Board index PBase Questions and Answers Geotaging update??

Questions and Answers

Geotaging update??

Ask if you need help using PBase.
abh

Geotaging update??

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:13 am

Is anyone able to get geotagging working the way it used to?

I uploaded some geotagged photos, and if you click "view map", the map opens to show the entire North American continent. Is there a way to specify a sensible zoom level? There are no map markers that correspond to the photo, but if I zoom the map in far enough, I can see that the process of extracting the GPS coordinates worked fine, but without the map markers, its usefulness is limited.

BTW -- if I go to maps.pbase.com/abh, the markers show up correctly, it's just the "View Map" on the photo that's not working right.

hanswortel

Re: Geotaging update??

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:37 am

Yes, I have the same problem. It works only with the MAPS option on the gallery screen. https://maps.pbase.com/etc. Maybe you can send a e-mail.

richo

Post Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:25 am

abh wrote:Is anyone able to get geotagging working the way it used to?

I doubt anyone is still working on Pbase.com development. Quite frankly, I keep expecting it to shut down. Has anyone heard from the owners in the past year?

akmc_in_au

Post Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:27 am

richo wrote:
abh wrote:Is anyone able to get geotagging working the way it used to?

I doubt anyone is still working on Pbase.com development. Quite frankly, I keep expecting it to shut down.

The thought has been crossing my mind for a long time now, but each day I'm glad to be wrong about it. Still, it'll have to happen some day. It's a "mom and pop" operation, so selling it on might not be all that easy even if a buyer could be found. But that said I for one haven't encountered any reliability issues for ages now; the parts that work, work... and short of something catastrophic happening it may very well run on autopilot for a long time to come.

Nonetheless... I've started to spend a little time each week updating my old images so that they have captions and keywords embedded in them so that if I suddenly need to move elsewhere, I can. At present any comments that people have made would be lost if the big crunch were to happen, which would be unfortunate... but thankfully still hypothetical for the moment.

richo wrote:Has anyone heard from the owners in the past year?

No... but my membership timer was ticking down and I just signed up for another year (it's only 23 bucks, so why not?) and the process was smooth and easy, no bugs, no glitches, no hassles. The site may be like the Marie Celeste (at least as far as the helm goes), but it's still sailing in a straight line.

richo

Post Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:50 pm

I agree with everything you wrote. The site is good for posting and linking images. But it would really help to build confidence in the customer base, if the owners would periodically just give a word or two update. Like you, I have been slowly moving links to other storage sites and posting more on other sites.

sveetzel

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:42 pm

Any way to prevent geotagging on my images that I post? I can't seem to get rid of the "view map" tag. Privacy issues!!!!

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:12 pm

sveetzel wrote:Any way to prevent geotagging on my images that I post? I can't seem to get rid of the "view map" tag. Privacy issues!!!!

In the upload page there is a checkbox named " Extract GPS info from EXIF data. " Just turn it off.

However any GPS data will still be embedded in the image and therefore readable if someone downloads it. (Yes, you can restrict downloading in PBase, but as with any web site the anti-download options are the best 1 foot high fence money can buy.) You may therefore prefer to rid the images of GPS data BEFORE uploading them.

Do you use Adobe Bridge, which I would rate as "the least worst and sometimes actually good" photo manager?

If so, before you upload, select all of your photos, go to the metadata panel and just delete the GPS coordinates. I'm sure most other managers would have a similar option.

If you don't use one, but are a Windows user... select your photos, right click and choose Properties. On the Details tab you'll see a link at the bottom titled "Remove Properties and Personal Information". I just checked and confirmed that it will remove GPS data. (But it will leave things like AV, exposure time, ISO etc in place.)

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:22 pm

sveetzel wrote:Any way to prevent geotagging on my images that I post? I can't seem to get rid of the "view map" tag. Privacy issues!!!!

Also, to get rid of it on the ones that have already been uploaded, go to each of your galleries, select all of the images, and then click on "Edit Image". (Which will in fact edit ALL of the images; you should see a page titled "Batch Update Selected Images".) Near the bottom of the page you should see an option to "Remove Geotags"; change the dropdown from "No Change" to "Remove Geotags", then click the [Batch Update Selection] button.

I do recommend that you do this; send me a PMail directly if you need further information.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Geotaging update??