Board index PBase Questions and Answers Reorganizing Gallery Photos

Questions and Answers

Reorganizing Gallery Photos

Ask if you need help using PBase.
kheusser

Reorganizing Gallery Photos

Post Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:08 pm

Hi
I don't understand how to shift images around.
in a gallery. I emailed pbase before I knew about this and they said something about drop and drag and nothing is?working for me.
Please could someone tell me how to move images in a gallery around.
Also, sometimes when I post in forums like this I can't find my way back to my original question.
Please also I need to know how to get back to this.
Thank you so much.

dw_thomas

Re: Reorganizing Gallery Photos

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:19 am

kheusser wrote:I don't understand how to shift images around.
in a gallery. I emailed pbase before I knew about this and they said something about drop and drag and nothing is?working for me.

Hmm -- I'll start a try here ...
a) There are two versions of the editor, the original, and the "Drop and Drag" a newer one. Either should be able to do what you want to do, but they work a bit differently. So do you know which you are using?

When you click on "Edit this gallery" up near the top, the editor should open.
If at the lower left corner there is a link: "Original edit page" you are in the Drop & Drag version.
If instead, toward the upper right corner above a blue bar (with "Gallery Details" at the left) you see a link "drag and drop edit page," you are in the original editor.

b) Please expand a little on what you are trying to do.
Are you just trying to move images around in a single gallery, or are you trying to move or copy some images to another gallery?
PBase has an incredibly flexible ability to customize your image displays, but there is a learning curve. There is also some help information for a lot of operations, although last I looked, some of it is a bit out of date.

c) At a distant generic overview, the methods are (or can be) similar. You select an image, or multiple images, then move (or copy) them to another gallery. Or within a gallery you can change the sequence in which the images display.

So maybe report back some of these details, and I (or someone) can provide more information.

I don't quite understand your second question.

This/your question is in the "Questions and Answers" forum. The forum is among the PBase related forums in the first major window of the forum index page. When you click on the Questions and Answers line in that window, a page of Q&A post titles should be listed (generally referred to as "Threads" because each anchor a string of related "posts."

Note that the thread titles are ordered most recently active first, so they may move around a little within that list depending on other posts in other threads.

Find yours ("Reorganizing Gallery Photos") and click on it. That will open a thread topped by your original question post, and subsequent posts will appear in order.

It's late -- I'll try to remember to check this next time I'm awake!
DaveT

richo

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:02 pm

kheusser wrote:Hi
I don't understand how to shift images around.
Also, sometimes when I post in forums like this I can't find my way back to my original question.
Please also I need to know how to get back to this.
Thank you so much.

I use the old style edit galleries and there you can reorganize the gallery using the sort function or manually edit the sequence number. You can also move or copy images to new or other existing galleries. I learned about how to do this by reading the help topics.

To get back to this forum post you can bookmark the thread using the links in upper right as Dave pointed out or bookmark using your browser bookmarking tool.

kheusser

Post Sun May 03, 2020 6:52 pm

My apologies for my slow reply.
I can be technologically challenged.
I have to do this very slowly.
I very much appreciate both of your replies!
I did bookmark this. I still hope I can find my way back here. As ridiculous as this sounds I do all this on my cell phone. Don't have lap or desktop and libraries are closed.
So that said, let me go back and see which of the two I have in editor. Thanks for getting me started. :)

kheusser

Post Sun May 03, 2020 6:54 pm

PS. In answer to your question, I am simply wanting to move images around in one of my galleries.
Thanks!

kheusser

Post Sun May 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Ok, so in the upper right corner there is "drop and drag edit page. I did try going into that previously but for some reason I don't remember came to a dead end.
Thanks

dw_thomas

Post Thu May 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Ok, so in the upper right corner there is "drop and drag edit page. I did try going into that previously but for some reason I don't remember came to a dead end.

Well -- it begins to look as though Drag & Drop may not be possible on a phone. I responded to your PM with what I know (which isn't a lot, as I have an iPhone and an iPad but never have used them for upload and edit :shock: ).

The sequence number monkey business under the "original" edit worked for me (iPhone 6s, Safari) in my very limited test on a play gallery.

Good luck!
DaveT

kheusser

Post Thu May 07, 2020 11:35 pm

Thanks Dave
Maybe that is the problem.

I'll just have to get to a regular computer and see if it can be fixed that way.

dw_thomas

Post Sun May 10, 2020 4:58 pm

kheusser wrote:Thanks Dave
Maybe that is the problem.

I'll just have to get to a regular computer and see if it can be fixed that way.

Based on what I did as described in my PM and mentioned above, you should be able to do what you want to do from the phone. When that "original" edit page comes up, there should be a list of all the images in the gallery and their sequence numbers should start with 10 for the first one, and incremented by 10 for each additional image -- 20,30,40, etc. If your gallery has a half dozen images, you can probably just directly observe and change.

But if you have several dozen images, I would lean toward writing on paper (yeah, that old fashioned stuff!) a list of the image numbers and perhaps the caption or some identifying note for each image, one per line. Then figure out what order you want the images in and write down a new sequence number for each image. I would use intervals of 5 or 10 for the sequence so there are potentially open slots between each pair of images in case you decide to make a last minute change. Having a gap between the sequence numbers allows slipping another number in without having to renumber any other images.

Then go back to the phone, bring up the gallery in question, and click 'Edit gallery'. Based on what I think I have seen, that by default will come up in the so-called "original" mode with a list of the images. Just scroll down through the list and replace all of the old sequence numbers with your new revised versions, then when those are all typed in,scroll to the bottom and do the 'Update Gallery Contents'.

Because it's a lot of clutter on a small screen, it will mean a lot of scrolling and be somewhat tedious, but I think it should be doable.

Anyhow, good luck!

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Reorganizing Gallery Photos