Board index PBase News Social Sharing Buttons

News

Social Sharing Buttons

rogard

Re: Social Sharing Buttons

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:30 pm

I think its great. Keep the good work coming!

lschell

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:42 am

pinemikey wrote:Exactly.

Hey, Emily...any chance of allowing us to use Arjun's Pbgrab anytime in the future?

I fully agree. Or should I just say "+1" or "Like"? :lol:

I like to have a 'mirror' of Pbase on my computer and iPad but since PBGrab does not work since the big crash (how long ago? Two years?) I have to do it manually since!

Also, when will the RSS feeds be repaired? Broken since I can't remember... :roll:

Although I really do appreciate new functionality, I would also appreciate it if time and efforts can be dedicated to fix 'old' functionality that has been taken away from us.

yardbird

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:47 am

Thank you Emily. Very useful.

kerrym

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:03 am

It may be wise to be aware regarding the copyright claim with Facebook - correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought if you have it up there on FB, they claim the right to use it?

Hoping someone could clarify that.
Kerry Mitchell NZ
http://www.pbase.com/kerrym

enjayel

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 pm

kerrym wrote:It may be wise to be aware regarding the copyright claim with Facebook - correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought if you have it up there on FB, they claim the right to use it?

Hoping someone could clarify that.

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:

1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

clickaway

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks Emily.

All very nice, but I was rather hoping that PBase would have done something about its speed by now which I see as more important by far. I've been waiting years for such a move.

When I go to the home page and click on my profile, it takes forever.

I'm afraid the priorities at PBase seem to be wrong. It's a bit like building a wonderful attraction at the end of the Florida Keys and giving us a rowing boat instead of a highway.

Ray

mardoli

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

emily wrote:Hi All,

We have added social sharing buttons to the bottom of your gallery and image pages alongside the vote and comment links. If you would like to stop seeing the buttons, you can disable them on your account settings page - http://www.pbase.com/account?view=plugins

By default, we turned them on. If we had them off by default, it would take forever for people to realize they could enable them and start using them.

Hello Emily,
I don’t want to be polemic or to put in discussion what many other PBase members like.
Personally I dislike those Facebook-like buttons and I have immediately disabled them from my profile page option, but if a visitor has not chosen to disable that option, when they visit my galleries they still see the buttons in question in my pages, even though I have disabled the option.
I’d like having the freedom to decide what people can see in my own galleries, those buttons in my personal opinions are useless for me and aesthetically they don’t match my style-sheets.
I accept that, if I visit the pages of a person who has decided to select that option and to enable the buttons, I see them on their pages, but reciprocally I’d like have the same possibility to make them invisible in all my pages for my visitors.
What is the meaning to disable that option for buttons in my galleries if others keep on seeing them according to their own settings???
Thank you for your help
Best
Marisa
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

moxfactor

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:35 pm

this might be pedantic but the "like" button doesn't actually "like" anything. it shares the link to facebook. so should it be a "share" button instead?

in reverse, liking it on facebook doesn't seem to do anything to the liked photo/gallery. is that how it should be?

imorozoff

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Marisa is correct.

There appears to be a bug. The plug-in option should NOT control the social buttons when viewing other peoples pages.
As it stands right now, if I turn it on, then I see the buttons on all pages - mine and yours.
If the button is off, then it turns it off on all pages I view.

I doubt that's the way it's intended. If I turn it off, then why would that setting be overridden on MY galleries by someone elses setting?

mardoli

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:06 am

moxfactor wrote:this might be pedantic but the "like" button doesn't actually "like" anything. it shares the link to facebook. so should it be a "share" button instead?

Your remark is nor pedantic, it’s due to my bad use of English.
When I wrote “Facebook-like” button, I didn’t mean buttons to express a personal liking or disliking.
I intended to say buttons similar to Facebook style; I mean interactive buttons or share buttons.
In all cases I’d like to have the option to make them disappear from my galleries.
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

mardoli

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:10 am

imorozoff wrote:Marisa is correct.

There appears to be a bug. The plug-in option should NOT control the social buttons when viewing other peoples pages.
As it stands right now, if I turn it on, then I see the buttons on all pages - mine and yours.
If the button is off, then it turns it off on all pages I view.

I doubt that's the way it's intended. If I turn it off, then why would that setting be overridden on MY galleries by someone elses setting?

Unluckily I have not had any answer from Emily or anyone else of PBase management.
I have written also privately to PBase support, in case none of them had read the post in this forum, but so far no signs of reaction…
Thank you, Inga, to confirm my impression. I think there must be a bug somewhere in the script which controls those buttons.
I hope it will be fixed.
Best
Marisa
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

oochappan

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:33 am

What makes Pbase different from all the other photosites is
that you can present your photos to others with your layout
thanks to a managable CSS and this whitin the Pbase community.

The imposive + social sharing buttons go against this principe.

I hope Pbase managment will do something about this ! ... soon

imorozoff

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:28 pm

moxfactor wrote:...the "like" button doesn't actually "like" anything. it shares the link to facebook. so should it be a "share" button instead?

Other websites use the term share and display the little "F" logo to share/post the link to your FB profile (or a birdie to share to twitter for that matter.)

There is no "liking" of anything so you're quite right.

Maybe Pbase should look at using something like "AddThis" which adds a nifty little row of standard icons to your pages:
http://www.addthis.com

imorozoff

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:17 pm

Update: It appears that the option is working correctly now.

My option is off and thus MY galleries do not show the sharing options.
When I visit others, this is what I see:

Marisa - No buttons
ReflectionsByRuth - Buttons.

moxfactor

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:44 pm

mardoli wrote:
moxfactor wrote:this might be pedantic but the "like" button doesn't actually "like" anything. it shares the link to facebook. so should it be a "share" button instead?

Your remark is nor pedantic, it’s due to my bad use of English.
When I wrote “Facebook-like” button, I didn’t mean buttons to express a personal liking or disliking.
I intended to say buttons similar to Facebook style; I mean interactive buttons or share buttons.
In all cases I’d like to have the option to make them disappear from my galleries.

sorry, the point wasn't directed at your post, it was a general observation of what the button does. see imorozoff's reply.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Social Sharing Buttons