Board index PBase News Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

News

Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

cbladon

Re: Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:49 pm

I'll be honest and admit to occasionally uploading photos in order to put a gallery (almost always a recently created one) onto the recent galleries page. The reason I do this is because once the gallery is created, it has maybe half an hour or so on the first few pages and then disappears for all eternity taking with it the liklehood of getting comments & views.

The recent galleries page is by far the best way of bringing people to my galleries, I don't have a relationship outside or on pbase with other members aside from a few favourites who I look at and a few regulars who comment on mine. The forum is practically worthless in this regard in my experience. Therefore I have half an hour where people may (but more likely) may not see the gallery. Obviously most people will not be interested or compelled to comment and that's fine, some of my galleries do get comments on though and so I want to show people who may have missed them now and again. It's not uncommon for this approach to bring comments, frankly I wouldn't bother if I did. If someone is compelled to comment then surely me bringing it to it's attention is a good thing?

I try carefully not to abuse this in the way I know some are doing with the same gallery over and over again, but like everyone said they are easily ignored. I apologise if I am one of these though I hope not.

Another potential problem that the new system creates is that popular galleries will stay on that list even longer now because fewer galleries are seen, meaning galleries are likely to remain in the popular section for longer where their status is re-enforced by being so accessible compared to new galleries. Is my logic correct??

I have long wished for the ability to categorise photos, I am mostly interested in travel & sport photos, others may be more interested in landscapes, models, animals, pad etc. Having the ability to categorise a gallery upon creation and then filter out the ones you are not interested in (in recent galleries) would I believe help people see the galleries most relevant to them. Is this possible?

I think to a large extent the changes you have made and then subsequent discussion will have served your purpose anyway by drawing attention to and debating what is obviously an important topic for many people. Either that or you've encouraged more people to do it!

Chris

1designguy

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:05 pm

ac wrote:1designguy
"I do appreciate the attempt at a solution to the pic whoring/monopolization"

It wasn't even a problem. Why should we have looked to galleries where there is no new shot ?
I just want the suppression of this collective punishment named "filter". Pure and simple.
Also trying new sites. Now.
ac

While I understand your point, I disagree in principle. Here is why... For those who frequent these metagalleries (recent, pad, popular, etc.) you are correct in your point that you can tell who is constantly deleting/posting/uploading older pics in order to remain exposed on the front page. The purpose of these metagalleries is an exposure tool. For the visitor or casual/infrequent user/viewer, this delineation is a little less clear.

We all "seek eyes" for our photography or we would not be posting them anywhere. I said I appreciate their (admins) effort/attempt at a solution because after so many years of complaints and grumblings they are at least doing something. Is it perfect? NO. Can it be improved? YES. Was the implementation calculated? It doesn't appear to have been (at least very thoroughly).

I made a tongue-in-cheek comment about "beta testing". In reality, it would have helped to root out some problems prior to full blown implementation. This is a community that cares and perhaps some good topical give-and-take in the forum would have better defined the parameters and aired concerns. I guess the "it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission" logic is at rule :cry:

powerandbeauty

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:34 pm

For what it's worth...

I just posted 4 new photos to a new album and everything worked perfectly. Within about a minute of the upload completing, the album showed up in The Recent Gallery's list.

I might also mention that in the past, when I've added a new album I've started the album with 3 or 4 photos....a couple hours later I'll up load 3 or 4 more....a couple more hours 3 or 4 more again and so on until the album is finished. Is that what is considered monopolizing????

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 am

Hey Guys,

The updates are now online. Recent Uploads is no longer limited to one listing per account. You may have multiple galleries in the list at a time. We also added some options to show 12, 24, or 48 images per page since some of you liked seeing more at once. To prevent abuse, there is still a limit on how frequently a gallery will get bumped up the list. The limits do allow a gallery to be listed more than once per day.

If you have set your account to allow NSFW content, NSFW flagged galleries will appear in the recent uploads for you.

Updates are still constant. Depending on the load on the server, it can be a few minutes after uploading before your gallery is added to the list.

Thanks,
Emily

mikelong

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:38 am

Emily, with all due respect, the problem is not yet solved. I've been uploading one-a-day for the past week and they have yet to appear in the Recent Uploads gallery.

ac

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:42 am

Emily
The limits do allow a gallery to be listed more than once per day.

The limits are too narrow for me. I'm still filtered with four uploads.

helenpb

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:07 pm

What exactly are the "limits" regarding how many times a gallery can appear on the Recent Uploads page in a day? I had a day off from work today so have been processing and uploading pictures since around 9 a.m. It seems the gallery appeared several times on the Recent Uploads page, then suddenly not at all since around noon my time, which was three hours ago. I fail to see how adding multiple images to a gallery over a period of six hours can be considered "abuse" and worth of the "punishment" of not appearing at least occasionally on the page. Isn't there some middle way here?

mikelong

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:42 pm

thanks Emily, my shots are now appearing in the Recent Uploads gallery - once per day is enough for me

ac

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:45 pm

A new upload, 5 or 6 hours after the previous one, doesn't appear on the "recent uploads" page !

mccartney

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:22 pm

helenpb wrote:What exactly are the "limits" regarding how many times a gallery can appear on the Recent Uploads page in a day? I had a day off from work today so have been processing and uploading pictures since around 9 a.m. It seems the gallery appeared several times on the Recent Uploads page, then suddenly not at all since around noon my time, which was three hours ago. I fail to see how adding multiple images to a gallery over a period of six hours can be considered "abuse" and worth of the "punishment" of not appearing at least occasionally on the page. Isn't there some middle way here?

My feeling exactly - let us share our photos unresricted with our fellow photographers!
Barry McCartney Photography - http://www.pbase.com/mccartney

ac

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Maybe there is no rule. Or not yet.
I think I can upload a group of 4 photos (in different galleries or not) every 12 hours.
But I completely agree with you mccartney, they must set us FREE, even the cheaters if they are nor able to catch them.

dokufoto

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Same here, I'm thrown out over and over again, i.e. my images do not appear on the recent upload page - even if I wait two or three hours between each try. At the same time there is one bloke right now with four different galleries among the 12 last uploads. Either do the filters work randomly or they are sofistically adjusted to let some meet open doors, others closed ones.

merriwolf

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 pm

dokufoto wrote:Same here, I'm thrown out over and over again, i.e. my images do not appear on the recent upload page - even if I wait two or three hours between each try. At the same time there is one bloke right now with four different galleries among the 12 last uploads. Either do the filters work randomly or they are sofistically adjusted to let some meet open doors, others closed ones.

If I read Emily's last comment correctly, you can upload to numerous galleries and they will all show up in Recent Uploads, but further uploads to those galleries won't appear again for several hours after that. I haven't timed the interval, but I'd guess 4 hours. One hour would be more reasonable. My last upload was off the first page of 12 in eight minutes.

waggonerphotos

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Gordon:
You read it correctly! It is demeaning to subscribers that the light of day can not shine on the exact penalty being imposed.
The best of our rank are still being denied access to the exposure they have paid for and I can find no change in the terms of service.
Bob Waggoner
Photographs comprise the communal memory of our times. (Unknown)

waggonerphotos

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:25 pm

The following is taken from the "Frequently Asked Questions" of the "Terms of Service" pages, which were in effect prior to these changes and which were in consideration for our subscription:
What is the Recently Updated Galleries page?
Recently Updated Galleries are galleries that have had new images added to them.
You must be a paying customer, and your gallery must contain at least four images for it to appear on the pages. The list is updated about every 15 minutes.
There are two viewing options on the page - list mode and thumbnails mode. You can choose whichever viewing option you like. View a list of gallery names and owners or see thumbnails for all of the galleries.

Why is my gallery not in the Recently Updated Gallery list?
In order for your gallery to show up on the updated gallery list, your gallery must contain recently added/ new images. If you reformatted or edited existing images in your gallery, your gallery will not show up on the list.
You must also be a paying customer, and your gallery must contain at least four images.
Bob Waggoner
Photographs comprise the communal memory of our times. (Unknown)

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD