Board index PBase Questions and Answers Hit counter has lots of visits

Questions and Answers

Hit counter has lots of visits

Ask if you need help using PBase.
gphotos

Hit counter has lots of visits

Post Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:14 pm

Why do I get so many hits on the visit counter when my gallery is not on the new photos pbase pages or the popular pages?
I get visitors when I add new photos but other times I get hits when my photos are not on the new or popular pbase pages.
Where do they come from? 100 plus daily. Thanks.

richo

Re: Hit counter has lots of visits

Post Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:46 pm

gphotos wrote:Why do I get so many hits on the visit counter when my gallery is not on the new photos pbase pages or the popular pages?
I get visitors when I add new photos but other times I get hits when my photos are not on the new or popular pbase pages.
Where do they come from? 100 plus daily. Thanks.

I don't know for certain, but I think most of it is web crawlers indexing for search engines. Some of this is due web scraping. Many years ago, I discovered that images were being downloaded, printed and sold as postcards. I even found that one of my images was used by a band for their logo and album cover. I was able to contact them, but that took a lot of effort. Those scraping for postcard photos come from a variety of different IPs. And lastly, I am not certain all of hits are real. I ran comparisons between my hit counter and Google Analytics and the two never agreed. Granted, Google Analytics removes my IP, and I think its crawler.

gphotos

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:54 pm

Thanks Richo,
That answers it, I didn't even know the term "scraping," but I'm not so tech savvy. It makes sense though that crawlers are indexing it. Hadn't considered that either.
Best Regards,
George

richo

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:11 pm

gphotos wrote:Thanks Richo,
That answers it, I didn't even know the term "scraping," but I'm not so tech savvy. It makes sense though that crawlers are indexing it. Hadn't considered that either.
Best Regards,
George

I have Google Analytics set up, but I have not checked it in ages. It's not too difficult to setup and it can actually tell you where your hits are originating. It also exposes how inaccurate the hit counter on Pbase is.

gphotos

Post Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:12 pm

I have the free trial version of statcounter and it shows different hits than the pbase counter. I'll look into Google Analytics and Thank You!

gphotos

Post Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:12 pm

I have the free trial version of statcounter and it shows different hits than the pbase counter. I'll look into Google Analytics and Thank You!

gildemers

Post Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:08 am

Hit counter for my gallery has been showing 0 hits for the last 3 days !!!
Is this normal ?
I've been using pBase for over 15 years and never experience anything similar ?
Thanks
Gil

gordg3

Post Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:12 am

Same here. Never had 0 before until last three days.

dw_thomas

Post Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:55 am

There is another thread about missing hit counts. Several people including me have reported it, but "the management" here tends to be pretty thin on the ground. Hopefully w'e'll see a fix soon.

DaveT

kent_dellaire

Post Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:40 am

I sent an email to Pbase earlier today, questioning the same problem, too many hit counts, inaccurate counting and so forth. I checked my counts tonight and saw that they have been changed, made lower on each photo, and yet they profoundly disagree with each other, still. My photos no longer show up in the popular gallery. I'm new to Pbase as of 3/21/23 and I am not very impressed by what I have seen thus far. I'm thinking about asking for a cancelation and refund. I doubt if they will give me a refund. However, I can't stay with this whacky system any longer. I'm moving on.

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:55 am

kent_dellaire wrote:I sent an email to Pbase earlier today, questioning the same problem, too many hit counts, inaccurate counting and so forth. I checked my counts tonight and saw that they have been changed, made lower on each photo, and yet they profoundly disagree with each other, still. My photos no longer show up in the popular gallery. I'm new to Pbase as of 3/21/23 and I am not very impressed by what I have seen thus far. I'm thinking about asking for a cancelation and refund. I doubt if they will give me a refund.

I've always regarded the hit counts on PBase to be a complete waste of space. The numbers never seem to gel with anything (including the number of page views on each page). However the support for StatCounter and Google Analytics makes up for that because at least on StatCounter you can (usually) see the path that people used to arrive at your photos rather than just "here is a number".

kent_dellaire wrote:However, I can't stay with this whacky system any longer. I'm moving on.

Yyyyeah, the only thing is... yes, the internal stats are useless. Yes, management seem to appear on a 3 year cycle bursting with enthusiasm then within a couple of weeks can't even be bothered responding to basic support requests like adding new hardware into the database. No, you'll never get famous here because hardly any images are indexed by Google for some reason. (Try doing a Google search of the exact text of some of your descriptions and see how few, if any matches come up. Some of my photos from 10 or 12 years ago will show up in a Google search. Recent ones hardly ever do.) No, if you're not in the PAD or Show and Tell groups, you'll get hardly any internal PBase visitors (which will affect whether you show up in the Populars), but post the same photo on Flickr and it'll be in triple figure views within an hour. Granted also, the number of photos posted on the site has been in decline for years now, though it has stabilised somewhat in the last year or two.

BUT...

... and this is really what keeps me here, there is no other site that I have come across, none, that has such a clean and efficient hierarchical gallery structure, with the ability to customise the page display via CSS.

Admittedly, I'm gradually changing the watermarks on all of my historical photos to remove the PBase address, and punching the descriptions and the like into the exif in anticipation that one day this place will go down and not get back up, so that I'm ready to reupload them on another site.

But damn, that display organisation is hard to give up.

If another site, one which has management who actually gave a stuff more than once every 3 years, were to implement such a thing I may be tempted to head for the door too. But none have. (Flickr does have the equivalent of galleries now, but they haven't done it well and seem eternally wedded to the pointless concept of a "Photostream".) So while I'm packing some bags, I for one am not walking out the door just yet. The display format is worth the annoyance. Most days. It's worth considering before you pull the ejector handle.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Hit counter has lots of visits