Board index PBase Questions and Answers Responding to comments on my images.

Questions and Answers

Responding to comments on my images.

Ask if you need help using PBase.
waynes6

Responding to comments on my images.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:46 pm

How many here respond to comments on their images with Pmail or do you respond to comments on the image page?

amoxtli

Re: Responding to comments on my images.

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:14 pm

As of today, I have: "Comment Management : 208827 comments. Most recent on 30-Mar-2021." It's impossible to respond to all of these comments. When someone leaves a comment for me, I usually return the favor and comment on one of their images. If it's a comment that's unusually positive, I send a thank you via Pmail. Likewise if someone leaves private comment making a suggestions about the image. I have seen people leave comments on their own image page, but that makes little sense to me as only they can see that comment. It's not likely that the person who left the comment will return.
Best,
Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

mardoli

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:10 pm

amoxtli wrote:As of today, I have: "Comment Management : 208827 comments. Most recent on 30-Mar-2021." It's impossible to respond to all of these comments. When someone leaves a comment for me, I usually return the favor and comment on one of their images. If it's a comment that's unusually positive, I send a thank you via Pmail. Likewise if someone leaves private comment making a suggestions about the image. I have seen people leave comments on their own image page, but that makes little sense to me as only they can see that comment. It's not likely that the person who left the comment will return.
Best,
Walter

I completely agree with what Walter expressed.
I also accidentally noticed that someone replies to comments on their own page and I was wondering what it was for, because, obviously, whoever commented on a photo, hardly ever returns to the same page.
I answer privately when someone asks me something specific, or if I receive a very articulate comment, different from the usual "Beautiful photography" or similar.
Then, everyone can act as he thinks right.
I don't think there should be rules.
I only comment on the photos that I like and really strike me.
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

akmc_in_au

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:04 am

mardoli wrote: I also accidentally noticed that someone replies to comments on their own page and I was wondering what it was for, because, obviously, whoever commented on a photo, hardly ever returns to the same page.

It suggests to me that it's someone who is, or was at the time, very new to PBase, and who didn't realise how the site works (or sometimes doesn't) yet. Almost every site notifies you when you get a reply to something like a comment that you've left. Even Instagram, arguably the clunkiest, most woeful, platform-inconsistent user interface on the internet, does that. PBase doesn't and, let's be brutally honest... it never will. In fact it doesn't even maintain a list of photos that you've left a comment on so that you can easily revisit them. If you want to do that you have to bookmark them or similar. (At first, when I was really new here, I assumed that I just hadn't found that feature. Then I realised that it didn't exist. Really? Seriously? Yup. Again, even Instagram, the benchmark in rubbish UI and UX, has that, although it's buried 700 different ways depending on which platform you're on.)

I fell into the trap too when I was a complete newbie here. "Hmm, how do I reply to this? Well, every other site I can think of has a reply notification system, so I suppose if I just reply to it..." Nuh-uh. This is PBase. They do things differently here.

I'll still write a reply under the comment if the person has raised an issue that I think future viewers would appreciate the answer to, but I'll CC it in a PMail.

mardoli wrote:I answer privately when someone asks me something specific, or if I receive a very articulate comment, different from the usual "Beautiful photography" or similar.
Then, everyone can act as he thinks right.
I don't think there should be rules.

Agreed. Usually I'll periodically go through my comments and visit the other person's galleries to see what they've been doing and possibly leave some comments of my own... but I tend to leave a bit of time before doing that so that it doesn't look or feel like a "quid pro quo". I've discovered a few most interesting galleries that way, including some new favourites.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Responding to comments on my images.