Board index PBase Questions and Answers Gallery hit counter grinds to a halt.

Questions and Answers

Gallery hit counter grinds to a halt.

Ask if you need help using PBase.
alienspresent

Gallery hit counter grinds to a halt.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:45 pm

Is anyone experiencing their Gallery hit counters not moving i.e. not counting hits?? All of my gallery counters have remained stationary for approximately the last 24hrs although images within those galleries have counted hits.

I altered my CSS at about the same time that the counters halted is this a coincidence?? Could some one have a look at my source code to see if I'm to blame....

Cheers

Ian

http://www.pbase.com/alienspresent

jchambers

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:13 am

It looks like my hit counters have halved.

how odd. I just cracked 8000 the other day (On all galleries page), and now I'm down to 4000somthing.

How richly bizzare.

flashboy99

weird...

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:12 pm

I thought it was people weren't visiting...... but I think its doing that on my galleries also.......

notaflag

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:40 pm

Have you read this thread? http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=319

Darren

alienspresent

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:20 pm

Ha! Thanks for pointing that thread out, at least I'm not on my own. I was convinced my new CSS had something to do with it, Slug to the rescue.

Cheers

Ian

catblack

Hit Counters on Edit Gallery Page

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:31 pm

I'm still experiencing 0 hits on two new galleries that were uploaded late Sunday 8/10. I know they are getting hits which show at the bottom when I go to "display gallery." Will be patient though til you fix this! Thanks!
Last edited by catblack on Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ottosphotos

Re: Hit Counters on Edit Gallery Page

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:14 pm

i'm having the same problem with galleries i created last night. the edit page shows zero hits, but when i display the gallery i can see the number of views.

catblack wrote:I'm still experiencing 0 hits on two new galleries that were uploaded late Sunday 8/10. I know they are getting hits which show at the bottom when I go to "display gallery." Will be patient though til you fix this! Thanks!

mamaqilla

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:38 pm

I am also experiencing the same problem you've described. I wonder if it is on all counters or some setting I've over looked? Count has STOPPED

flashboy99

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:56 pm

I'm assuming they are working on this? minor inconvenience I know but would be nice to have, I have clients I'm checking up on... to make sure they have viewed the work....

craig_c

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:22 pm

They were going to get it fixed yesterday, but must have run into some problems. Also they may be installing a new server right about now. I don't get any updates on hits in the "edit root gallery" or "edit gallery" page.

alienspresent

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:09 pm

There is an explanation to be found at http://www.pbase.com/help/hit_counters

Hope this is of use to all.

Ian

craig_c

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:04 pm

Well, I think I already knew that.

What I would like to know is if the hits are going to continue to be recorded in the "edit gallery" or "edit root gallery" screen like they used to be. Or, is this going to be replaced by another page/chart/graph or whatever? Seeing the totals in those screens was very helpful and easy to follow.

mamaqilla

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:33 pm

It almost seems that the "most popular" vote has become a problem. In an effort to keep that as accurate as possible, we lose the individual count. I would rather see the count in my "edit root gallery" and know which images people respond to than to have a competition for "most popular gallery" ...much more helpful to the individual photographer. ???

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:59 am

the gallery hit count displayed on the gallery edit page is now updating properly.
it shows the same number as at the bottom of the gallery display page, which does not include your own hits.
similar to other recent problems, the hits have been being recorded correctly for years, it's just been a display problem.

to address a couple of other points in this thread:

yes, there will be a chart display coming up. not ready yet.

the page view counts have nothing to do with the "popular galleries" page. those galleries are selected by having other people click on the "vote for this gallery" link.

-slug

bobtrips

Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:02 pm

Possibly related - my gallery is showing a "# viewers since "March 2002" - not the current date.

The hits to date total has dropped by over a thousand from the peak.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Gallery hit counter grinds to a halt.