Board index PBase Questions and Answers Duplicate comments

Questions and Answers

Duplicate comments

Ask if you need help using PBase.
richo

Duplicate comments

Post Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:21 am

Just recently, my lonely galleries started getting lots of comments to images. But alas, many are duplicates. A user posts and then a duplicate is posted as "guest." My galleries were a bit let down when I explained this to them, but they are happy that after many months they at least got a few comments. My galleries always find a good side to everything.

akmc_in_au

Re: Duplicate comments

Post Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:42 am

richo wrote:Just recently, my lonely galleries started getting lots of comments to images. But alas, many are duplicates. A user posts and then a duplicate is posted as "guest." My galleries were a bit let down when I explained this to them, but they are happy that after many months they at least got a few comments. My galleries always find a good side to everything.

I've seen that before; not so much on mine (mine usually don't get that many either, though this HAS happened to me on the odd occasion) but on some others that I view. What it LOOKS like is that occasionally people (often the same person over time) will be logged out when they make the comment, then be logged in and the comment is re-posted. It's POSSIBLE that they're doing it manually but it doesn't look like it as I know that on occasion tyops (sic) have been replicated as well.

I know that in the forum if you take too long to finish your reply you'll get a notice about being logged out and that the system will try auto-logging you back in if you re-try your posting. That won't be EXACTLY the same because that is a separate module using the phpBB software, which is integrated with PBase's own credentials.

(Of course, PBase is still using a 2007 version of phpBB which has been out of support since Fred Flintstone died, and which hasn't been upgraded since former admin NoOutlet left fourteen years ago, but I digress. Actually that's probably as long as it'll take them to add the OM Systems OM-5 to the database but I suspect that the site will have imploded before that happens, and that the owners won't notice until a couple of years after it does.)

Aaaanyway... I still suspect that the post as guest => auto-login => repost as registered user shuffle is the most likely cause of that, but I could be wrong. It makes more sense than people re-typing their comments.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Duplicate comments