Board index PBase Questions and Answers Caption format

Questions and Answers

Caption format

Ask if you need help using PBase.
doowopper

Caption format

Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:43 am

With the new changes in pbase, the descriptions of the photos (the full size photos) below the photos are now left justified. (The captions below the thumbnails are centered.) To me, the left justified descriptions look weird, with the photos centered on the screen. Is there any way to alter the format of the descriptions of the photos so that they are centered under each photo? If so, how do I do it?
Thanks.
Richard Hirschman
http://www.pbase.com/doowopper[/url]

srijith

Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:42 pm

Hm.. did anything happen between the time you wrote that post and I checked the images? 'Cos I see the caption text centered under the snap.

Example Photo - http://www.pbase.com/image/17371005

Anyway to doubly make sure the text is centred just put this piece of code in your CSS:

Code: Select all
/*To center the Title of the image */
h3.title {
text-align:center;
}

/*To center the Caption of the image*/
p.caption {
}

minoltaman

Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:44 pm

Slug made a post somewhere the last couple of days that said he is working on adding some user options. We will see some strange things for a bit until he gets this completed. Like big titles and the already fixed left justified stuff.

doowopper

Still have caption problem

Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:15 pm

Thanks for both responses.
1) The descriptions under my big photos are still left justified when seen on my computer, even the one that Srijith mentioned in his post that is centered when seen on his computer. I don't get it. In fact all of my descriptions under all of my photos are still left justified. Why would they appear left justified on my computer and not on another computer?
2) Sriijith, I am sorry for my naivete but, if you don't mind, could you please give me somewhat more specific directions about the code for centering the descriptions under my photos, e.g., where do the specific descriptions go in the code you wrote and do I neeed to different lines for some of the type, as seen in your post? Any additional help with that code is appreciated.
3) Also, what does CSS stand for?
Thanks again.
Richard
http://www.pbase.com/doowopper

mikelly

Left-centered captions

Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:16 pm

I have noticed that the captions are centered properly when viewed with MSIE, but left justified with both Mozilla Firebird and Opera. I've been working on this issue this morning and haven't found a solution, yet...

Mike

juliano

Left captioned with Netscape and not IE5

Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:21 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your response. After reading your post, I did a little test. Yes, as you suggested, my photo descriptions are left justified when I view them with Netscape 7 (a version of Mozilla, I believe), but the descriptions are centered when viewed with Internet Explorer 5. I appreciate your willingness to work on this problem. Those left justified descriptions don't look all that attractive under a centered photo.
Thanks again.
Richard

srijith

Re: Still have caption problem

Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:04 am

doowopper wrote:1) The descriptions under my big photos are still left justified when seen on my computer, even the one that Srijith mentioned in his post that is centered when seen on his computer. I don't get it. In fact all of my descriptions under all of my photos are still left justified. Why would they appear left justified on my computer and not on another computer?

All I can say is either my browsers (Opera 7.11, IE 6.0.28 and Mozilla Firebird 0.6) are all acting weird or you are all wrong :) The text ("The Hotel Luna Convento & guard tower (now a hotel suite and a restuarant) as seen from the beach. Used a telephoto setting.") under the picture at the URL http://www.pbase.com/image/17371005 seems centered enough to me!
doowopper wrote:2) Sriijith, I am sorry for my naivete but, if you don't mind, could you please give me somewhat more specific directions about the code for centering the descriptions under my photos, e.g., where do the specific descriptions go in the code you wrote and do I neeed to different lines for some of the type, as seen in your post? Any additional help with that code is appreciated.

Ok.. follow these steps. It is a bit lengthy since you have been using somone else's already provided stylesheet and will have to make your own to edit it as you please.:
1 - Go to the edit page of any one of galleries whose look you want to change.
2 - Look for the column "style sheet" and click on "edit stylesheets" next to it.
3 - In the next page under "Create a new Style Sheet" enter a name for your sheet and click "New CSS".
4 - In the next page, there will be two editable text boxes. The first is the name of the sheet. Let it remain (you just chose it). Below that is a bigger box with some default text in it. Delete the whole text and put the following into the textbox:
Code: Select all
DIV,BODY,TD,TH,TR,TABLE,FONT,INPUT,LI,UL,FORM,
BLOCKQUOTE,P,B,I,H1,H2,H3,H4,H5 {
  font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;
  color : #888888;
  background : black;
}

A:link { color : #5865e1}
A:active { color : #d5ae83}
A:visited { color : #5068e3}
A:hover { color : #5b80b7}

.caption {
  font-size : 9pt;
  color : #dddddd;
  font-style : italic;
}
BODY { margin-top: 0px;}
/*To center the Title of the image */
h3.title {
}

/*To center the Caption of the image*/
p.caption {
}

5 - click on "Update CSS".
6 - Now go to the edit page of each of the galleries you have and choose the new sheet you just created from the drop down box next to "style sheet" and then click on "Update Gallery".
7 - That is it. The gallery should be ok now, hopefully. Anyway, it was always ok in my browser!
doowopper wrote:3) Also, what does CSS stand for?

Cascading Style Sheet

doowopper

Captions ok now

Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:41 am

Hi Srijith,
Thanks so much for your detailed and helpful response about the code. Also, you are correct about the photo descriptions being centered. This change (for me) must have happened sometime yesterday or today because for me, that's when the left justified descriptions became centered.
Richard

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Caption format