Board index PBase Questions and Answers Your Most Voted Shots

Questions and Answers

Your Most Voted Shots

Ask if you need help using PBase.
djwixx
 
Posts: 1360

Your Most Voted Shots

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:05 pm


If you want to find a list of your most voted shots check out the link below,
http://homepages.tesco.net/jjh/PBase_popular_images/
and look for your account name.

The list is kindly put together by Pbase member John Hastings but is not part of the Pbase system. I believe it's updated about once a week.

earthling
 
Posts: 423

Clarification

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:46 am


The tables do not show everyone’s most voted shots. They show the popular images and galleries published by PBase. PBase exclude some items, which can mean that YOUR most voted does NOT appear. I believe PBase’s exclusions are:
[list]- images with fewer than 5 votes don’t make it to the “all daysâ€

railnut
 
Posts: 99

VOTES

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:03 pm


So in other words ,low counts on votes simply means can't tell how any shots maybe doing.OH well subsription runs out in 3 months ,i really thought p-base was a better sight than this and all shooters were treated equally

kinginexile
 
Posts: 42


Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:29 pm


I have always wondered what prompts people to vote for one (pix, gallery) and not the other. not sure why I get so few votes, but happy with the many visits and hundreds of comments on my galleries. I starte dposting in summer 2005, not 2002 though (I must have quickly signed in then and forgot the site for 3 years)

amoxtli
 
Posts: 2978
Location: San Diego, California

Votes

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:11 am


There is no way that the voting system can be accurate given the information above. Also, what is to prevent people from setting up more than one account and then voting for all their own shots? Or how about leaving the little V and not voting for an image? I don't really pay much attention to votes. I like the comments way better.

akmc_in_au
 
Posts: 914

Re: Votes

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:38 am


amoxtli wrote:There is no way that the voting system can be accurate given the information above. Also, what is to prevent people from setting up more than one account and then voting for all their own shots?


I'm not sure, but I don't think that trial accounts can vote. I'm fairly certain I read that somewhere, but I can't recall where now; that is, whether it was in the Forums or in the Help system somewhere. That means that someone could still DO that... but it's going to cost them $USD23 a pop. They'd need to be AWFULLY vain... :)

amoxtli wrote: Or how about leaving the little V and not voting for an image?


You're dead right, there's nothing at all to stop that. The only way would be for PBase to show you a list of how many votes each of your images has received. If the number doesn't increase, you'd know that they fibbed. This is something that's been discussed many times in the past; some think that such a feature would help you know which photos are most appreciated, others feel that it would result in a "votes race". I have mixed feelings on the subject.

amoxtli wrote:I don't really pay much attention to votes. I like the comments way better.


Agreed, it's even better if the comments say what the person likes (or thinks can be improved) about the shot. Although even this can be hit and miss; I know that I sometimes don't leave comments even if I really like an image. Sometimes it's because I don't have the time, sometimes it's because I'd just be parroting the previous 20 comments. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Using Stat Counter to see how long people view particular images for is another way, though that only tells you what they like, and not why.

(Comments don't always help with that either; I've had a couple where people have said something like "that's my favourite image in your galleries". Really? THAT one? Why... uh... THAT one, are you SURE??? :) )

But the big feature that I think is missing is the ability to see all of the images that you yourself have voted for or made comments on. I know that I've commented on / voted for some images that I'll probably never be able to find again now; you can't bookmark EVERY image or add every artist to your favourites. Being able to see a list of your own comments would be a great way to be able to navigate back to images that you've enjoyed in the past.

djwixx
 
Posts: 1360

Re: Votes

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:47 am


amoxtli wrote:There is no way that the voting system can be accurate given the information above. Also, what is to prevent people from setting up more than one account and then voting for all their own shots? Or how about leaving the little V and not voting for an image? I don't really pay much attention to votes. I like the comments way better.


I completely agree, but how do you create a foolproof system? The only thing I could think of was to limit the number of votes each person has daily so they may think twice about where the votes go. Another option would be to add a vote tick box to the comment box. Hopefully that would stop Vs being added to comments. It would increase the amount of voting, but it would probably increase across the board so overall the results would seem the same.

I just like my voting list as a way of choosing pictures of mine that other people have liked, rather than choosing a few myself. My 'mosted voted' gallery has a statement that the voting system is fickle so don't assume quality!!

And yes, the comments are far more pleasant to enjoy.

merriwolf
 
Posts: 121
Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada

Where's John

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:49 pm


It's been over two weeks now since John updated his 'Popular Images' stats page...

http://homepages.tesco.net/jjh/PBase_popular_images/

Does anyone know if he's stopped updating it or gone on holidays or what?

bossuytj
 
Posts: 143

Re: Where's John

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:55 am


merriwolf wrote:It's been over two weeks now since John updated his 'Popular Images' stats page...

http://homepages.tesco.net/jjh/PBase_popular_images/

Does anyone know if he's stopped updating it or gone on holidays or what?


I think the frequency is longer now because it takes ages to calculate these pages.
The number of most popular photos all times are also exploding.
Here are your stats of today : http://users.telenet.be/joost.bossuyt/pbase/merriwolf.html

merriwolf
 
Posts: 121
Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada

Re: Where's John

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:03 am


bossuytj wrote:I think the frequency is longer now because it takes ages to calculate these pages.
The number of most popular photos all times are also exploding.
Here are your stats of today : http://users.telenet.be/joost.bossuyt/pbase/merriwolf.html


Very interesting, Joost. How is that data accessed?

bossuytj
 
Posts: 143

Re: Where's John

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:38 pm


merriwolf wrote:Very interesting, Joost. How is that data accessed?


I retrieve all popular gallery and photo pages and extract the info out of it.

earthling
 
Posts: 423

Re: Your Most Voted Shots

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:52 am


Hi Guys,

My index building service is struggling due to the large and increasing number of popular entries. My web scraping approach to data gathering is no longer viable.

You should expect future updates no more than once per month. I expect that within a few months updates will not be practical at all.

I’ll post again before closing the service.

Regards,

John Hastings

merriwolf
 
Posts: 121
Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada

Re: Your Most Voted Shots

Post Thu May 01, 2008 8:52 am


earthling wrote:My index building service is struggling due to the large and increasing number of popular entries. My web scraping approach to data gathering is no longer viable.

You should expect future updates no more than once per month. I expect that within a few months updates will not be practical at all.

I’ll post again before closing the service.

Regards,
John Hastings


Sad to hear this, John, but it's certainly understandable.

Regards,
Gordon W

dougj
 
Posts: 2275

Re: Your Most Voted Shots

Post Thu May 01, 2008 9:29 am


Thanks for providing this all along John, it was really appreciated! It would be great if the PBase team would provide this level of statistics.

bossuytj
 
Posts: 143

Re: Your Most Voted Shots

Post Fri May 02, 2008 7:02 pm


dougj wrote:Thanks for providing this all along John, it was really appreciated! It would be great if the PBase team would provide this level of statistics.


Doug, here are your stats : http://users.telenet.be/joost.bossuyt/pbase/dougj.html

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Your Most Voted Shots

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests