Board index PBase Questions and Answers Changing defaults for image size and slideshow image size

Questions and Answers

Changing defaults for image size and slideshow image size

Ask if you need help using PBase.
tgriffen

Changing defaults for image size and slideshow image size

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:39 am

We appear to be stuck in the 1980s with the 800 px image size for display, and same for slideshow. I have been a paying member for many years for two different accounts, but Pbase is becoming the dumb terminal of image sites. Is the default for both image size or slideshow image size going to be upgraded any time soon to at least 1280 px, or is it time to cut the losses and move on? Moving thousands of images is not an easy task, but I have had it with having to explain to people each time and give them elaborate instructions on how to view images larger than a thumbnail these day because apparently the owners have lost interest in the site decades ago.

akmc_in_au

Re: Changing defaults for image size and slideshow image size

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:09 pm

tgriffen wrote:We appear to be stuck in the 1980s with the 800 px image size for display, and same for slideshow. I have been a paying member for many years for two different accounts, but Pbase is becoming the dumb terminal of image sites. Is the default for both image size or slideshow image size going to be upgraded any time soon to at least 1280 px, or is it time to cut the losses and move on? Moving thousands of images is not an easy task, but I have had it with having to explain to people each time and give them elaborate instructions on how to view images larger than a thumbnail these day because apparently the owners have lost interest in the site decades ago.

Yes, that's been a niggle of mine for quite some time too. I remember having an extensive discussion with one of the Admins about that, back when PBase admins still graced these halls. I wondered how long ago that was; a decade ago, as it turns out, since I remember putting up this poll in relation to that.

My current display is 2560*1440. 800 pixels wide is a postage stamp. And the fact that I need to send anyone a link which has /original at the end to make sure that they aren't seeing a postage stamp as well is annoying. As for the slideshow... it was cool, long, long ago, though now that you get mooshed down "large" images without any options relating to displaying exif or caption data it looks more than a little antiquated.

I would not put money on there being a change. You know, I know, pretty much anyone who's been around for a while knows that there's no appetite for or interest in that on the PBase side. What we've got is what we'll get. It's a pity, but it is what it is.

tgriffen

Re: Changing defaults for image size and slideshow image size

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:54 am

akmc_in_au wrote:the fact that I need to send anyone a link which has /original at the end to make sure that they aren't seeing a postage stamp as well is annoying

It's even worse if you are trying to send a link to a gallery. Now what do you do? Send a link to one photo with the "/original/" kludge at the end and then instructions on how to get back out and to the gallery? It's ridiculous. And what if you want to send a link to a slideshow? Even that doesn't work because you suddenly get a slideshow of image thumbnails.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Changing defaults for image size and slideshow image size