Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management

News

Dashboard and Comment Management

m4

Re: Dashboard and Comment Management

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:38 pm

To my way of thinking, by linking the Home tab to the dashboard, the new interface makes it more awkward and time-consuming for me to get what I want. If I want to see more than a few most recent comments, it now takes me 2 clicks instead of 1. Ditto to see my favourites. Finally, I don't understand the purpose of listing 4 favourites on the dashboard; I'd rather see them all or none.

A good rule of thumb for interface design is "If you have to explain how it works, it doesn't".

I would certainly support the idea of giving the user a choice of using the new version or sticking with the old.

photodelles

Waiting for STYLE SHEET !

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Thank you for this improvement, but the texts are too much light and it is difficult to distinguish if the comment is posted on a photo or a gallery!

I expect, and many others are waiting I am sure, is to put new STYLE SHEET available. For over six years that I am on Pbase, there has never been updated!

The problem in Pbase is not to improve the look behind the galeries, but the galeries itself !!!!!

Please give us more DATA SHEET

Regards.

Stephan

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:47 pm

m4 wrote:If I want to see more than a few most recent comments, it now takes me 2 clicks instead of 1.

The dashboard shows your 2 most recent comments. To get to the comment management page for a full listing, you need only click the "View all #### comments" link above those 2 comments or the "Comments: ####" link on the left side navigation.

I hope this helps.
-Emily

davidclunas

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:03 pm

It's great to see that work is being carried out on the user interface. Unfortunately I feel that you really need to look at working with a good interface designer in order to present the user journey and images in the best possible way. I feel that this design take a step backward, there is some good stuff in here, just needs a bit of design time - sorry.

azttttommy

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:51 pm

And you made this change because of all the complaints> Or because you were bored? "PBase Favorites" do not belong on my favorites page. I'm not a fan of change for change sake.

mardoli

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 pm

emily wrote:
m4 wrote:If I want to see more than a few most recent comments, it now takes me 2 clicks instead of 1.

The dashboard shows your 2 most recent comments. To get to the comment management page for a full listing, you need only click the "View all #### comments" link above those 2 comments or the "Comments: ####" link on the left side navigation.

I hope this helps.
-Emily

Thank you, Emily, for your prompt answer!
You are right, clicking on the title of usergroup I can go directly to the full favourites page.
I would have thought of that, but I was a little destabilized by the new look of the page and by the fact that the servers’ problems seemed to prevent an easy navigation over the site for a while.
I know you do your best to improve the general look of PBase and it’s difficult to please everyone.
I keep on preferring the sober former profile page, but maybe I simply need time to get used to the new dashboard.
I only hope you won’t decide to cancel the old profile page and to substitute it completely with something new and full of little pictures like the dashboard
Marisa
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

kstuebin

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:18 pm

I would like to be able to customize my dashboard if I have to have it. I preferred the profile page as well but it's only one click away. If I could customize, I could put what I want to see on it. Is that in the future?

sagecreekimages

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:24 pm

I like your new dashboard, it' an answer to a problem I was concerned about.. G. O'Dell

mardoli

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:32 pm

I’m afraid my first impression is confirmed.
I don’t like the look of the dashboard, I don’t like all the little icons with very small pictures in some cases superposed, I find it messy and not useful at all.
I don’t like the fact that we cannot customize what is displayed in our dashboard.
I don’t like the way the comment list is displayed, only 20 comment for each page and it’s not clear immediately if the comment is destined to a photo or to the gallery where the photo is posted as representative, since the picture displayed is the same and the title is written very small and necessary not in the whole, for space reasons I guess.
It doesn’t seem such a great improvement to me.
Probably I’m too slow-minded to appreciate certain things ;^))
But for me so far is a waste of time.
But what to do? Accepting the majority’s decision…
Marisa
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:39 pm

If there are things about the dashboard that you would like to be able to customize or that you miss, please let us know what they are so we can know exactly what you have in mind.

Thanks,
Emily

rsbfotos

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:41 pm

Count me as being NOT particularly crazy about this new change.

I have to agree with m4 and mardoli on all their comments.

I do wish Pbase would go back and read some of the multitude of changes in the Features Request forum over the years, and work on implimenting some of them instead of flashy looks no one asked for.
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

kstuebin

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Ok, I REALLY hate the comments page. You can't tell which people you've clicked on to comment on their photos from that page. I find myself clicking on people twice if they've left comments on more than one photo. a:visited is not working?

m4

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:59 pm

emily wrote:If there are things about the dashboard that you would like to be able to customize or that you miss, please let us know what they are so we can know exactly what you have in mind.

Thanks,
Emily

Yes: Please make an option that will allow me to turn it off--permanently. ADVthanxANCE

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:07 pm

emily wrote:If there are things about the dashboard that you would like to be able to customize or that you miss, please let us know what they are so we can know exactly what you have in mind.

The things that immediately come to my mind are:
(a) A checkbox list of your user groups so you can choose which ones do (or don't) appear on your dashboard.

(b) Similarly, a checkbox list of:
- PAD galleries;
- Recent Galleries;
- The various Popular galleries
so that you can again choose which ones appear on your dashboard;

(c) Whether or not to display the user's portrait thumbnail over the images that appear in on the dashboard. Some of the images end up sitting over the portrait. To give an example, Marisa's in my favourites list. Right now, the last image that she uploaded had a cat in the bottom right corner of the image, right where her portrait thumbnail is. As a result the cat appears to be sitting over her face. It's not a good look (sorry Marisa), and makes the presence of the portrait thumbnail pointless anyway since you can't see most of it. The only ones that I can see the full portrait of are ones where the most recent image was also portrait oriented.

(d) The number of images to display for each gallery / user group selected on the dashboard.

(e) The number of recent comments to display.

I'm sure others will have other ideas...

jypsee

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:10 pm

I have to wonder who this dashboard is for? Who sees it? I like to look of it (sorta), but WTF am I supposed to do with it? All the stuff related to me just goes around in circles.

Karen: if you click the picture you go to the photos page and can click on the person who commented; if your comment is for a gallery then you can click the title of the gallery and go to the comments for that gallery.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management