Board index PBase Questions and Answers Bluring of photo's on pbase

Questions and Answers

Bluring of photo's on pbase

Ask if you need help using PBase.
jchambers

Bluring of photo's on pbase

Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:55 pm

I have brought this up a couple of times, but was not sure if I was imagining it.

What I'm talking about is severe bluring of my photo's on pbase in anything other than original.

But here is a good example. Look at this photo in original, and then flick between original and large (there is a slight size difference to them)

For the easiest comparison, look at the difference in the text at the bottom of the photo, there is significant blurring.

This seems to be happening to all of my photo's some worse than others.
http://www.pbase.com/image/20585049/original

mikelly

can't see a difference...

Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:08 am

It could be because my eyes have a lot of miles behind them, but I can't see a difference. 8)

Mike Kelly
Houston, Texas

trrsranch

Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:37 am

I don't see a whole lot of difference myself but, the fact that PBase is jpeg oriented, that is part of the problem. If PBase supported TIFF or Bmap for example they wouldn't lose sharpness and clarity over time. Many of my photos are a lot less crisp due to resizing mostly.

Maybe Slug knows a way to correct this. I just know that jpegs deteriorate over time.

jchambers

Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:54 am

I do find it quite noticeable, it's most prominent around the text, as text should have razer sharp edges, but it can be clearly seen on the rest of the photo, especially on on high contrast area's like around the man's white shirt to the left.

Yes, jpg does have a problem here, but normally not this bad. jpg's don't deteriate over time, only each time it is recompressed and saved.

Anyway, to avoid this problem, I will start to replace all my photo's with sharp large sized photo's, which seems to be what most people view them in. This should mean that pbase won't resize the original at that level.

BMP or TIFF's are of cause far better quality, but their file sizes are far to great for web use. Even on broadband it would take too long to download a TIFF image.

Whatever happened to jpg2000? This was supposed to be a loss-less jpg format with as much compression as standard jpg but without artifacts.

kimr55760

Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:05 pm

That's pBase compressing an image to the size requested. To keep the image crisp upload the image in the size and compression you want viewed. Then you won't have your image quality compromised. Kim

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Bluring of photo's on pbase