Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management

News

Dashboard and Comment Management

vincebelford

Re: Dashboard and Comment Management

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:15 pm

leelafont wrote:Hi people: you might be interested in another photosite; it's called Redbubble. Very professional site; high caliber of photos and photographers. It has a number of advantages over Pbase; they accept many kinds of art; prints, drawings, photos,etc. Also writing, and t-shirts, and magnets, etc. And they package and sell your work if somone wishes to by. Check it out; Lee

this is a good post but ot for sure...it is interesting but redbubble is a whole nother genre with different goals from pbase. pbase with all its flaws is the first and still best social photography network. i have a flickr and smug-mug account and they are both great but do different things the thread here is how to make pbase better

vincebelford

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:41 pm

leelafont wrote:Pbase: You made a big mistake with this Dashboard thing. Members recognize it and told you so. Will you have guts enough to just admit that it was a bad idea and fix it??? Just go back to the way it was without the Dashboard???

Right on the money. There are lots of critiques about how this system is unwieldy and redundant and you insist on giving us kludges to get around the glaring problems created. Old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" Please unfix it.

lwh

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:05 pm

I do no like "Dashboard and Comment Management".
Please remove it NOW.

I do not want someone else photo on my website.

When I sign in I want to go to my Start Page.

Lewis

PS I am very unhappy about this crap.

phillipn

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:48 pm

Hmm - I can't believe the vitriol and general rudeness of some of the posts here. Some people should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves!

I like the Dashboard - and I think it makes a lot of sense to separate the working parts from your 'profile', which should be simply a page about 'you' for visitors to see, not a control panel.
I particularly like having the recent PaD items on there - I don't check the recent PaD metagallery very often, this makes it easier and more accessible. The evil dictator in me would want to see it go back to being mandatory if you have a gallery flagged as a PaD gallery - it might solve a lot of angst :wink:

Things (possibly - I don't use most of them) missing from the Dashboard...

* 'Remove Portrait' picture link.
    * 'Recent Galleries' - this could go in brackets after the existing 'Galleries' link.
    * 'View Guestbook'
    * 'Upload to Inbox' - I know there's a link to the new drag/drop, but I suspect some people like to use the link on the old profile page to upload directly to their 'inbox', from where they can shuffle things around later.
    * 'New Gallery' - creates a new gallery at root level I think.

Things I'd like to see...
    * Pmail - Change the current wording for when you have no PMails to something similar to the old profile page - so 'You have no unread messages'. Makes it easier to see when you have mail. And/Or - change the colour of the link if you have unread mail.
    * Comments - if possible - a count of the number of new comments since your last visit to the page. Not sure about that one actually... maybe dynamically change the number of comments shown depending on how many are new since your last visit (with a limit to stop it getting silly).
    * Current PaD gallery - a link to what you have flagged as your PaD gallery - and possibly a link to change it, or remove the PaD flag.

Other stuff:
Speaking of PMails... these seem extremely slow of late - probably my fault for never having deleted any :D A speed-up would be good though - and a nice easy way to tidy up.
Finally - the 'home' link from PBase Maps still points back to the profile page, not the dashboard.

Anyway - I like it - keep it up :D

yardbird

Thank you!

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:06 pm

To say it again, Thank you for working to improve Pbase. I like the Dashboard page. Definitely not the slickest (check out how Facebook loads on the HP Touchpad - Yes I bought one for $99!) but I like it. It gives me useful information at a glance.

I find it amusing that people complain so much and think they can dictate how Pbase should be run. It is great that Pbase even has a forum where we can ask for features - politely, but I can't expect the company to design a photo site according to just my liking. I don't see people asking Google to change Picasa, Yahoo to change Flickr or Facebook to change their site. All are horrible!

I now have a great HOME page (yes, i think calling the Dashboard Home is fine) and my visitors continue to have 2 different pages to start from.

MY Profile - which I have customized - http://www.pbase.com/yardbird/profile
MY Galleries - which I have customized again - http://www.pbase.com/yardbird

No other website gives me this much flexibility in letting me share my pages the way I want.

Thanks Pbase team and don't let the negative comments bother you. We don't run the company, you do. Of course I would love to consult with you if you need additional help. :)
Karthik

fayewhite

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:25 pm

vincebelford wrote:
leelafont wrote:Hi people: you might be interested in another photosite; it's called Redbubble. Very professional site; high caliber of photos and photographers. It has a number of advantages over Pbase; they accept many kinds of art; prints, drawings, photos,etc. Also writing, and t-shirts, and magnets, etc. And they package and sell your work if somone wishes to by. Check it out; Lee

Redbubble doesn't protect your images... had one of mine ripped off (at least one)

abrazo

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:39 pm

mikelong wrote:
crs_photo wrote:What a load of crap!!!

So. now I have to get forced to this turkey and then click on profile to see the things that matter to me. Again, what a stupid, ugly load of crap. Don't you guys have any concept of good programming/user interface?????

Let me go to the profile. So other users go to the Dashboard - great. Means nothing to me. At least, be intelligent enough to give me the option to get to something useful, instead of forcing me to this crap.

Woah dude, get a life. At least go out and shoot some photos and shut the F**k up.

Please may I second that?! ......... people don't be so quick to criticise, it's only the beginning of improvements and I expect there will be more to come and I'm sure that no one is forcing anyone to use PBase.

andrys

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:17 pm

emily wrote:
m4 wrote:If I want to see more than a few most recent comments, it now takes me 2 clicks instead of 1.

The dashboard shows your 2 most recent comments. To get to the comment management page for a full listing, you need only click the "View all #### comments" link above those 2 comments or the "Comments: ####" link on the left side navigation.

I hope this helps.
-Emily

Emily,
I like the speed of loading any of these now w/o waiting for humongous calculations, and I think it'll be easier for newcomers.

However, while it's really "the cool thing" not to have underline links, most heavily-traffic'd websites still use them because most people still don't know that a colored or plain-color text line in a different color from basic text may be a LINK, so people don't know that they can click on the Favorites or Comments to see an entire pageful of them.

Just Underline one word and people will be less puzzled. Since the style sheets don't allow this, I force these when wanted,
with the html Underline "u'" . It still happens -- if I don't underline a link, it's almost never clicked. When I underline one
word in the phrase, then it gets lots of clicks...

Glad to see you folks are working so hard on all this. There must be a goal here?

Will you someday maybe make it possible to use Arjun's utility that allowed us to back up our photo pages?
Maybe allow it to be done once a month so that it doesn't slow down servers?

Again, I like many of the changes.

- Andrys

andrys

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Emily,

I like that the full Favorites page that's linked and clickable looks pretty much the same.

One request.
There used to be boxes to the left of the Comments for each pic. I have long wanted a way to be able to
click on many or all on a page and do one Delete -- OR -- click on many non-sequential ones and make them public
as I do approvals for showing. Is that possible someday?

Navigation-wise, this is really easier for a new person to see what is possible and where to find it.

andrys

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 pm

mardoli wrote:
emily wrote: This is the first step in turning the profile page into the page where you tell visitors who you are.

This sentence in the kind Emily’s message is a bit worrying for me…
It sound like a promise ( or a menace) to change drastically also our profile page in future to transform it in a standard and compulsory one with the same features and appearance of the present dashboard.
Many people, like me, have worked on their profile page to personalize its appearance and layout and we seem to be all happy with this possibility and with the results we have achieved.
I –like others – have passed over the little knowledge necessary to do it and many PBase members have enjoyed to be able to have a profile page basically sober but with the colours and the fonts of their liking.
Please, Emily, leave at least our profile page the way it is!
Thanks
Marisa

Marisa,
Nice job on your Profiel page !

andrys

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 pm

We can't Edit our replies?

Marisa, sorry, I misspelled 'Profile' page... :-)

imorozoff

Re: Comment management A BIG JUMP IN THE PAST

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:50 am

photodelles wrote:... but for the design, it seems a big jump in the past, in the early days of the Internet when the developers did not have at their disposal the powerful today software! It's really not beautiful, the characters are pale, big ugly purple bands, it is difficult to distinguish whether the comment was made on the gallery or a photo ...... All that is unreadable...

Tonight is the first time I've seen this new page and my first impression was HURL!
It looks like it was mashed together with very little regard to proper and modern GUI design.

fishit

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:59 am

fayewhite wrote:
vincebelford wrote:

Redbubble doesn't protect your images... had one of mine ripped off (at least one)

No where seems bullet proof, all can do is make it harder.

oochappan

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:37 am

- 3 à 4 ain't enough to be useful to me (maybe double would) ... still travelling to full listings

- with some dropdown menus in my personal view of the profile to reach straight all the links,
I wouldn't need a limited dashboard

- don't mind about the dashboard layout as visitors can't see, owners might have their fun too, no ?
but
what about the degraded layout of the guestbook, all visitors can see that !

- please let HOME bring me to my profile again, noticing it cost me more clicks, still going there first,
the dashboard is quite imposive if you don't use it that much.

christopheru

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:32 am

From the "stats" page (aggregate daily views for...) the home button on the top goes to the profile page, not the dashboard. The other links work ok.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management