Board index PBase Questions and Answers Your Most Voted Shots

Questions and Answers

Your Most Voted Shots

Ask if you need help using PBase.
chestersgallery

Re: Your Most Voted Shots

Post Mon May 12, 2008 9:11 pm

A lot of negative comment here. Just chill out and take pictures. If you can't take them for the shear pleasure of it then don't post them. If its a pat on the back you want go and see your mates. But don't expect every PBase member to trawl through millions of images before they vote. Of course the featured galleries get more votes , but most of the ones I have seen deserve them. And you can't expect the editors to trawl through millions of postings and spend hours choosing a featured gallery each day. I don't know how they do it and I don't care. Just take your pictures , get them posted , and then be greatful if you get a comment , let alone a vote. GGGGGRRRRRR. Ok Rant over , Im ok now :lol:

andymacd

Post Tue May 13, 2008 12:32 pm

The numbers give us a clue as to how well we are performaing against our peers. It's not a diffinitive score, but it IS a clue. I for one haven't a camera club to join so never get any peer group critiques other than what Iget on PBASE, so I find the numbers that John provides and the comments that fellow pbasers leave to be invaluable. The pat on the back is nice but the real value is in the constructive criticism my images receive and being able to use John's lists to indicate what the most popular images are for me to learn from.

I hope you can keep going John because it really is very much appeciated, but don't the the Pbase staff read these forums? If so, we could do with a comment from them on what their plans are on providing the level of info that John does. It's obviously very useful to a lot of Pbasers and I for one would pay an extra quid on my subscription if it could be provided in a nice usable interface.

jledorze

Post Fri May 16, 2008 10:07 pm

When I compare V letters from comments with stats from popular galleries, figures are often different.
May be it's a good thing not to know the number of votes and believe that V or GMV symbols are real :-)

steven_hight

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:29 pm

earthling wrote:Hi Guys,

My index building service is struggling due to the large and increasing number of popular entries. My web scraping approach to data gathering is no longer viable.

You should expect future updates no more than once per month. I expect that within a few months updates will not be practical at all.

I’ll post again before closing the service.

Regards,

John Hastings

I have regularly searched through your magnificently presented data in the hope of finding my own galleries.
Usually to no avail - but what a buzz when something finally showed up.

Silly really - like many others I can see the limitations of any measuring device which relies on the subjective nature of unquantifiable comment and input. I know of some photographers who shun PBase simply because of the ability this system provides for critical feedback and comment on individual images.

It can take a pretty thick skin to go through the process of capturing an image, preparing it for gallery presentation, then posting and waiting in the hope that somewhere out-there someone else appreciates the vision and artistic attempt.
That is - if what you want to achieve is recognition, votes, comments and perhaps sales.
All these things conflict in some way.

I want people to see my pictures and to vote for them so that more people will come to see my pictures and possibly vote for them.
Each and every image presented on PBase is special to someone. Each and every image stopped a moment in time that is unique and unrepeatable. This art is for everyone - and not just the lucky multitudes that ever made the voted galleries database.

Thankyou for the time and energy that you have put into this John - enjoy PBase for the collective revolution that is the digital era.

cits_4_pets

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:04 pm

I would like to see the shots that I VOTED FOR, because those are the images I would like to revisit. Sometimes someone will reply thanking me for commenting on the photo and that is the only way I can find it. Sure I can put their galleries into my favorites but not the individual image. I used to never mention I voted, but am finding if I do, I get a reply more often therefore more likely to find that photo I enjoyed.

As far as my images being voted on, that would give me an idea if a particular image or gallery is appealing to others. I do appreciate comments & have learned from them. I usually always visit someone elses photos if they have left a comment since they took time and I have discovered some very talented folks that way.

I have found some wonderful galleries by searching through the most popular. Be nice to see 'most voted' arranged as topics, so if you wanted to find some great sunsets & sunrises...you could.

Flo Image
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

troron

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:44 pm

I don't get this.
What am I running for that would need votes?
I am not interested in votes.
I would be more interested in conversations and exchanges I could have with good photographers.

This voting thing... I don't know.

quercus

Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 am

what a great thing!
how do you collect the data? AFAIK the votes are not public.

vdot35

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 pm

where can i vote and select user galleries?

lancemoreland

Re: Where's John

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:36 pm

merriwolf wrote:It's been over two weeks now since John updated his 'Popular Images' stats page...

http://homepages.tesco.net/jjh/PBase_popular_images/

Does anyone know if he's stopped updating it or gone on holidays or what?

It has been over 4 months since this has been updated. Is the party over?

sbbish

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:53 pm

lancemoreland wrote:It has been over 4 months since this has been updated. Is the party over?

If you read back earlier in this thread, John addresses the issue. He also says, "You should expect future updates no more than once per month. I expect that within a few months updates will not be practical at all."

And since PBase now seems to limit the data on the Popular Galleries and Photos to only 100+ votes for the All Time stats and 30+ votes for the 90 Day stats (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39525), there's not even a full set of data for John to compile anymore.

So, to sum up...yes, the party is over.

Scott

tvw

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:22 am

That's sad I really liked this service.

It's too bad Pbase isn't offering more info about votes / traffic / mail system.
I would really like the complete interface to be updated, unfortunately this isn't a big issue for the Pbase owners.

Other big photo hosts (Flickr, SmugSmug, Zenfolio, etc) offer much easier website changes. Too bad I don't like the total look of these pages. Pbase is still 'cleaner' looking, if only Pbase was more innovative and stable and faster.

Unfortunately (almost) nothing has changed over the last couple of years (also communication with the customers is a problem). Quite a few people already left Pbase for this. How sad.

kodachrome

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:44 am

sbbish wrote:So, to sum up...yes, the party is over.

Hmmm ... I think I will disable voting on my galleries as it all seems kind of pointless now.

-- Mark --

dougj

Alternatives to vote stats

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:19 am

Alternatives to voting that can be considered:

1. PBstats - written by Arjun, this simple program will generate a list of photos and galleries ranked by the number of page views, although not the same as votes, it shows what guests & users are viewing. Located in the wiki at the top of this forum, or:
http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/tools

2. Install one of the stat counters that PBase supports & runs in the background - Lots of data on where viewers come from, how they found you, how long they stayed, landing & exit pages, browser & monitor type, etc. FWIW, I use the one from statcounter.com
http://forums.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 2&start=45

Lastly, to be 'found' by Google & the other search engines, photos should have meaningful names & descriptions - too generic of a name, e.g. Frankfurt, and the shot will get lost in hundreds/thousands of pages of returns; images named DSC_1573 are not descriptive enough. This doesn't result in more votes, but it helps expand the audience we share our photos with.

juanjosereyes

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:19 pm

I sometimes see a V in a comment . Does that mean that the person commenting actually voted? ( meaning actually hit the "vote" button)
What does it mean when VVVV appears?

akmc_in_au

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:38 am

juanjosereyes wrote:I sometimes see a V in a comment . Does that mean that the person commenting actually voted? ( meaning actually hit the "vote" button)

No, it means that they're CLAIMING that they voted, which isn't always the same thing. Similarly GMV apparently means "Got My Vote". In most cases they will indeed have done so, and if they make some specific observations about the image then it's almost certain that they have. After all, it just takes a mouse click to do so so there's no point putting that in the comments if you haven't done or don't do it.

However it may not be the case with people who just copy and paste the same generic comments into dozens of images (including the "V" symbol) to try to get those people to visit their own galleries (and possibly instil enough of a sense of obligation to get them to return the vote).

juanjosereyes wrote:What does it mean when VVVV appears?

That one you've got me on. I've never see that, though someone may be using that as a way of emphasising that they gave the image or gallery a vote. I don't think it's common, though.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Your Most Voted Shots