Dashboard and Comment Management

bill81

Re: Dashboard and Comment Management

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:51 pm

And get rid of the dashboard.

jypsee

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:29 pm

I see. Well, a: I have too few comments to care about reciprocating, and, b: I comment very little so the comments thing doesn't interest me.

I tend to leave comments at one time. So I go to the comments page. I right click a name of a person who left a comment for me and open it in a new tab leaving the original comment page open. I comment on their PAD or whatever. (snippage)..And I don't just comment on people who comment on my photos but I do like to reciprocate if they've taken the time to comment on mine. Now, I am probably missing half of them.

kstuebin

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:43 pm

jypsee wrote:I see. Well, a: I have too few comments to care about reciprocating, and, b: I comment very little so the comments thing doesn't interest me.

I tend to leave comments at one time. So I go to the comments page. I right click a name of a person who left a comment for me and open it in a new tab leaving the original comment page open. I comment on their PAD or whatever. (snippage)..And I don't just comment on people who comment on my photos but I do like to reciprocate if they've taken the time to comment on mine. Now, I am probably missing half of them.

To reiterate the point since it is lost in this snippage which is not about commenting and who comments and who doesn't but about the way comments works, I would like to be able to see which links I have clicked on when accessing user accounts from my comments list. It is really a simple piece of code. Is it too much to ask?

I like to comment. A lot of people like to comment. I have been on Pbase since 2002 and I have made a lot of friends here. I have my own system which I'm sure other people use and it requires that the link CHANGE COLOR after you've clicked it.

mikelong

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:46 pm

I'd simply like to delete ALL comments with one click - is that still not possible? One by one seems a little...outdated.

akmc_in_au

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:05 pm

pinemikey wrote:Looks good to me. Change is good.

It's like a new puzzle, finding out what does what and where each link takes you. You would think people would welcome it. Oh well.

And there I was thinking that change was only good when it enhanced functionality, helped people perform tasks better, filled gaps in usability that were missing, in the original design, didn't need to be figured out but was intuitive. All that kind of stuff.

akmc_in_au

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:12 pm

emily wrote:There is now a "settings" link by the dashboard link on the left-side navigation. On the Dashboard Settings page, you can specify how many comments you want to see, which of your usergroups you want listed, and whether or not you want to see recent PAD uploads.

That's definitely heading in the right direction.

emily wrote:Some of you, who had no **favorites, family, or friends usergroup saw a listing for PBase favorites. This was intended for brand new accounts who haven't set any favorites yet. You will not see that listing anymore.

Good call. I think that could be what happened with Trinko; I assumed that only your own favourites would show up.

emily wrote:We also made some small style changes:
- Comment text is now darker.
- Commenter links that you have visited will turn gray.

Karen still seems to be having an issue with this based on her post above, but it seems to be browser-dependent. I'm seeing the different colour when I view it in Firefox 6.0, but not when I view it in IE7. (Though a note at the top of the window in IE7 does advise upgrading the browser.)

Given what you said about stylesheets being in the future I'd imagine that these colours will eventually be customisable anyway?

issyr

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Looking good. Thanks!

akmc_in_au

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 pm

kstuebin wrote:To reiterate the point since it is lost in this snippage which is not about commenting and who comments and who doesn't but about the way comments works, I would like to be able to see which links I have clicked on when accessing user accounts from my comments list. It is really a simple piece of code. Is it too much to ask?

I like to comment. A lot of people like to comment. I have been on Pbase since 2002 and I have made a lot of friends here. I have my own system which I'm sure other people use and it requires that the link CHANGE COLOR after you've clicked it.

Karen, that does work... but as per my post in reply to Emily it only works in some browsers. Which one are you using?

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:31 pm

We made another color change for visited links on comment management. This color difference should be more obvious than the previous one, just in case that was an issue for anybody.

Hope that helps.
-Emily

kstuebin

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Thank you so much, Emily. I can see the change now. Maybe it was just my old eyes before. I didn't know the link was changing color or maybe it was because I haven't upgraded to the latest version of Firefox. At any rate, I can see it now.

morand

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:19 pm

:( I’m not glad of these changes. I preferred to get directly to my profile page. I don't like to show my favourite artist, because seems that they are more shown than me.
Please I prefer to go back to the previous page because it represents the identity of pbase.
Regards, Andrea Morelli

john_cooper

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:00 pm

I have tried to get used to the new system.
I still dont like it.
I really would like to go back to the old system.
It seems Emily is totally ignoring all the requests from people who dont like it and want to go back to the old system.
She just keeps telling us that more changes will be made.
A lot of us dont want changes, we were very happy with the way it was.
But we will all be ignored, and the unwanted changes will continue because the people in charge say so.
We are just the paying customers and we dont count.

pinemikey

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:08 am

akmc_in_au wrote:

It's like a new puzzle, finding out what does what and where each link takes you. You would think people would welcome it. Oh well.

And there I was thinking that change was only good when it enhanced functionality, helped people perform tasks better, filled gaps in usability that were missing, in the original design, didn't need to be figured out but was intuitive. All that kind of stuff.

Sarcasm AND cynicism, thanks. If it makes you feel better go for it. They haven't done anything which changes how your images are displayed and the collective have been bellyaching for changes for ages. This is Pbase. A hobby site for most of us...when did it become a german factory? Perform tasks better? Geez.

waggonerphotos

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:17 am

I really do not believe that Emily or anyone else at Pbase cares about the opinion or desires of their Subscribers!
If we are going to imitate social networking sites or those which are predominated by camera phones, why not create a site for just those users!
At this point I can find nothing on the "Dashboard" that is not a replication of the features on the long standing Profile Page!
Just another attempt to add glitter without adding substance. The more layers you add to the interface only delays reaching what you are after.
Bob Waggoner
Photographs comprise the communal memory of our times. (Unknown)

akmc_in_au

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:36 am

pinemikey wrote:
akmc_in_au wrote:

Sarcasm AND cynicism, thanks. If it makes you feel better go for it. They haven't done anything which changes how your images are displayed and the collective have been bellyaching for changes for ages. This is Pbase. A hobby site for most of us...when did it become a german factory? Perform tasks better? Geez.

Oh dear, was I sarcastic and cynical? Cheezes, you should talk, you've almost patented the concepts.

Yes, perform tasks better Mike. Sorry you have a problem with that concept. Get to the places within the site that you want to get to faster and better. Upload your photos more easily. See what you want to see and do what you want to do. You know, make your hobby more enjoyable? Puzzles don't normally do that, by the way; they tend to get BETWEEN people and what they want to do. When people perform their hobby they generally want to, well, you know, perform it. Not figure out how to. So no, change is not ALWAYS and invariably good.

As it happens... the more I use the dashboard, the more I like it because I'm finding that it does exactly that. It's not as customisable as I'd like yet, but there seems to be progress on that front.

On the other hand I don't much care for your "drink the cool-aid, never question, no criticism is ever valid, every change is nought but good" approach either. If people don't like it, or don't like certain aspects of it, I don't think that they should be criticised for expressing those views as long as they give it a fair chance and ideally do so constructively.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management