Board index PBase Questions and Answers Wrong exposure time in EXIF data?

Questions and Answers

Wrong exposure time in EXIF data?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
the_photo_tuell

Wrong exposure time in EXIF data?

Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:14 pm

I noticed on one of my pictures that the exposure time shown in the EXIF data on PBase is 1/1244 second, while the actual exposure was 1/1250. Other programs show the correct exposure, just PBase has it wrong. Any idea what is happening? Thanks.

srijith

Re: Wrong exposure time in EXIF data?

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:16 am

the_photo_tuell wrote:I noticed on one of my pictures that the exposure time shown in the EXIF data on PBase is 1/1244 second, while the actual exposure was 1/1250. Other programs show the correct exposure, just PBase has it wrong. Any idea what is happening? Thanks.

If anyone can even try to help you, we need examples. Please read the sticky post of slug. Could you post an example URL of the image that is giving wrong EXIF here?

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:34 am

yes, would be useful to see the image in question.

from a technical point of view, the precision on those shutterspeeds is probably not as good as 0.001 so the difference between 1/1244 and 1/1250 is meaningless.
but from a practical point of view, the nominal "1/1250" is probably what should be displayed regardless of the real exposure time.
will look at the exif data to see if the error is in the camera's precision, or pbase's processing of what the camera said.

-slug

the_photo_tuell

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:41 am

Here's the one that I've noticed is a little off. Thanks for the help. Not very important if it can't be changed.

http://www.pbase.com/image/20107615

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:17 pm

the value that's actually in the exif data for exposure time is 0.000803592
which is 1/1244

1/1250 would be 0.0008000000

i notice some of your other photos have odd exposure times too.
maybe the G3 is reporting the actual exposure time which is slightly different from the setting on the camera, or maybe it's just wrong.

-slug

the_photo_tuell

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:55 pm

Ahhh, interesting. I didn't know the camera stored exposure time in decimal instead of fractions. Maybe I'll have to get one of those EXIF editing programs and fix it. Thanks again.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Wrong exposure time in EXIF data?