Board index PBase Questions and Answers Gallery Edit Deletes HTML in Titles

Questions and Answers

Gallery Edit Deletes HTML in Titles

Ask if you need help using PBase.
ppayzant

Gallery Edit Deletes HTML in Titles

Post Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:49 pm

When I bring up the old "Gallery edit" page, and then click the Update Gallery Contents button, HTML tags in the individual photo titles are deleted. Editing the individual photos does not do this, but it's precarious. Editing the gallery - for resequencing, e.g. - wipes out the HTML in the title for every photo, again. Is there some way to prevent this?

akmc_in_au

Re: Gallery Edit Deletes HTML in Titles

Post Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:09 pm

ppayzant wrote:When I bring up the old "Gallery edit" page, and then click the Update Gallery Contents button, HTML tags in the individual photo titles are deleted. Editing the individual photos does not do this, but it's precarious. Editing the gallery - for resequencing, e.g. - wipes out the HTML in the title for every photo, again. Is there some way to prevent this?

I suggest that you check the setting "HTML Flag"; "Check if you are using HTML to format the description. Uncheck for automatic formatting"

Is it checked, or unchecked?

ppayzant

Post Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:21 pm

akmc_in_au wrote:I suggest that you check the setting "HTML Flag"; "Check if you are using HTML to format the description. Uncheck for automatic formatting"

Is it checked, or unchecked?

It is checked. However, I'm experiencing problems with the per-image "Title" field, not with the Gallery description.

Here's a test case:
1. View a Gallery, and click on "Edit This Gallery".
2. In the title field for any image, enclose the text between a pair of HTML tags, e.g.
Code: Select all
<B>My Aunt Martha</B>

3. Scroll down and click "Update Gallery Contents".
4. Scroll back up again, and if you're experiencing the same issue I am, the HTML tags in the title field will have disappeared.

... and thank you for replying. Much appreciated.

dw_thomas

Post Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:53 am

This is admittedly stretching ... but I believe, contrary to the early days, the HTML tags are supposed to be lower case -- perhaps the <B> is being thrown out as not recognized?

Also, I have some image titles that are in quotes. I put the (double) quotes in defined as character codes delimited by an ampersand and semi-colon, but when I save the edit, the tag is just replaced with the quote character. So perhaps the <B> tags are being tossed. It looks to me that the normal titles are bold in my galleries.

Could also be there's some CSS funnies going on, as that can redefine tags.

My 1.3 (after tax cents)
DaveT

ppayzant

Post Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:24 pm

I tried my test case with a different tag, and in lower case:
<span>Fred</span>

and the span tags were deleted, as before. My guess is that this is just something "helpful" that happens in the processing when you use the Gallery Edit function, and that the only way to avoid losing tags in photo titles is to never edit the gallery. Seems strange, though.

akmc_in_au

Post Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:19 pm

ppayzant wrote:I tried my test case with a different tag, and in lower case:
<span>Fred</span>

and the span tags were deleted, as before. My guess is that this is just something "helpful" that happens in the processing when you use the Gallery Edit function, and that the only way to avoid losing tags in photo titles is to never edit the gallery. Seems strange, though.

It's not specific to the Gallery Edit page. I just added <b> tags to an image title via the Edit Image page of the drag and drop editor. It will allow you to put HTML tags in both the title and Caption boxes quite happily... but as soon as you click Save, any HTML tags in the image title (as opposed to the Caption) will be converted to a space.

It looks like for some reason HTML in titles rather than captions is intended to be a no-no, possibly (speculation) because Titles are shown when listing images in a gallery (in tree view or slideshow view, for example) and HTML could make the lists go wonky. In the caption? It only ever appears on an image page. You could ask pbase support to clarify but... there's not much of that around at the moment. (He says with considerable understatement.)

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Gallery Edit Deletes HTML in Titles