Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management

News

Dashboard and Comment Management

mikelong

Re: Dashboard and Comment Management

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:03 am

oochappan wrote:Creating choices enriches a site, adaptable to personal preferences, like the new editing page, welcomed by the majority,
imposing choices is an impoverishing policy that you see lately with the social network links (FB, Google ...) and now with the dashboard ... (and profile maybe)

Denying stubborn cons and maintaining an imposing policy ,
limiting choices in stead of enlarging choices,
provokes only negativity, I don't believe that is the aim.

I agree, totally. Unfortunately, pbase never fully solved the technical issues of past years - site slowness, stats not appearing, periodic crashes, etc, etc, which have
been well-documented here in Forums and all over the internet as well. And so this dashboard is really putting the cart before the horse - it's inevitable that it'll lead
to even more technical issues since it's one thing to write code and implement new features, and quite another to make them function correctly, efficiently
and in tandem with existing features.

I've always wondered why my free Flickr site, my "pro" site - any other sites where I post photos - function normally while pbase has consistently had problems.
A simple question to ask but never once has pbase responded with a forthright, substantive response that was anything but evasive.

But hey, we've got a new dashboard!

bobfloyd

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:31 pm

ianbell wrote:I am going to repeat what I said on page 1 and what most of the posters have said since - it doesn't work. When will Pbase take note of these complaints and revert to what everyone appeared to be happier with. Thank you.

As an IT professional I can tell you that complaints of "it doesn't work" won't get you very far. Substance is of some importance here. You need to tell developers why something doesn't work for you, and be as specific as possible, rather than just say "it doesn't work". That statement alone is much more likely to get you ignored.

subratabasu

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:38 pm

How do I know when my subscription is up?????

sbbish

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:46 am

subratabasu wrote:How do I know when my subscription is up?????

On your Dashboard, on the left, there is a link that says "Status: xx months"

ianbell

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:05 am

bobfloyd wrote:
ianbell wrote:I am going to repeat what I said on page 1 and what most of the posters have said since - it doesn't work. When will Pbase take note of these complaints and revert to what everyone appeared to be happier with. Thank you.

As an IT professional I can tell you that complaints of "it doesn't work" won't get you very far. Substance is of some importance here. You need to tell developers why something doesn't work for you, and be as specific as possible, rather than just say "it doesn't work". That statement alone is much more likely to get you ignored.

Bob

If you took the time to read my initial post you would see my explanation on why it doesn't work for me.

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:22 pm

As requested, we have added a link to your recent galleries on the dashboard. In the side navigation section, you can click My Galleries to get to your root gallery, or (recent) to get to your recent galleries.

Enjoy!
-Emily

oochappan

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks for adjusting the Social sharing buttons now even manageable in your account settings, see News > Social Sharing Buttons

oochappan

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:15 am

Wishing for
- a personal link to dashboard in my profile and home leading to my profile, that would be less imposing.
- extending 3 à 4 per section in dashboard settings, if selecting only contacts now, you get only a poor 4 thumb links
- extending usergroups to slect them alike comments
- simplifying comments layout, no need for fuzzy layouts in a dashboard as it's a personal work doc

jkrnm5

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:10 am

Very appealing enhancement to Pbase. As infrequently as I find the time to view comments on my photography, I miss the ability to easily know when I've replied back to someone (even less frequently unfortunately) while having an indication that I've done so. A change in the color of the reply icon on the new page as a possible solution?

enjayel

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:45 pm

jkrnm5 wrote:Very appealing enhancement to Pbase. As infrequently as I find the time to view comments on my photography, I miss the ability to easily know when I've replied back to someone (even less frequently unfortunately) while having an indication that I've done so. A change in the color of the reply icon on the new page as a possible solution?

it does change colour, the "PM reply" icon becomes grayed out... it is a subtle change, but I expect it shouldn't take long to train the eye to see it..

claeson

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Well, I can't see any difference at all. Would be much better if it changed completely to another colour.
As I've said earlier; green would be great. :mrgreen:

readschaad

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:55 pm

bobfloyd wrote:

The best message to send to the "developers" is a cancellation of your membership or simply not renewing the membership when it comes due. I have noticed a real decline in the overall quality of work on PBase since joining in '06 and a large number of high achieving photographers have left. You can draw whatever conclusions you want from that but I suspect that in the past people have left due to the "voting" thing. However, these "developer driven" changes are not helping.

I am not impressed with the changes either. They give me a headache. Not sure that the changes are so intolerable that I will leave but we will see in eight months (or maybe sooner). My"work around" has been to set my bookmarks to the pages I want to go to and try to avoid using the PBase links to those ugly new pages.

Fred

P.S. Perhaps, a prerequisite for being a "developer" on PBase should be that you MUST be a photographer too. :D

bobfriedman

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:16 pm

i wish "home" pointed to "profile" instead of "dashboard" which provides less information and is of little use to me.

enjayel

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:12 pm

claeson wrote:Well, I can't see any difference at all. Would be much better if it changed completely to another colour.
As I've said earlier; green would be great. :mrgreen:

may have just found another bug - it seems the graying out may be dependent on cache - I'm on another computer at the moment, and only comments that I've pmailed from this computer are grayed out... I'll drop a note to Emily et al...

n

fremiet

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Nice!

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management