PBase Statistics page returns

larsjohnsson

Re: PBase Statistics page returns

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:40 am

Today the stats are 5 days behind.................. :(

bob_r

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Could some one explain how the stats work or are they working? If I count the number of image hits and the number of gallery hits for the last day that figures are provided, I get a total of 42, but the total number of hits shown for that date is 352. Is this discrepancy just part of the bigger problem or do the totals represent some other way of calculating?

Thanks for any help.

petersussex

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:50 pm

larsjohnsson wrote:Today the stats are 5 days behind.................. :(

...and can we do? I wrote a letter to PBase Team 3 days ago. NO ANSWER SO FAR! No idea what they are doing there, went on holiday?

dennislaska

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Now the "server is rebooting"

You got to be kidding me.

hydro2005

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Sorry if this is too basic.....but one thing I don't understand about these stats. There have been several postings by some folks about how things seem to be up and running about right, followed by subsequent problems. What I don't get, is that PBASE said the old stats were not going to be lost when (if) things get back up and running. But stats for the galleries I have always only gone back to the crash on Sep 24th-------even as some posters were saying things looked good.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think eventually the old stats will be combined with stats since Sep 24th----or is my understanding of this flawed?

dw_thomas

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:56 pm

I have to assume ypu're talking about the bar graph displays? The total hit counts on the individual gallery pages appear to be "working," that is, on mine that I remember anything about, the current numbers look reasonable if I assume they include pre-Sept 24 data. The bar graph displays start at Sept 24, which is indeed about when they started. If it were me, I would have that be a window of some fixed length -- 30 days or 60 days back from "now" -- rather than accumulate gobs of data forever. But it's pretty obvious it's not me .... I would also have tried other novelties like restoring the original system post-crash, then adding enhancements, not to mention testing the enhancements on a play system before inflicting them on thousands of innocent users. (But then I used to be entangled with control systems -- the behavior we're seeing here is not acceptable when manipulating large steam valves ...)

I put working in quotes up there because the track record to date is way less than confidence inspiring. Fortunately, PBase hits is not a factor in calculating my income. :mrgreen:

DaveT

bbresler

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Somebody has got to explain why I should pay for another year of this train wreck.

jaapblom

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:10 pm

jaapblom wrote:They called it a nice new feature but it seems to be very difficult to make a daily update of the Aggregate daily page views.
Frequency tends to be one update in two days. But I have seen this before and I am afraid that it only grow slower.

Self-fulfilling prophecy???

petersussex

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:52 pm

They're talking about hourly statistics ... my page view was updated 7 days ago!!!

tgrey

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:17 pm

The updating of my hitcounts stopped seven days ago -- but is now updated through yesterday, January 20. Along with everyone else who posts here, I would really like more communication -- it would have been nice if there had been a news update a week ago when count update was stopped, and another one today when it was resumed. But I am glad it is back.

Tom Grey

fishit

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:38 am

bbresler wrote:Somebody has got to explain why I should pay for another year of this train wreck.

Other than stats have you had other problems with how PBase is running?
Is stats that important of a issue to you not to stay a paying member?
I am curious since I like using my Analytics. Stats is nice but not as important to me.

One thing I can say the site seems faster when viewing.

kstuebin

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:41 pm

fishit wrote:
bbresler wrote:Somebody has got to explain why I should pay for another year of this train wreck.

Other than stats have you had other problems with how PBase is running?
Is stats that important of a issue to you not to stay a paying member?
I am curious since I like using my Analytics. Stats is nice but not as important to me.

One thing I can say the site seems faster when viewing.

Stats are important for culling photos that get no hits. If they worked, which they don't, it is just a lot easier to do it from Pbase directly than a third party site.

If stats weren't important to people, there wouldn't be thread after thread about them.

tddunn

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Has anyone had a problem where you upload what looks to be a normal jpeg file and the file is okay but you can't get the thumb file to load?

fishit

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:13 am

kstuebin wrote:Stats are important for culling photos that get no hits. If they worked, which they don't, it is just a lot easier to do it from Pbase directly than a third party site.

If stats weren't important to people, there wouldn't be thread after thread about them.

As mentioned I prefer off site stats but I suppose you right about how some other people might feel.
Thanks for the feedback.

bob1grady

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:21 pm

I just checked the stat's and mine are up to date with the image count and the image and gallery side bars. Looks like the clock has been removed so maybe that was what was causing the problems. I don't think an hourly update was realy needed anyway.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News PBase Statistics page returns