Board index PBase Questions and Answers Please sell out!

Questions and Answers

Please sell out!

Ask if you need help using PBase.
akmc_in_au

Re: Please sell out!

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:39 pm

amoxtli wrote:
akmc_in_au wrote:
amoxtli wrote:WWelcome to the "Question and Answer Forum: Ask if you need help using PBase" which as of late has turned into a forum for maligners, whiners, haranguers and complainers.

Quite. Anyone who dares mention any shortfall in PBase's service is a "whiner" and a "haranguer" or a "maligner" or a "complainer". Rather than sticking to the issues, far better to do as Walter did and resort to name calling. That certainly makes the world a much better place.

I don't name call, I call a spade a spade

Ah, it's one of those irregular verbs. "You whinge, harangue, malign and complain, I call a spade a spade".

amoxtli wrote:and that's all and I did stick to the issues. Like I wrote, if you have a problem do something about it. I will list the options again, put up with it, contact the PBase administration, or migrate to another site.

In case you missed it, Walter, I'll explain it to you again.

Not just I, but a significant number of people contact PBase support about problems. And... here's the thing Walter, read it very slowly because that's how it works over here... Nothing. Happens.

And in case you missed the other bit... I for one, and many others, already have migrated to another site. Not "threatened to", have. Some of us will run down our time on PBase but when, and I no longer believe that it's an if, but when the sun comes up one morning and PBase doesn't, however far off into the distance of time such an event may be, those who have will already be up and running while the pictures of the amoxtlimobile will be nothing more than Google caches. In the meantime those of us who also still pay money to be here may, from time to time, voice our views about what's wrong here and if you don't have the wherewithall to skip the threads in which it happens then it really is unfortunate to be you.

amoxtli wrote:Posting your complaints here over and over over again here will bring nothing, and this is the Questions and Answer Forum after all.

Indeed it is. Which is why, as a random example, I spent about half an hour on Sunday helping a new member understand how PBase URLs work in posts a couple of threads down. Trying to remember the last time you did something similar.

Still trying.

Nope, still trying.

So if you want to call me nothing more than a "whinger" (or "spade" as you may prefer), I do humbly beseech you to bite me.

amoxtli wrote:Why don't you write to PBase and post the answer (if you get one) here? Now that would be useful, or post any other information that would be useful to us. I would love to read it.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people would love to post the responses that they get to PBase support requests. If we ever get any, we should try it some time.

mikelong

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:01 pm

What's the problem? Pbase seems to work great, at least the couple times I checked during the past six weeks.

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:25 pm

mikelong wrote:What's the problem? Pbase seems to work great, at least the couple times I checked during the past six weeks.

Don't know what the original poster's issue was, and s/he hasn't come back to clarify. The general uploading and display of photos seems to be working fine at present (though I qualify the first part of that in light of arshutterbug's post), but there are a number of non-core features which suddenly stop working or randomly fail, as per earlier posts.

(Edit: And an interesting new one; I just noticed a comment on one of my pictures which doesn't appear in the Comment Management list. Haven't looked for others yet, but curiouser and curiouser...)

It's not like the whole site has failed, but "everything is rosy in the garden, love it or leave it" posts are rather less than the full picture.

madlights

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:57 am

In all honesty I agree that there are problems...and the communication from...isn't good. But in general the site is working better than it has in a long while. It works (which is something in itself). I don't think anyone from PBase that has any control of what goes on, reads the forums, and kind of think, although I've been one of the most vocal critics of the lack of communication, that all our criticism, all this oppressiveness is doing any good...especially at this time.
I can remember when the forum had a moderator, when it was much more active at providing solutions, getting rid of spam (because of the moderator or later when NOOUTLET was here), when the WIKI was added to continuously...and when if someone had a problem...someone would try and answer in a helpful way (and they still do, but a lot less) It's not only the 'powers that be' but it's the members too that aren't as active. Some have given up (some with good reason). Some think what's the use. And the adversarial tone of the forum is sure a lot different than it was when I came on. We can do something about that. Sure people disagree...but geez shouldn't it be disagreements with ideas? Not personalities? And man there's always people that trip someones trigger. I for one don't want PBase to sell out, to some big corporation like AOL etc. I like the small town atmosphere, and maybe have to put up with waiting for changes. But we can make the forum a better place. Yeah a lot have left, but a lot no longer post. I don't know what this all really means...but I've noticed it. To some degree that was PBase's real strength. The people.
Just my two cents gone and we don't even get a tax rebate this year.

sheila

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:08 am

I upload my images and have no problems. I get comments and I get sales via my gallery. Stylesheets are the same as they ever were but I can now live with that. I can add StatCounters which is more than can be said for other sites. If you want bells and whistles, then find another site which does everything you want it to do and then some. Absolutely no one is forcing you to stay.

Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

akmc_in_au

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 am

sheila wrote:I upload my images and have no problems. I get comments and I get sales via my gallery. Stylesheets are the same as they ever were but I can now live with that. I can add StatCounters which is more than can be said for other sites.

Really? That'll come as a surprise to my SmugMug StatCounter project. Which records all of my visits, not just the ones that the code randomly decides to render (or not) on.

pinemikey

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm

C'mon Alan...how about getting off the snark fest?

The place is a dump. We know that. You've already stated you were happy with your dual site arrangement. So, is the only contribution here is to constantly shit on the place?

akmc_in_au

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 pm

pinemikey wrote:C'mon Alan...how about getting off the snark fest?

The place is a dump. We know that. You've already stated you were happy with your dual site arrangement.

Actually I wouldn't have said anything, and indeed didn't say anything, until someone came in with another "love it or leave it" response to the original poster. That resulted in what was at the time a discussion thread which was (a) perfectly civil and (b) no-one else had to read if they didn't want to. Unlike some threads which start out as a question and devolve, this one had a fairly clear topic from the start. But no, a third party had to come in with the "Whiners! Maligners" name-calling fest. Note that I have never devolved to petty namecalling, and the only time I've used terms like "fanbois" is in parody.

And when it comes to "turning the other cheek" Mike, you ain't one to lecture on that. I've seen your posts, and you and I are cut from the same cloth on that point. Someone dumps on us, and "meek and mild" isn't the likely response.

I was also pretty much done with it until someone else made an incorrect claim that PBase had a feature "which is more than can be said for other sites", which might be just a touch misleading to Johnny Clueless who's looking for a new photo sharing site. I know that if I knew nothing about photo sharing sites and someone claimed that PBase had a particular feature which others didn't, I'd be more than a touch confused, if not misled by it.

pinemikey wrote:So, is the only contribution here is to constantly shit on the place?

Yyyyeah. I never answer questions from users, I only dump on the place. Think I may have mentioned something about that previously.

pinemikey

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:10 pm

You see, there again with the hair trigger.

Sure I'm not always Mr. Polite, but I don't think my fuse is as short as yours seems to have gotten.

I know you help out, but even you have to admit that lately just about every comment comes with a big drip of sarcasm. If you are where you want to be, what's the point in answering queries with barely concealed contempt for Pbase? THAT'S why you're getting the love it or leave it stuff.

akmc_in_au

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 pm

pinemikey wrote:You see, there again with the hair trigger.

Sure I'm not always Mr. Polite, but I don't think my fuse is as short as yours seems to have gotten.

Well there's your opinion on both aspects of that point, and there's my opinion on both aspects of that point, and I don't think that either of them is completely wrong, or completely right.

pinemikey wrote:I know you help out, but even you have to admit that lately just about every comment comes with a big drip of sarcasm. If you are where you want to be, what's the point in answering queries with barely concealed contempt for Pbase?

If you mean the bit where I cautioned CBeas about the use of the reduced "large" size, and admittedly did so with no small degree of hyperbole, I think that "dripping with contempt" might be overstating the matter. But again, your opinion, my opinion, etc.

pinemikey wrote:THAT'S why you're getting the love it or leave it stuff.

Actually the first one of those wasn't directed to me, but to the OP.

pinemikey

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Yeah, I know, but when the hate Pbase and why don't you leave stuff starts flying around, the targets are usually anybody and everybody.

We, I and yourself or Walter or Fishit didn't create this situation, we're just living it. Attacking each other solves fuck all. No one is denying your right to be pissy at Pbase admins but railing on about it doesn't get anywhere either. I have been reluctant to involve myself with these "Pbase sucks" threads lately, exactly for the very reason that I will shit up one side and down the other of posters who I consider irrationally or unfairly misinforming fellow members. Especially the hysterical speculation based on sweet fuck all.

Let's be clear, I know you don't actively wish Pbase to go in the tank, unlike a few other petulant former members who somehow "need" Pbase to fail to justify their frustration. However, the added creeping up of the snark is there. Just wondering if you really think it's required to embarrass Pbase at every turn....assuming they even would be.

madlights

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:46 am

I don't even come on the forums much anymore, mostly because I know exactly what I'll see. I've said what I've had to say and figure once or twice is enough. I still don't believe that this constant complaining on here does much good to rectify any problem. All it does is start this 'love it or leave it' stuff. What I tried to say in my previous post was that the forum seems to me like it's dying to a degree, and all this crap isn't contributing to people posting anything useful. A good debate never hurt anyone, and sometimes we even learn from 'em when we're wrong...I know I have. But when it gets into personal attack, or someone feeling as if they are being belittled for their ideas personally, all that does is make someone stubborn, and it ain't a debate anymore. It's a fight. Then even if we are wrong we aren't going to admit it, don't ask me how I know that :wink: Guess I've gotta agree with Mike.

akmc_in_au

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:15 am

madlights wrote:But when it gets into personal attack, or someone feeling as if they are being belittled for their ideas personally, all that does is make someone stubborn, and it ain't a debate anymore. It's a fight. Then even if we are wrong we aren't going to admit it

Mmmm. Interesting theory.

madlights

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:38 am

Alan. All that relentless and constant criticism does is get people p**ssed off. If you, or anyone else can live with that OK. I'm no PBase fanboy...but it is working OK for many of us. We aren't dumb. If you, the OP, or anyone need to vent your frustration OK...but don't blame people if they don't want to hear it? Same thing with anyone's posts...yeah they can be ignored by anyone...you could have ignored Ben's posts in Q&A(that you considered a 'form' of spam if I'm correct - which may not be the case, and which I didn't agree with your well stated arguments on) back a while ago, but you chose to answer them...much as people are answering you now (however forcefully). I've been here coming on 6 years, and have seen it a lot worse. I know you don't want it to sink...but nobody that can do anything about it is listening much to the forums...and seems to me that most think it's working OK for them, with a few glitches now and again. Probably always be problems, crashes, rumors and riots on PBase, there always has been...but like I once remember a certain person saying on here, something about people not getting their knickers in a knot. It will work itself out...one way or another. I've got a signature on another forum It's a quote from a great man, it goes: "why so serious"". And that applies to me, or anyone...as does what I said about personal attacks. But it doesn't mean that if you keep saying something that makes others think that "what am I dumb?" that you won't get personal attacks...right or wrong. Then it deteriorates.
If you sit outside in the rain: you get wet.

sheila

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:40 am

akmc_in_au wrote:
sheila wrote:I upload my images and have no problems. I get comments and I get sales via my gallery. Stylesheets are the same as they ever were but I can now live with that. I can add StatCounters which is more than can be said for other sites.

Really? That'll come as a surprise to my SmugMug StatCounter project. Which records all of my visits, not just the ones that the code randomly decides to render (or not) on.

Why are you getting your knickers in such a knot, Alan? My comment did not relate to SmugMug in particular. It related to such sites as Flickr et al. StatCounters are not the be all and end all. Most new members or those looking for photo sharing sites would not place statcounters too high in their list of requirements. If PBase is so bad, Alan, why not just use SmugMug and save yourself $23.00 :)

Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Please sell out!