Board index PBase News New Edit Page

News

New Edit Page

35mmsql

Re: New Edit Page

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:08 pm

I've tried the new edit tool several times now - I run FireFox and I haven't had any issues yet - it's been smooth

gary_stanley

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:56 am

Thrilled....thanks so much for your work on this great feature!

ruthandpaul

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:44 am

This is a wonderful addition to PBase! It works well. Thank you.

Ruth

taffer

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Just had a quick look at it but it promises a lot and good ! Thanks for the heads-up !

fishit

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:31 am

I did a little playing with the new feature, seems to work fine.
A nice adder to do some easy arrangements .. . nice work

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi All,

We're very happy to see the positive response to the new edit tool. We've been very excited about it, too.

There was a note at the end of the original post, but I want to reiterate:
We will be adding the ability to reupload an image via the Edit Image tab. We know that many of you use this tool a lot, but we are still getting it ready.

At your request...
We have added some icons to the contents tab to distinguish non-public items from public items and password-protected galleries from open galleries.
We have also changed the title editing in the contents tab so you can see more of your longer titles while editing them. You may need to refresh the page to start seeing this properly.

Requests we are checking into:
- Some way to view the gallery contents tab with the number of columns from that gallery's settings
- A way to view image hits without hovering over each image

A few people have made requests relating to EXIF and camera/lens/film mapping on upload.
While many concepts dealing with EXIF are simple, the actual implementation is very difficult because of the variation in EXIF from one file source to another. While the EXIF extraction system was being revamped, improvements were also made to the mapping tools. So, you should be seeing a faster mapping of your camera to the camera database.

goislands wrote:
  • Also, in the new gallery edit the "Sequence" or "Commands" column is way too wide at the cost of the "Title" column, what forces user to scroll horizontally longer title.

Are you talking about needing to scroll horizontally in your gallery tree section? If so, you can make this wider/narrower by clicking and dragging the line between the tree section and the contents/settings section.

merriwolf wrote:... the 'Destination Gallery' feature which also appears to be MIA, unless I'm overlooking it.

We didn't put the "copy image to destination gallery" section on the Edit Image tab because you now have the drag-n-drop method of copying an image to another gallery, which is much easier and smoother than selecting a gallery from a huge dropdown list.

floradoragirl wrote:Is the intention to retain the link back to the older style (but still nicely revamped) editing page?

Yes, the lower left link to the "original edit page" will remain. That original editing method is the main editing interface for people with javascript disabled or who are using older browsers that do not support the javascript that the drag-n-drop interface uses.

rjpfm wrote:One thing for me will be great is to upload more than 23 pictures at the time?
Rjpfm

The batch upload will now allow up to 40 images at once. We don't recommend uploading more than that at one time, but if you need to, you can always make a zip file.

If you experience any problems, please include your Operating System and Browser (including versions) along with your post. That will make it much easier for us to investigate.

Thanks,
Emily

mardoli

Re: New Edit Page. I'm a little lost...

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:04 pm

I’m experiencing some little problems with the new edit tool.
Surely it depends on my slow mind and I apologize in advance for not being able to find the right procedure to follow.
When I upload a new photo and then I edit it I cannot find the way to pass always in edit mode from a photo to the following one.
With the old system there was a handy button to click which allowed me to pass from one photo to the next one and back always remaining in edit mode.
It was very useful for me because I have often something to copy in an already uploaded photo and to paste it in the newly uploaded photo.
Then I have also noticed that the uploading procedure of a single photo is slower with the new edit tool than with the old system.
I have Windows 7 and IE 8 and Firefox (the problem is the same in the two browsers)
Dragging and dropping the photos is easy, but I cannot put a photo in the last position of a gallery, in all the other position I can, without problems, but I cannot do it in the last place of a gallery.
I have also the impression that the dimensions of the case where I can write the title of a photo or the caption are always a bit short.
I shamefully confess that I find the old system quicker, but since I’m a troglodyte I’m aware I need time to get use to new technologies ;^))
I’m sure it will be fine…
I’m comforted to know that the old system of editing will be kept and we’ll have the choice
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

oochappan

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:41 pm

don't know if this was asked before ?

would it be possible when dragging a photo to a gallery to include a pop-up window with the choice move or copy to confirm your action ?

oochappan

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 pm

asked this before
Is it possible to add the ←↑↓→arrow keys of your keyboard to move your selection ?

mccartney

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:15 pm

oochappan wrote:don't know if this was asked before ?

would it be possible when dragging a photo to a gallery to include a pop-up window with the choice move or copy to confirm your action ?

I agree, right now it is just too easy to forget to toggle the move/copy selection until it is too late.

*** One other request if I may, and I think it may have already been mentioned. When I am looking at a large gallery in the "contents" view, it is hard to see which image has been set as the "representative" thumbnail.
Could the little "R" be made larger and maybe have it blink as well, or maybe have the thumbnail surrounded with a bright colored background while in the contents view? That would make it much easier to see which is representative.

Thanks - you are doing a great job.
Barry McCartney Photography - http://www.pbase.com/mccartney

mccartney

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:25 pm

emily wrote:Hi All,

At your request...
We have added some icons to the contents tab to distinguish non-public items from public items and password-protected galleries from open galleries.

Thanks,
Emily

It would also be very helpful to see these special icons in the tree list - not sure if that's possible or not.

*** Also would be very nice to see the tree listing always appear in fully expanded mode just like it is if you were to click on "tree view" from any of the online PBase web pages.
Barry McCartney Photography - http://www.pbase.com/mccartney

beyer

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:06 am

Thank you. Looks great. Look forward to use and test it. Beyer

rbrown222

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Marked improvement. makes photomanagement easy

RJBGraphics

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Reuploading images is now available via the Edit Image tab.
Enjoy!
-Emily

andrys

Re: New Edit Image Page

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:28 pm

ckirby wrote:The most recent versions of Chrome, Safari, and Opera will probably run the site the best. Firefox and IE seem to be a little clunkier.

ckirby! Good to see you!

I'm using Firefox 4 and it seems pretty smooth. Looks like you kept what we did (in display to those viewing) as is, which had been a worry due to customizations some of us do. Very nice job from what I can see quickly right now. Just found the announcement.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News New Edit Page