Board index PBase Questions and Answers Your Most Voted Shots

Questions and Answers

Your Most Voted Shots

Ask if you need help using PBase.
hiero

Re: Your Most Voted Shots

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Does any of you know what was the first ever Pbase comment with the V? In other words, who invented to V for indicating that they voted? I saw some V's in 2005 comments, but who was the first?
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

akmc_in_au

Post Sun May 03, 2009 8:47 am

nikesalelin wrote:I don't really pay much attention to votes. I like the comments way better.

My only comment is that it would be wonderful if someone invented a bug spray that was toxic to spamming parasites. Still I have to admit that this is an unusual approach; using a trial account to upload images of your rip-off shoes.

kayakbiker

Post Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:33 pm

I wonder if some of my galleries that appeared at the top of the popular galleries were zeroed out when they were exiled to what was previously a link to the political galleries?

hmetal

Re: Votes

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:05 am

akmc_in_au wrote:
amoxtli wrote:
amoxtli wrote: Or how about leaving the little V and not voting for an image?

You're dead right, there's nothing at all to stop that. The only way would be for PBase to show you a list of how many votes each of your images has received. If the number doesn't increase, you'd know that they fibbed. This is something that's been discussed many times in the past; some think that such a feature would help you know which photos are most appreciated, others feel that it would result in a "votes race". I have mixed feelings on the subject.

I would LOVE if pbase finally put a vote counter display on images. Even better, put it in the gallery editor too!

As for a vote race, that's a ridiculous reason not to do it. So what if people make a contest out of it? At least it would get people more involved, which would make pbase more interactive for those viewing/browsing.

PBase needs to adopt a "just do it" attitude if a group of people agree that a given feature is useful. If Dixie Doohickey doesn't like the feature, then Dixie shouldn't use it.

hmetal

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:29 pm

Additionally, why not SHOW US the vote count for our images instead of us sitting here and wondering what our vote status is, if we're not at the top of the list or BLOCKED from the vote page because of our mature content?

I never could understand why, as paying members, we (myself and others who shoot glamour, artistic nudes and other things, not just cute fluffy bunnies and family pets) are blocked from public pages like the recent gallery and popular photos. My images have been blocked from being seen in those locations since a VERY SMALL subset of PBase members objected to my content.

This kind of nonsense doesn't happen at Flickr or Zenfolio.

And before some fanboy comes along and says, "then go get space on those sites," I already have. I just so happen to exhibit my images in many places. PBase USED TO BE the best. But lately, with the problems, lack of communication, restriction of features based on censorship, PBase just isn't up to par anymore.

I just bought recently another $60 worth of PBase credits to support what I HOPE the site will become. But, after these credits run out, if my needs are not met, I won't bother buying more.

So.. MY QUESTIONS:

1. When will stats be fixed?
2. Where is the "mature content filtering system" that was promised OVER 2 YEARS ago?
3. When will I, as a paying member, get access to ALL the features of PBase just like everyone else and end this censorship garbage? The current system is QUITE Draconian. None of my images are appearing appearing in popular photos nor the PAD or RECENT galleries because of ONE PHOTO I posted in November 2006! YES, NOVEMBER ** 3 YEARS AGO ** Yet on Flickr, my images, many of them far more adult oriented than what I've uploaded to PBase continue to gain in statistics and are available PUBLICALLY to members who turn off the content filter.

Can we get answers WITH resolutions and not just some nonsense excuse that the admins will hope quiet the masses for another few months?

mollylev

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:25 pm

I agree. The stats are very helpful and well organized. It's certainly a model I would like to see implemented on a wide basis.
Thanks!

kstuebin

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:47 pm

I have been asking for a NSFW filter for a long time which would essentially solve the issue of people being banned everywhere for some photos.

I am also on Flickr as are many other Pbase members.

And it's not because I don't like Pbase or want to leave Pbase. It's because the deafening silence and the lack of any kind of improvements makes me wonder if Pbase is even going to remain in business.

I would be willing to bet, at this point in time, 90% of the Pbase members are using another photo hosting site too.
Last edited by kstuebin on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishit

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 am

kstuebin wrote:I have been asking for a NSFW filter for a long time which would essentially solve the issue of people being banned everywhere for some photos.

This should be on the priority list of code upgrade imho.
There maybe something like secure log in and other functions I am not privy too that needs sooner attention.
It would allow the site some further income via paid click ads and also allow more free expression.
I am not thinking about leaving PBase I signed up for more years the other day.
I think your suggestion would vastly improve the website and the potentiality for increased profits

ac

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:09 pm

So easy, but they are nor able !

ac

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:10 pm

thinking to leave, again !
But they don't care at all ! :-)

cits_4_pets

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:02 pm

[quote="hmetal"]Additionally, why not SHOW US the vote count for our images instead of us sitting here and wondering what our vote status is, if we're not at the top of the list or BLOCKED from the vote page because of our mature content?

I agree that a vote count be shown. My images may get 10 so called votes but they are not in most popular so people are saying they voted when they are not just so they get reciprocal votes I guess. I don't leave 'V' since being chastised by a popular person. Will stop a lot of "V" being left. I would like to know which images are truly appreciated.
There are some folks who V for every single PAD image and they are usually the 1st person to comment. They know who they are and their comments mean nothing to me. I think the artificial voters should be banned! Maybe V means they were trying to paste...like control-v & they just missed the control button. LOL
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

lady_d

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:31 pm

cits_4_pets wrote:
hmetal wrote:Additionally, why not SHOW US the vote count for our images instead of us sitting here and wondering what our vote status is, if we're not at the top of the list or BLOCKED from the vote page because of our mature content?

I agree that a vote count be shown. My images may get 10 so called votes but they are not in most popular so people are saying they voted when they are not just so they get reciprocal votes I guess. I don't leave 'V' since being chastised by a popular person. Will stop a lot of "V" being left. I would like to know which images are truly appreciated.
There are some folks who V for every single PAD image and they are usually the 1st person to comment. They know who they are and their comments mean nothing to me. I think the artificial voters should be banned! Maybe V means they were trying to paste...like control-v & they just missed the control button. LOL

Well Popular Images are really a farce, they maybe popular but that does not make them good.Now with no limit for anyone there are pages and pages of so called popular images and for what it is worth I have had people put the "V" on images and galleries where I have voting disabled so that tells you what it is worth. I never say if I vote (and I do vote on images I feel are good) but I don't indicate if I vote or not, that is my prerogative and I don't have to flaunt it to get a vote back. Time Pbase looked at their system regarding voting because the best does not always float to the top.

cits_4_pets

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:59 am

agree, just vote prostitution in hoping they get reciprocal vote. I do vote but only for great images. Most of these images would not win let alone place in my local camera club. LOL
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

pegsam

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:33 pm

I'd like to see the "vote" option go away entirely because it is misused so often. Many of the comments and votes are just platitudes and reciprocal reflexes. I'd rather have a simple thumbs up / thumbs down icon that isn't tied to a comment.

And, in my perfect world, actual critiques would be provided by my fellow PBasers instead of all the platitudes. I know that very few of my images are all that praise-worthy and many, many more are better poised for suggestions on what I could do to improve.

Now, all that being said, there are many fine examples of some outstanding photography on PBase --- just not every single photo (if one were to believe the comments).

ultra_imaging04

Re: VOTES

Post Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:20 pm

railnut wrote:So in other words ,low counts on votes simply means can't tell how any shots maybe doing.OH well subsription runs out in 3 months ,i really thought p-base was a better sight than this and all shooters were treated equally

its not and has become BS....so many other sites,,Google...100 GB for 2 bucks a month..I get more views ...more coments ..then here

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Your Most Voted Shots