Re: Dashboard and Comment Management

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:42 am

To remind, this forum is about:

Dashboard and Comment Management

- for those who like it, it's a pleasant extra feature

- for those who don't like it, everybody can understand it's quite imposing,
home becoming dashboard, it could have been more discrete, less provocative

- for those who redesigned their profile page,
it is understandable they worry about losing all the effort for their new layout

matter of usefulness it doesn't enlarge existing links that much,
it rather limits to look only at last 3 à 4 as if the rest is non-existent

matter of layout it's subjective but at least you can notice less discrete then a 'New editing' page

mikelong

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:49 am

bobfloyd wrote:If you aren't happy, that is fine. You have the right to express that fact but please do so with some curtsy.

Personally, I will never curtsy for anyone - not even the queen of England. Courtesy, however, could be something worth looking into...

http://www.mikelongphotos.com

oochappan

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:28 am

to come back again to dashboard + comments
in spite of all the good things Pbase offers way beyond other photo sites as portfolio
all members here know that Pbase on organizational level is zero compared to many other photo-sites,

members are in need to organize more (in stead of less) in an easy way:
- looking up tags/keywords in own/everybody’s photo stream to create personal folders and user groups
- drag and drop enlarged user groups listings going way beyond contacts, favorites ... up to countries, towns, subjects
- in a personal dashboard you don't need an exaggerated layout, it must be simple and practical
- and the list can go on, step by step

The ‘new editing’ page is discrete and enlarging the possibilities, the dashboard not at all.

lwh

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Please remove Dashboard and Comment Management
from my login page.
I do not want to see somrbody's stupid pet or child photo.

Lewis

ice_lady

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Clutter, clutter, clutter. Not for me, no sir.

bobfloyd

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:42 pm

mikelong wrote:
bobfloyd wrote:If you aren't happy, that is fine. You have the right to express that fact but please do so with some curtsy.

Personally, I will never curtsy for anyone - not even the queen of England. Courtesy, however, could be something worth looking into...

http://www.mikelongphotos.com

Point, Mike. :) Spelling is obviously not my strong suit. Thanks for the correction.

bobfloyd

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Alright, after playing with it for a few days, the only thing I miss from my Profile page is the link to my recently update galleries. I wish I had that somewhere on the Dashboard, maybe on left hand side somewhere below "My Galleries" or as an option to add to the display where my favorites and PAD now show. Just a thought.

mikelong

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:08 pm

No problem, Bob - your great photos more than make up for your spelling! Anyway, I couldn't resist...

By the way, my concern with this new dashboard - which doesn't bother me now after several days - is that in the long run it's going to cause more technical
issues/problems than it's worth - how I don't specifically know since I'm not a tech, but I now keep receiving this message whenever I log in and try to post in Forums:

Fatal error:./cache/is NOT writable.in/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/includes/acm/acm_file.php on line 103

This message began the same day the dashboard was implemented. Coincidence?

trinko

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:44 pm

I prefer the old home page. The new page would be better if it had a link to recent gallaries.

milv

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:51 pm

trinko wrote:I prefer the old home page. The new page would be better if it had a link to recent gallaries.

Agree. I miss recent galleries. And bdw, I not need PAD, this should be optional!

bobfloyd

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:44 pm

milv wrote:Agree. I miss recent galleries. And bdw, I not need PAD, this should be optional!

It is optional. Got to "Dashboard (settings)" on the left side of the screen. On that settings screen there is Yes/No option for displaying the PAD gallery. You can turn it off by selection "No".

anuschka

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:41 pm

I do not like the new Dashboard and Comment Management.
I do not like to be forced into something I don't like.
If it gets out of hand my solution shall be to leave Pbase, however sad it would make me.
Anuschka

ianbell

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

I am going to repeat what I said on page 1 and what most of the posters have said since - it doesn't work. When will Pbase take note of these complaints and revert to what everyone appeared to be happier with. Thank you.

jamcrky

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Being that this is some how connected with my profile, would this affect me not being able to upload a zip file from sunday night and still cant upload ....? I have been using PBase for many years and have never experienced any problems uploading files thanks Jim

oochappan

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:06 am

Creating choices enriches a site, adaptable to personal preferences, like the new editing page, welcomed by the majority,
imposing choices is an impoverishing policy that you see lately with the social network links (FB, Google ...) and now with the dashboard ... (and profile maybe)

Denying stubborn cons and maintaining an imposing policy ,
limiting choices in stead of enlarging choices,
provokes only negativity, I don't believe that is the aim.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management