Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management

News

Dashboard and Comment Management

akmc_in_au

Re: Dashboard and Comment Management

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 am

waggonerphotos wrote:I really do not believe that Emily or anyone else at Pbase cares about the opinion or desires of their Subscribers!
If we are going to imitate social networking sites or those which are predominated by camera phones, why not create a site for just those users!
At this point I can find nothing on the "Dashboard" that is not a replication of the features on the long standing Profile Page!

Actually, I'm finding that there is one thing, though this is just personal to me (and most likely some others)... when I go to my home page I normally jump straight to my favourites anyway. Having those on the dashboard saves me a step. It's not all good, but it's not all bad either, and at least they're listening to people who raise issues.

oochappan

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:53 am

It took some time to handle the limiting CSS to get some unified design throughout my whole Pbase presentation,
removing even the superflu links and compacting my profile page, focussing on the message as intro .

Now I see a dashboard with total other design in comments different from the guestbook layout, less readable,
a dashboard with a summery or repetition of already existing links, tassed together in a curious layout.

It doesn't feel like an improvement while other issues are far more urgent and wanted,
thinking at speed, an easier way to handle CSS wisy-wise alike the drag and drop in the new edit page,
a new feature of RECENT PHOTOS on top on the recent galleries to support pad in a better way (now many use pad as recent),
... I thought the requests in the forums were a good guideline ?

I too admit that I use the new edit page almost exclusive to drag and drop to order things, the rest I prefer to do the old way.

skhin

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:54 am

I find the DCM refreshing. It's not all changed so that there are familiar landmarks! Great job Pbase team!

pinemikey

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:05 am

Hilarious. I guess I can't win for losing when people are pissed off and the easiest target is someone you percieve to be the "enemy". Geez, I just got home from a long day at work, had a quick look and saw it was ok...considering it only affects our own view not visitors and you bite my head off. This is Pbase so you don't need to be a forum attack dog here.

akmc_in_au

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:16 am

pinemikey wrote:Hilarious. I guess I can't win for losing when people are pissed off and the easiest target is someone you percieve to be the "enemy".

I don't perceive you to be "the enemy", I perceive you to be someone who won't brook any criticism or questioning of PBase, valid or not. Some people don't like the change. Some people don't like certain aspects of it. They have their reasons. That doesn't make them whingers or whiners or haterz or to be chuckled at with derision because they're never satisfied.

As long as people don't try to shut them down from saying what they don't like and better still why they don't like it, it's entirely possible that the end result will be something better than was originally created.

Unquestioning devotion really doesn't help in that respect, though specifics about which parts of the change work for people are probably as useful as specifics about which parts aren't.

edkowalski

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 am

edkowalski wrote:
emily wrote:
edkowalski wrote:Sorry, I don't like the new Comments record page.
First of all, the thumbnail pics cover and obscure obscure much of the comment text.
Second of all, I don't know whether the comments are attached to an individual image, or to the entore Gallery.
And third, I accidentally clicked on a control which made one of the comments "Private" rather than for-all-to-see.... and now, I can't find a way to undo my action!
Thanks, edmund j. kowalski

The thumbnails should not be covering any text. Please let us know what OS and browser (including version) you are using so we can investigate.

Image titles are listed as Title . Gallery titles are listed as ::Title:: .

There is no way for you to make a comment Private or non-Private. That is done by the commenter at the time of leaving the comment. You can make comments public/non-public, and it can be easily switched again at any time.

I hope this helps.
-Emily

Emily,
The thumbnails do still partially obscure the text of comments in the Dashboard.
I am running Windows XP Home with AOL Desktop 9.6 as my Browser.
I accidentally (in Dashboard) clicked to make one of the comments non-public. I cannot get it to toggle back to public.
Thank you,
edkowalski

enjayel

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:27 am

Emily,
one thing that would be nice would be to add some information to indicate that we have PM'd a commenter (in addition to graying out when a user clicks on a commenter's link) - that used to show up on the original comment page, I think as grayed out "PM". Perhaps you could change the colour of the "reply" button if that has been done?

thanks!
Nancy

waggonerphotos

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:35 am

Alan (The AU one, not the IE one
Actually, I'm finding that there is one thing, though this is just personal to me (and most likely some others)... when I go to my home page I normally jump straight to my favourites anyway. Having those on the dashboard saves me a step. It's not all good, but it's not all bad either, and at least they're listening to people who raise issues.

There is a hyperlink on the old profile page that takes you directly to your favorites. I have to say again "Replication not Substance"
I believe I read that this was a first step to redesigning part of the profile page? If it is I have to object.
I also at some effort, changed the css of the old profile page to complement the rest of my galleries. I do not wish it changed!
Bob Waggoner
Photographs comprise the communal memory of our times. (Unknown)

oochappan

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:09 am

maybe omitting the link Usergroups by your effective groups (contacts, favorites ....) linking to a full page of latest photos with an editable setting how you want to see them:
- with or without user-profile photo
- only photos with title to avoid biased exchange
- or photos with title and artist

the profile photos are too small cluttering

PS
when you log in, you are forced to your dashboard, is that really necessary, I prefer to go to my profile, clicking comments there I can see this dashboard too.

oochappan

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:19 am

on the commenting page I would like to see a link recent to a full page of recent photos of the commentator
that would save a lot of time and unnecessary links > profile > recent > opening gallery to chose what you like to comment

akmc_in_au

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:35 am

waggonerphotos wrote:
Alan (The AU one, not the IE one

There is a hyperlink on the old profile page that takes you directly to your favorites. I have to say again "Replication not Substance"

I may have been unclear. The link is what I previously used. However with the dashboard I don't need to bother if there haven't been any updates. I can see at a glance which of my favourites have done updates recently (or whether none have).

My wish at the moment is that I be able to expand that to 8 or 12 images; 2 or 3 rows rather than 1. It would be useful the first time I check of a day to get a feel for how much has been happening on my favourites' galleries overnight. Then if I need to go to the full list, I still can.

waggonerphotos wrote:I believe I read that this was a first step to redesigning part of the profile page? If it is I have to object.
I also at some effort, changed the css of the old profile page to complement the rest of my galleries. I do not wish it changed!

Yes, Marisa made that point earlier; I think that there would be real objections if people's ability to customise their home page via CSS was to be customised. I think it would be a very good idea for PBase to set that concern to rest if that's not their plan.

oochappan

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:59 am

add more settings in the dashboard
to chose what you want to see on this dashboard
only comments
only contacts
only pad
only recent (photos, not galleries)
or
chosing a combination of less, now the dashboard is not enough per issue and there are too much cluttering issues thrown together.

zulakitten

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:09 am

Second day - still trying to find my way past and/or through this stupid new format for our previously straight-forward profile page. I have not yet found a way to move beyond it - I wanted to continue my uploading and gallery creation - in progress until this invasion - but am frustrated to the max by not being able to get anywhere.

I've told so many people about how simple and uncomplicated pbase is for both the user and the guest who wishes to view my galleries - but now I think I may have to revise my opinion. If this frustration keeps up, with regret I feel I may want to leave pbase altogether.

Please return to the previous profile page format which was understandable, user-friendly (both for members of pbase and for guests wishing to view my galleries) and clear. Not to put too strong a point on it, I really do HATE what you've done to this otherwise comfortable and dependable photo sharing site.

davidandjohn

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:26 am

Noticed the change from grey letters to black. My aging eyes thankyou!

crs_photo

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:03 am

What a load of crap!!!

So. now I have to get forced to this turkey and then click on profile to see the things that matter to me. Again, what a stupid, ugly load of crap. Don't you guys have any concept of good programming/user interface?????

Let me go to the profile. So other users go to the Dashboard - great. Means nothing to me. At least, be intelligent enough to give me the option to get to something useful, instead of forcing me to this crap.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management