Board index PBase News PBase Statistics page returns

News

PBase Statistics page returns

bracciodiferro

Re: PBase Statistics page returns

Post Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:01 pm

gstvincent wrote:Dear PBase staff,

Your new stats pages look very good and give more precise details on stats. Looks like your recuperated well from a bad event and turn it around for the better. You did a good job.
Also, I hope the old method will come back as it was before. It’s very useful to see the hit counts on each photo of each gallery in order to take note of the most popular photos. The same applies to the total number of pages viewed on the profile page. It’s a number, but it gives quickly the global information.
If these come back as they were, your stats pages will be very complete. I don’t know what you could add, maybe some sort of monthly or yearly summary for galleries and photos, things like that.

Keep on your good work.

Guy

I am completely in agreement.
This was a good way to quickly understand the level of appreciation of our pics.
I believe that for many of us is very important!
Best,
Paolo
http://www.paolopeggi.com

frank_b

Post Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Excellent work. Thanks. I hope views per day for a picture returns. It is so useful in judging the comparative popularity of pictures. I might have missed it, but don't see it. Thanks again.

nkirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tests.

First, several people are commenting that they would like to see the hitcount numbers return to image and gallery pages. This is the next step and requires a little more backend preparation but we haven't forgotten about it at all. Also, your profile page currently shows your hitcounts up to September 24th, this will be corrected along with the gallery and image counts.

Also, someone noticed they had images with more hits than the galleries that contain them. The system in place counts image views separately from galleries. So a gallery only gets a hit when its gallery page is requested, but not when an image in it is viewed.

Thanks again.

dhfreriks

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:29 am

[quote] billinchapelhill wrote - Thanks pB so for getting this improved page back.

I use Google Chrome and the new page formatting is not showing up. Instead I a thin display on the far right with small images with the bar stats with tiny bars are below like several others report. The new formatting does show up (and looks great) when I bring it up using IE and looks really good. Can you look at this page with Google Chrome and improve the formatting?

Total hit count on Profile Page still has not updated. Is this going to be repaired?

Thanks
Bill Warren/quote]

Try hitting the refresh button when using Google Chrome. It appears normal here after I do that. Dave

webberphotography

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:19 am

gtepke wrote: Is it possible to add all-time Most Viewed images and galleries, i.e., the images and galleries with the most cumulative views since the image was uploaded or the gallery created? I know these stats are available on each individual gallery and image page, but if I want to know which are my most viewed photos of all time, I have to look at the count for each photo and figure it out myself - not very practical if you have thousands of photos uploaded. Perhaps this would be too much of a load on the stats server, but you are already collecting and displaying the data, so it would just be a matter of sorting and displaying the top 11 (or whatever number you choose) on a single page. Thanks for considering this. Glen

Well said - this sort of information would be great to have.

Good work on making a visible effort to address the PBase hiccups. The increase in admin communications is a step in the right direction - much appreciated.

billinchapelhill

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:06 am

Thanks Dave
The refresh button trick works for Google Chrome. Hopefully pB will fix it so that step will not be needed.

Bill Warren

dougj

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:50 am

billinchapelhill wrote:Thanks Dave
The refresh button trick works for Google Chrome. Hopefully pB will fix it so that step will not be needed.

Bill Warren

Bill, Chrome doesn't have an auto refresh capability built into the browser. Do a search in Chrome Help on 'refresh' and you'll find many pages of complaints about this hassle for websites in general, and some basic suggested solutions the user can do. The short version - manually clearing the cache & using the reload button a lot, or use a different browser until Chrome either adds some of these basic features or plug ins become available from developers. Personally, I have Chrome but rarely use it as it's still in its infancy and is missing features I use in other browsers.

billinchapelhill

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Dave
A bit ironic in that I started using Chrome in large part because it seemed to load the chronically slow pB pages the fastest. Thanks for the insights on refreshing. Bill

4dabirds

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Glad to see the new stats, but upon opening them today I discovered a gallery attributed to my user ID that is obviously German and not mine at all. I hesitate to Delete Gallery as I fear the actual owner might suffer the consequences. Is there some way to transfer an erroneously linked gallery back to the ACTUAL artist, though I can't seem to discover who that user might be? The gallery is: Castlefest 2009 Zaterdag and I can promise you it has no place in my Central New York-based galleries.

YMerriam
www.pbase.com/4dabirds

lens

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:00 pm

nkirby wrote:We are very happy to offer a look at the new statistics page to all the PBase users here in the forum. We would like to apologize again to those of you who missed this feature in its absence, however we think you will be pleased with the new page.

We are only linking to the new statistics from the forums for the time being. We plan to make some additions and tweaks to the page before it gets linked back to stats.pbase.com. The page has been tested on several browsers and systems, but we are counting on your feedback to help improve it and catch any bugs that our testing may have missed.

The new page currently functions very similarly to the old one with some user interface improvements and an additional view that allows you to see the hourly breakdown of your aggregate traffic for a given day. The help page's statistics section has been updated to explain the navigation and layout of the page, but hopefully it will prove to be straightforward enough for most of you.

In addition to the new look and speed improvements, there is a whole new method being used for gathering and organizing hitcount data. This new method is an exciting improvement for a couple of reasons. The statistics is now all handled on dedicated hardware, which means we have taken some stress off of the main site, making PBase faster overall. It also allows us to provide you with more detailed information about your page views.

Enjoy!
Please feel free to make suggestions. They will be taken into consideration.

http://www.pbase.com/stats/

I do not see total page views.Ι Wonder why?

lancemoreland

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:16 pm

Kirby,

I also noticed that my hit counter on the profile page shows about 25,000 hits less after the crash than before. Not that it matters that much but why would that be and will the missing hits be restored?

sbbish

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:38 pm

QUESTION

I couldn't find this in the new Help page, so I'll ask here.

If I remember correctly, I think that the old stat counter did not count hits if you viewed your own images/galleries, as long as you were logged in to your account. In other words, your own navigation around your own site would not skew your hit counts.

Is this still the case?

The reason I ask is because it looks like I'm seeing hits from yesterday in the new stat counter on one of my hidden/password protected galleries that I visited myself. It is possible the hits are from someone else, but it did seem like a bit of a co-inky-dink.

Thanks,
Scott

ronhrl

A suggestion to improve the Statistics page

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks for the nice job; the page looks very nice. But I miss the name of the days of the week (Mon, Wed, etc) next to the date; it makes reviewing the data much easier. Can you add this?

jacklouis

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Looks great! Thanks!

hphdk

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:37 pm

My total hitcount on my profile page is not updated sins Pbase "amagedon". Is thre something I had missed or is it not finished yet?

:P :P

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News PBase Statistics page returns