Board index PBase News Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

News

Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

td2

Re: Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 am

My .02¢

FYI
1) Firefox and Safari both display the thumbnails on the recent uploads page correctly (4 per line) however Crome Version 21.0.1180.55 beta does not. It puts three on the first line and one on the 2nd, three on the 3rd, 1 on the 4th etc....etc...

2) love the selectable number of thumbs per page on the recent uploads page , but it would be really nice if it remembered your preference instead of having to reselect each time you reload / return to the page.

3) love the arrow navigation of pages... if it worked to view photos within galleries as well that would be awesome, instead of using slide show or clicking "next"

Thanks
TD
2011 macbook pro, OS 10.8.

td2

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 am

td2 wrote:My .02¢

FYI
1) Firefox and Safari both display the thumbnails on the recent uploads page correctly (4 per line) however Crome Version 21.0.1180.55 beta does not. It puts three on the first line and one on the 2nd, three on the 3rd, 1 on the 4th etc....etc...

2) love the selectable number of thumbs per page on the recent uploads page , but it would be really nice if it remembered your preference instead of having to reselect each time you reload / return to the page.

3) love the arrow navigation of pages... if it worked to view photos within galleries as well that would be awesome, instead of using slide show or clicking "next"

Thanks
TD

Screen shot of Crome issue with display of thumbs.
http://www.pbase.com/td2/image/144988924

ac

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:30 am

Thank you waggonerphotos. You found the terms of service, the contract we paid for, the deal.
It has not been changed.
Now, we know the cheaters !!!

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:11 pm

If your gallery does not show up in the list, please let me know which gallery you uploaded to and what your uploading method was - new editor, old editor, phone, etc.

Thanks,
Emily

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:00 pm

td2 wrote:My .02¢

FYI

Thanks
TD

1) We will check out the Chrome issue. I know it's working fine with the current stable version of Chrome. If you make your window wider, are all 4 on one line?

2) We'll see what we can do about making that setting sticky.

3) Using arrow keys to navigate other pages is in the works. We wanted to introduce it in these pages first and make sure we didn't have any browser compatibility issues.

We have not yet updated the Terms of Service to reflect the recent adjustments, but we will be very soon.

Thanks,
Emily

claeson

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:51 pm

The monopolizing behaviour has never bothered me personally, it's easily ignored, didn't even know it was considered a problem.
Actually, I'm afraid these new rules will turn out to be counterproductive.
It's happened more than once that I've logged on, and totally unprepared discovered that there have been significant changes to the site.
I appreciate your effort to make Pbase more user friendly and up-to-date, generally. But when You're planning those major overhauls, wouldn't
it be possible to do it as a "test" to begin with, and just conduct a simple poll after a while? "Do You want this?" *Yes"- *No* - *Don't care*

helenpb

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:22 pm

So now I just posted a new image about 10 minutes ago. My gallery doesn't appear in the Recent Uploads (which appears to be about 45 minutes behind) and the image doesn't appear on my own personal uploads page. I'm positive it doesn't appear on the favorites page of my Pbase friends.

It looks like we're back where we started, i.e., this isn't working.

Is there going to be a fix for this situation or not? I'd really like to know so I can start making alternate plans if necessary.

denniswarren

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:24 am

Well I see the programers are back at it...I just opened the recent galleries page and there were two images in the 12 per page view...24 in the 24 per page, and 48 in the 48 per page view. I came to the forum to see if it had been mentioned and then went back to the 12 per page view in the recent galleries, and the are NO images...good job admin....I think I have just a few days left on my account now, so I will say goodbye.

mangoman

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:49 am

testing if I can post ...

mangoman

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:52 am

Earlier today it kept logging me out when I tried to post in the forum.

Anyway my Recent Uploads gallery pages (Firefox 10) show 3 thumbnails on a line followed by a line with 1 thumbnail, then 3,1,3,1...

fishit

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:52 am

merriwolf wrote:Emily, so with the new Recent Uploads arrangement, one account only shows once a day? Is that correct?

I am not trying to answer this for Emily, but I think from what I read you can upload the gallery you have as PAD as many as you want, but only one will show for 24 hours.
So if you are like me and some times upload mutable pictures a day after a period of not posting only one of mine will be in the stream of views.
Now that I read why, I want to express in my case it was not the case to spam the PAD, it just was to catch up to post one a day.
If anyone felt I was spamming please accept my apologies, it was not the intent and I did not fully realize till now it may be a issue.
The changes are not a issue with me since they seem fair and correct as to how the code should be set up,

powerandbeauty

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:06 am

I asked this question a few days ago and it wasn't answered...so I'll try again.... in the past, when I've added a new album I've started the album with 3 or 4 photos....a couple hours later I'll up load 3 or 4 more....a couple more hours 3 or 4 more again and so on until the album is finished. Is that what is considered monopolizing????

Also...How long between uploads do we need to wait to be sure we will show up in the Recent Uploads list? 2 hours? 4 hours? Longer?

sthuman

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:27 am

Just checked out the new recents, popular, PAD, etc on my iPad! They look great, more in tune with other recent format changes. They load way faster too. Very nice!

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:07 pm

mongo69 wrote:I asked this question a few days ago and it wasn't answered...so I'll try again.... in the past, when I've added a new album I've started the album with 3 or 4 photos....a couple hours later I'll up load 3 or 4 more....a couple more hours 3 or 4 more again and so on until the album is finished. Is that what is considered monopolizing????

Also...How long between uploads do we need to wait to be sure we will show up in the Recent Uploads list? 2 hours? 4 hours? Longer?

No, this is not considered monopolizing. You're just stretching out uploading new images, and that's fine.

Currently, the timeout per gallery is roughly 4 hours, but we are monitoring things and may tweak this as time goes by.

fishit wrote:
merriwolf wrote:Emily, so with the new Recent Uploads arrangement, one account only shows once a day? Is that correct?

I am not trying to answer this for Emily, but I think from what I read you can upload the gallery you have as PAD as many as you want, but only one will show for 24 hours.
So if you are like me and some times upload mutable pictures a day after a period of not posting only one of mine will be in the stream of views.
Now that I read why, I want to express in my case it was not the case to spam the PAD, it just was to catch up to post one a day.
If anyone felt I was spamming please accept my apologies, it was not the intent and I did not fully realize till now it may be a issue.
The changes are not a issue with me since they seem fair and correct as to how the code should be set up,

This was really more of an issue of people flagging a gallery as PaD without knowing what it is and then uploading to it all the time without necessarily realizing the effects.

Thanks,
Emily

helenpb

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm still a bit mystified by these new "rules" and the purpose and implementation of them. Once again I have a day off that I can devote to processing images. I see today that regardless of how many images I post, my gallery appears only once every four hours on the Recent Uploads page. Yesterday, it seemed more frequent than that, although I only was able to post images occasionally because of work. Is once every four hours really necessary or fair? Was this and its ramifications well thought out? I thought this was a photo sharing site, but I'm not sure how that can be if you are only allowed to "share" 6 times in a 24-hour period (part of which you presumably wouldn't be using to process photos anyway).

I really wasn't aware of whatever this abuse was that seems to have sparked this, but I assume there must have been a huge outcry from the majority of members to have caused such draconian measures. Once again I have to ask, isn't there some compromise or middle way here? Would it be considered abuse or monopolization of the Recent Uploads page if one gallery could appear once an hour, at a very minimum?

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD