message there and I am not sure I want to decode.

As to Pbase, I think it is a missed opportunity, but I don't know what is happening behind the scenes.

I am reminded that nothing stays the same and entropy is the nature of the universe.

The two guys that ran Dpreview TV are moving to PetaPixel.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers How will the end of Dpreview impact Pbase?