Board index PBase Questions and Answers Stability of PBase

Questions and Answers

Stability of PBase

Ask if you need help using PBase.
altofran

Stability of PBase

Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:30 am

Hi everyone,

I'm writing to ask about the stability of PBase in the last few months. Since I subscribed in late 2001, I've never witnessed such a difficult period for PBase. I thought that becoming a «Paid service» will help going through stability and speed issues.

Are there particular problems? Is there anything to do from users side?

Hope to get a bit more details about those issues.

Have a good week-end,
B. Nacef

ltobias

Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:00 am

Hi,

switching over to an "paid service" was no big help, because of the many non-supporter. I think Slug should start to delete these galleries in a short time(two months or less). After this we can talk about pabse as an "paid service".

Maybe this would also help for more stability.

Leif

flashboy99

Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:11 am

I think 10mg's for free is pretty generous. I think free accounts should be left because they give ppl a way to try out Pbase, but maybe file size allowed for free accounts should be smaller, to maybe help?

Also if there are free accounts which have not been touched or abandoned these should be deleted... if they arent already.

my two cents.

flashboy99

Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:13 am

I think 10mg's for free is pretty generous. I think free accounts should be left because they give ppl a way to try out Pbase, but maybe file size allowed for free accounts should be smaller, to maybe help?

Also if there are free accounts which have not been touched or abandoned these should be deleted... if they arent already.

my two cents.

ltobias

Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:17 am

I'm not talking about the test accounts. I see a bigger problem in the old accounts with sometimes 1000 and more pictures or a big amount of storage space.

Leif

srijith

Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:07 am

Maybe slug can:

(*)Reduce the size of non-paid members' account
(*)Fully inactivate (including view) non-paid members after x months.
(*)Even for paid members, introduce a bandwidth limit?

dayeliu

Bandwidth limit is not goood

Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:21 am

Indeed we need to restrain the bandwidth consumption, but could be done with non-intrusive approaches. A frequently viewed good picture sucks a lot of bandwidth, but it also draw a lot of attentions, which is good for pBase.

One way to do it is to set a reasonable limit of the image size/resolution. This is especially important when today's digital camera often takes 5M Pixel pictures. Most pictures don't need that kind of resolution to be appreciated on screen.

Inactive account serves no good to anyone. They should be removed ASAP.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Stability of PBase