Board index PBase News Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

News

Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

ronhrl

Re: Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:25 pm

The 12 images per page is an improvement from 8, but it was easy to change the 8 in the URL to 100, and get 100 images per page.
How do we do this now?

karld

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Hmm....maybe I missed it but isn't there an option to views galleries as a list anymore? I used to be able to view thumbnails OR list. I can't see the list link anymore.

claeson

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 am

Well, isn't that just great! As if my galleries hardly ain't visited already as it is...! :D

happypoppeye

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:09 am

Great job guys ...for a few years I had in the back of my mind that pbase was just going to, well, stay the same ...but the upgrades look great and although you can't please everyone, at least the changes show me that there are things going on behind the scenes to update, upgrade, keep the site going and make things better for everyone ...nice work.

bassrock

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:13 am

I understand limiting the PAD to one picture per account, after all it is meant to be one picture a day.

But why limit the normal views to only one per account. For example, I am back from holiday and have photos I might put into my landscape, macro and food galleries, but only one of these will now get listed in the recent gallery listing. That is not monopolising PBase, it is realistic use of the site. This new change doesn't make much sense to me.

tddunn

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 am

bassrock wrote:I understand limiting the PAD to one picture per account, after all it is meant to be one picture a day.

But why limit the normal views to only one per account. For example, I am back from holiday and have photos I might put into my landscape, macro and food galleries, but only one of these will now get listed in the recent gallery listing. That is not monopolising PBase, it is realistic use of the site. This new change doesn't make much sense to me.

Agree here. Often I end up with photos that I want to classify a specific way.

antorug

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:43 pm

merriwolf

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Emily, so with the new Recent Uploads arrangement, one account only shows once a day? Is that correct?

pstubley

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:27 pm

The PaD part on my "Home" view don't seem to be updating anymore: it seems to be frozen from sometime yesterday. Is that disconnected from the real PaD view (which does seem to be updating properly)? Or is this "user defective"? Thanks!!

ac

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:52 pm

No more movement, or very slow, in the "galleries" panel.

tddunn

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm not sure I understand or appreciate the intent to keep things equally distributed: if you will, a fair distribution of the Pbase wealth - with frequent posters sharing their page space with those less fortunate. I very much enjoy seeing the updates from active photographers such as Merriwolf and this recent change brings less visibility to these photographers considerable work. The work and quality produced should allow for updates whenever the hard working photographer wants them. Also, imagine that some are using Pbase for multiple channels either as enthusiasts or in support of commercial ventures. Doesn't this change impede the publication and communication of their craft to their audience? I know we can always send links of specific galleries to those who are interested in our work or have engaged us commercially. However, in many cases I fail to accurately predict who might view my work on the off-chance. Having the ability to update recent photos in as many galleries, for as many constituents, as frequently as necessary is what I would prefer be allowed to occur. Is Pbase "view space" such a limited resource that we need to ration it so strictly? I believe the best solution is to let it be. I can see the folks who post the same galleries everyday. Every now and again, if I like the gallery, I will check to see if any new updates are posted, if not - I just pass them by. I'd rather have to do this, than miss out on the quality of many of the regular updaters on Pbase.

Just my two cents.

tddunn

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Emily, I am very please with the other changes that have been made, by the way! I just would like you guys to reconsider the change to timing of recent uploads.

denniswarren

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 pm

I haven't seen an admin response to the last 13 entries here...perhaps that in itself is the reponse??? Take it or leave it...I have chosen to leave it It has been a rocky almost eight years, and I have had enough. There are other sites out there to host photos.

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:19 pm

pstubley wrote:The PaD part on my "Home" view don't seem to be updating anymore: it seems to be frozen from sometime yesterday. Is that disconnected from the real PaD view (which does seem to be updating properly)? Or is this "user defective"? Thanks!!

We're working on getting this fixed.

merriwolf wrote:Emily, so with the new Recent Uploads arrangement, one account only shows once a day? Is that correct?

No, currently one account can get moved up on the list many times per day (once every few hours).

ronhrl wrote:The 12 images per page is an improvement from 8, but it was easy to change the 8 in the URL to 100, and get 100 images per page.
How do we do this now?

12 images per page is currently the only option, but loading the next page should be faster now and easier with the arrow keys.

Many of you are concerned about the limits on the recent uploads page. We fully understand your concerns. However, we are also aware that there are various people out there who delete and reupload the same images over and over (many times per day) to stay at the top of the recent uploads list. Other customers have noticed this as well and have asked for a solution because that behavior is unfair to the rest of you who are uploading new photos when you have them. We really want to find the best solution that is fair to everybody. We will continue to monitor the current system and consider other options. Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Emily

mccartney

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:42 pm

emily wrote:Many of you are concerned about the limits on the recent uploads page. We fully understand your concerns. However, we are also aware that there are various people out there who delete and reupload the same images over and over (many times per day) to stay at the top of the recent uploads list. Other customers have noticed this as well and have asked for a solution because that behavior is unfair to the rest of you who are uploading new photos when you have them. We really want to find the best solution that is fair to everybody. We will continue to monitor the current system and consider other options. Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Emily

Emily, I don't mind if some members like to play games in order to keep their pics at the top of the recent list. I personally usually upload my vacation pics one at a time as I finish editing them. Anyone seeing a new image of mine on the recent uploads list then has the option to have a look or not. I think most of us that frequent the recent uploads list have got a pretty good idea of who the offenders are (ones who frequntly delete and reupload), so we just ignore looking at their gallery.
Just another comment - Because, my editing skills improve over time, I sometimes decide to reedit the images in a whole gallery, I have been known to delete and then upload the reedited versions. In my opinion, that is a completely valid scenario to upload the same edited images and yes, they will once again appear on the recent uploads list.
So, I would like to see that each individual image that I upload in a day, apprear on the recent uploads list, just as it did before. After all the idea of the PBase community is to share your work with others, not hide it from them.

Thank you,
Barry
Barry McCartney Photography - http://www.pbase.com/mccartney

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Updates to Public Pages - Recent, Popular, Random, PaD