Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management

News

Dashboard and Comment Management

jypsee

Re: Dashboard and Comment Management

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:12 pm

I have to wonder who this dashboard is for? Who sees it? I like the look of it (sorta), but WTF am I supposed to do with it? All the stuff related to me just goes around in circles.

Karen: if you click the picture you go to the photos page and can click on the person who commented; if your comment is for a gallery then you can click the title of the gallery and go to the comments for that gallery.

mardoli

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:29 pm

akmc_in_au wrote:
emily wrote:If there are things about the dashboard that you would like to be able to customize or that you miss, please let us know what they are so we can know exactly what you have in mind.

The things that immediately come to my mind are:
(a) A checkbox list of your user groups so you can choose which ones do (or don't) appear on your dashboard.

(b) Similarly, a checkbox list of:
- PAD galleries;
- Recent Galleries;
- The various Popular galleries
so that you can again choose which ones appear on your dashboard;

(c) Whether or not to display the user's portrait thumbnail over the images that appear in on the dashboard. Some of the images end up sitting over the portrait. To give an example, Marisa's in my favourites list. Right now, the last image that she uploaded had a cat in the bottom right corner of the image, right where her portrait thumbnail is. As a result the cat appears to be sitting over her face. It's not a good look (sorry Marisa), and makes the presence of the portrait thumbnail pointless anyway since you can't see most of it. The only ones that I can see the full portrait of are ones where the most recent image was also portrait oriented.

(d) The number of images to display for each gallery / user group selected on the dashboard.

(e) The number of recent comments to display.

I'm sure others will have other ideas...

Thank you, Alan, you have answered perfectly also for me…and yes, it’s embarrassing to have a cat sitting on my face ;^))
Well these little pictures are exactly the most disturbing new features; they are only confusing and have not any practical interest, just useless.
Let’s hope it’s only a test…
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

fayewhite

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:29 pm

All these nitpicking complaints are why I no longer run a photo contest site... sheesh. Good luck Emily!

alpiner

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:44 pm

I too don't really see the point of the Dashboard.....it only has functions that are easily accessible from profile page. I felt similarly about the new gallery edit page, except for the new click & drag function which is useful. The new comments pages are mostly cosmetic changes....I would like an option to delete a whole page of comments. I agree with Photodelles......additional new stylesheets would be so welcome...can't believe that no extra ones have been added for all these years.
Anyway I shall just click straightaway to my profile page.

photodelles

Comment management A BIG JUMP IN THE PAST

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry to say that, but for the design, it seems a big jump in the past, in the early days of the Internet when the developers did not have at their disposal the powerful today software! It's really not beautiful, the characters are pale, big ugly purple bands, it is difficult to distinguish whether the comment was made on the gallery or a photo ......

All that is unreadable, give us the possibility to choose the old version who was much more sober, but also much more readable.

Thank you in advance.

Stephan

storystone

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:56 pm

I liked things the way they were. I don't like suddenly landing in a new environment and wondering, "What's is wrong with my system now?" Would have preferred a more collaborative environment for change, preferably with a beta test site that could collect user comments and needs before going operational. Is it possible to give users a way to chose their options? Maybe between this new version or the previous version. And if you are going to continue to make changes, a well-announced beta test location would give you feedback to keep a larger percentage of users happy. And help make the site even more customer focused.

rtwo

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:39 pm

With all due respect to the improvements. My longtime concern/issue is speed of uploading and making comments. This varies widely, and often is almost impossible to upload.
Robin Reid
"Lets snap to it" <grin>

bobfriedman

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:09 am

for my purposes there was more information on the old profile page... and i would prefer to see a return to the previous version.

mike_holland

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:12 am

john_cooper wrote:I dont like the new system at all.
Do I have a choice ?.
Can I go back to how it was ?.

+1

I don't really want to look at pictures done by people that I don't know (I'm talking about the pics at the bottom of the new page). What is the point in that? Please, tell me how to get my old page back. Thanks!

Mike

akmc_in_au

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:20 am

mike_holland wrote:
Do I have a choice ?.

+1

I don't really want to look at pictures done by people that I don't know (I'm talking about the pics at the bottom of the new page). What is the point in that?

To learn from them? (No sarcasm intended, but that's often the reason... well, that and just getting to see the world through other eyes.)

mike_holland wrote:Please, tell me how to get my old page back. Thanks!

Mike

In the bar running down the left side of the dashboard, click on "Profile". That will take you back to your "old style" home page.

akmc_in_au

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:23 am

akmc_in_au wrote:
mike_holland wrote:
Do I have a choice ?.

+1

Please, tell me how to get my old page back. Thanks!

In the bar running down the left side of the dashboard, click on "Profile". That will take you back to your "old style" home page.

Also, I just noticed that the Home tab from the forum still takes you to the old style page. (On most other pages on the site it takes you to the dashboard, but the forum's Home link still goes to the old one. That may not last, however.)

porcel

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:32 am

I don't care for it. It's too jumbled and not what I would call a "clean look"....oh well.

lesliec

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:37 am

If this were a photograph I'd say it's missing a composition of any substance. I wouldn't even say "nice capture".
Frankly, this page looks like it was created in the very early days of photo hosting sites

I've looked at this a couple of times today and I think it is a step back rather than forward. There is nothing
that ties it together other than the default Pbase colors. The squares of pictures are annoying as they don't
seem to take you on a path, but rather drag your eye across the page following the blue Pbase bar. You end
up looking back and forth and all around...it's planted right smack in the middle of the page like a
disembodied bullseye. The original profile page was easy to follow the links, it was a good place
to have non Pbasers land and get a sampling of your pictures. If I want to see my "Favorites" I'll click on the link.

I'd rather see more effort put into customizing the Profile Page to our liking.

mike_holland

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:18 am

akmc_in_au wrote:

Great, thanks!

Mike

m4

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:28 am

mike_holland wrote:
akmc_in_au wrote:

Great, thanks!

Mike

See, this is exactly what I think is the problem with the new design. No offence intended to you, Mike, or to akmc_inau, but a customer shouldn't have to struggle to find a workaround to a bad page or site design. If the design was good, it would be obvious to all users/customers (pretty much as the old one was). As I suggested earlier, one of the two golden rules of interface design is "If you have to tell someone how it works, it doesn't". (The other is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".) I really have to wonder if this dashboard came about as a result of customer demand or as a result of someone sitting around saying "we need to do something to prove we're on the ball". In other words, change for the sake of change.

I'd rather they fixed the problem with my galleries, which won't let me password protect them. <sigh>

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management