Board index PBase News Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

News

Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

pstubley

Re: Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Emily says:

pstubley wrote:The PaD part on my "Home" view don't seem to be updating anymore: it seems to be frozen from sometime yesterday. Is that disconnected from the real PaD view (which does seem to be updating properly)? Or is this "user defective"? Thanks!!

We're working on getting this fixed.

Thanks! Can't ask for more than that ;)

Peter

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:34 am

The PaD section of the dashboard page is updating properly again. Thanks for your patience.

Emily

mistermax

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:52 am

Only one other person has complained that we no longer can get the list of 20 or 50 galleries, just the 18 photos. I hate the new system; please bring back the list of 50 galleries! - Max

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:08 am

mistermax wrote:Only one other person has complained that we no longer can get the list of 20 or 50 galleries, just the 18 photos. I hate the new system; please bring back the list of 50 galleries! - Max

Do you mind letting us know why you prefer the list?
Thanks,
Emily

ac

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:13 am

Emily
there are various people out there who delete and reupload the same images over and over (many times per day)

1. It is not fair. True.
2. PBase is not able to manage the problem.
3. PBase punishes all its clients to catch the unfair guy. Collective punishment, like in a classroom in the fifties.

But we are able to manage the problem. We stop viewing the galleries where there is never something new !
Simple.
Be fair and respectful with your clients. They are able to manage the problem.

ac

waggonerphotos

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:09 am

Emily:
First and foremost, I like the new look and functionality.
Just as a suggestion - would it be possible to just filter those accounts deleting an image, to prevent them from uploading another for a period of time.
Unless I'm mistaken you can upload a re-edited image to REPLACE an earlier version and this action will not appear on the recently updated page!
By restricting the appearance of multiple updated galleries you are in fact restricting access to some of our more prolific photographers, which really isn't
fair to them. By the way when I click on a photographer's name I am redirected to their homepage rather than their "Recent" page. I'm using FF 14.0.
Again, thanks for trying to improve things, we've still got the best GUI for photo sharing on the web :D
Bob Waggoner
Photographs comprise the communal memory of our times. (Unknown)

waggonerphotos

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:15 am

Emily:
Scratch that last part about being directed to the homepage, I am now being directed to their recent page. Problem fixed :D
Bob Waggoner
Photographs comprise the communal memory of our times. (Unknown)

wietsej

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:07 pm

I find the new situation a big improvement, specially that the uploads are more frequent. It is good to see more different photographers.
In popular galleries It is not possible any more to see 100 galleries together in stead of 12. There are many photographers with more galleries in the first 100. If you want to see other photographers this is now a lot of work.
I should prefer it when in stead of popular galleries there a list is of popular photographers. Also I should like it that in recent uploads you not see the different galleries but the latest uploads. If you then follow your favorietes you don't miss anything.

karld

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 pm

emily wrote:
mistermax wrote:Only one other person has complained that we no longer can get the list of 20 or 50 galleries, just the 18 photos. I hate the new system; please bring back the list of 50 galleries! - Max

Do you mind letting us know why you prefer the list?
Thanks,
Emily

I can't speak for Mistermax but personally I like the list option because it tells me what might be of interest to me rather than just one thumbnail. I was really used to just scanning quickly right down the list while browsing. Can't we have it all? I mean the format as it exists AND the list option?

karld

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Well I don't see an edit button so let me add more here. I guess I just process the written word as well, or even better perhaps, than a gallery of thumbnails. I find it easier to just speed down a list. Like I said previously it would be nice of we could just have it all. Unless of course it's some sort of programming cluster bomb. Doesn't seem to me like it would be though. Then again I'm no programmer either.

jyfoto

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:00 pm

merriwolf wrote:
Emily, so with the new Recent Uploads arrangement, one account only shows once a day? Is that correct?

No, currently one account can get moved up on the list many times per day (once every few hours).

I just discovered this time lag with the Recent Uploads gallery. I uploaded one photo to one of my galleries at 19:26 and then loaded another photo to another gallery 10 minutes later. Obviously with this new arrangement, that second photo did not appear in the Recent Uploads. So I deleted that file and loaded it again at 20:26. Again after an hour interval it didn't show in the Recent Uploads. I do not partake in the practice of uploading and deleting then re-uploading to stay in the top of the recent lists.

The current delay is somewhat frustrating as I would like my aperiodic posting of photos to show up for others to at least see and perhaps appreciate. We still see the updates from our personal "favorite photographers" list but this time constraint at the Recent Uploads certainly prevents being aware and seeing alot of interesting work that I've come to enjoy from the previous Recent Upload arrangement.

I hope there will be enough user reaction to revert to a more timely Recent Upload timing update.

rsbfotos

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:42 am

My two cents worth.

I DO NOT like this new "Recent Uploads" arrangement either.
Personally, the abuses of the old arrangement were never a bother to me.
I simply ignored them.
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:11 am

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for your input. We are reading your posts and taking all requests into consideration. We will continue to contemplate ways to handle the recent uploads page and will let you know of any changes.

Thanks,
Emily

mccartney

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:15 am

jyfoto wrote:
merriwolf wrote:
Emily, so with the new Recent Uploads arrangement, one account only shows once a day? Is that correct?

No, currently one account can get moved up on the list many times per day (once every few hours).

I just discovered this time lag with the Recent Uploads gallery. I uploaded one photo to one of my galleries at 19:26 and then loaded another photo to another gallery 10 minutes later. Obviously with this new arrangement, that second photo did not appear in the Recent Uploads. So I deleted that file and loaded it again at 20:26. Again after an hour interval it didn't show in the Recent Uploads. I do not partake in the practice of uploading and deleting then re-uploading to stay in the top of the recent lists.

The current delay is somewhat frustrating as I would like my aperiodic posting of photos to show up for others to at least see and perhaps appreciate. We still see the updates from our personal "favorite photographers" list but this time constraint at the Recent Uploads certainly prevents being aware and seeing alot of interesting work that I've come to enjoy from the previous Recent Upload arrangement.

I hope there will be enough user reaction to revert to a more timely Recent Upload timing update.

I agree - put it back the way it was. When I upload new photos to a gallery, I tend to prefer to upload them one at a time and add captions or titles as I do them (yes, sometimes I do a batch upload). I expect that anyone viewing the recent uploads list will see that I am uploading something new every few minutes. This way with the previous time lag, many of my new pics would appear on the recent list for others to have a look at.
PBase is a photo community - shouldn't we have the ability to let people know which pics we are posting?
Why are we suddenly worried that someone is constantly deleteing and reposting the same pics in order to stay on the list and get more hits? Who cares!
Barry McCartney Photography - http://www.pbase.com/mccartney

claeson

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:40 am

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD