Board index PBase News PBase Statistics page returns

News

PBase Statistics page returns

larsjohnsson

Re: PBase Statistics page returns

Post Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:32 pm

Yes the statistics doesn't work at all. My figures are much lower than before. I need 133000 more clicks to reach the total number I had 3½ months ago. And the clicks for the images that I have uploaded this moth are also very strange and wrong

hmetal

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:55 pm

My stats seemed to have started working but none of the numbers add up. This is ridiculous! Doesn't PBase use a testbed and a group of testers to test this stuff before putting buggy features into place?

I held out on saying it long enough because I really didn't want to be a dick but all this is just evidence that PBase needs better programmers and more organization with respect to how new features and bug fixes are tested and released.

And I say this not as some retard who never programmed a thing in his life. I am an experienced software developer and web developer who has been working with PHP and SQL for more than 8 years now, in a corporate environment.

This statistics thing should have been fixed within a couple weeks. We know they are using PHP and I assume mysql for the database. If this is the case, and if the programmers know the code, it shouldn't have taken this long UNLESS someone isn't documenting their code and no one knows what does what. I really hope that isn't the case because that also screams "amateur."

Feel free to call me scum now for vocalizing the truth. ;)
Ray A. Akey
http://luminescentmemories.com - Luminescent Memories Photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmetal - My Flickr
http://www.pbase.com/hmetal/pad - My PAD
http://codemain.com - A small portfolio

ram13

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:26 pm

Candidly, I know almost nothing about computer code or any of that. But, I am in the service business. If I treated my clients the way pbase has treated us -- the breakdown, the failure to fix over the course of MONTHS, the sporadic (at best) level of communication about the issues and a timetable to fix the issue -- all the while continuing to charge us, I would be out of a job.

My subscription runs out in less than two months now. I really don't want to investigate other options -- this site is just for me to share photos with family and friends -- but I will if I have to.

Please, please let us know what is going on more than occasionally. Communication goes a long way towards trust and happy clients.

ngruev

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:36 pm

In addition to the new look and speed improvements

Today is the first of January 2010, 2:30 in the afternoon. The statistics in my galleries and pages are from the 28th of last month and last year. Almost four days old. No one mentions this as a problem and I am not sure if it is being worked on or not. It sounds odd to me bragging about speed and in the same time being four days behind with stats.

davecq

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Well, I'm not about to defend what I consider to be an appalling failure on the part of the pbase owners. However, I do think we need to keep in mind that the last official announcement from them came on the 16th December 2009 when they stated that work was continuing on the hit counting issue as they weren't satisfied with its performance.

In the absence on any announcement since, I don't think we can assume that just because hit counts have reappeared that they have it working right yet. My conclusion is that they are still testing and making changes. That it should be taking them so very long is another issue altogether and one that I best not comment further on lest I offend someone's sensibilities! :roll:

hmetal

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:17 pm

davecq wrote:Well, I'm not about to defend what I consider to be an appalling failure on the part of the pbase owners. However, I do think we need to keep in mind that the last official announcement from them came on the 16th December 2009 when they stated that work was continuing on the hit counting issue as they weren't satisfied with its performance.

In the absence on any announcement since, I don't think we can assume that just because hit counts have reappeared that they have it working right yet. My conclusion is that they are still testing and making changes. That it should be taking them so very long is another issue altogether and one that I best not comment further on lest I offend someone's sensibilities! :roll:

If I ever "tested" on a live server in the corporate environment, I would be out of a job. Ah well, no sense beating a dead horse I guess.
Ray A. Akey
http://luminescentmemories.com - Luminescent Memories Photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmetal - My Flickr
http://www.pbase.com/hmetal/pad - My PAD
http://codemain.com - A small portfolio

imorozoff

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:49 pm

ngruev wrote:Today is the first of January 2010...The statistics in my galleries and pages are from the 28th of last month and last year. Almost four days old.

Same here.

rileypm

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:26 am

Pbase loads like lightning and the stats are up to date from where I sit.

moxfactor

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:52 pm

rileypm wrote:Pbase loads like lightning and the stats are up to date from where I sit.

interesting... my daily are up to date and frozen on Dec 28, while my overall hitcount is also stuck but with no way of knowing if it's current or not...

rsbfotos

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:25 pm

rileypm wrote:Pbase loads like lightning and the stats are up to date from where I sit.

Just where in Hades are you sitting??

It is now the 2nd of january and MY stats are still showing "most viewed" for the 28th of december with a stats page title of "Aggregate daily page views for ..... Tue Dec 29 2009"!
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

mxlens

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:18 pm

My old root gallery stats have returned. Thank you. But I am having problems with the new stats page. Am I doing something wrong? Today is Jan 2 and my last post of stats was December 28. Thank you for all of your help.

mangoman

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Almost certainly they turned on the stats on December 28 - just before a major holiday. This breaks a cardinal rule in software development where I work - never release new code on Friday afternoon or before a holiday break. This rule is not in K&R's classic "The Elements of Programming Style", but programmers soon learn it on the job.

They must have realized that the code was broken and turned it back off. I still have galleries showing up twice on the same day - an obvious code bug.

But, from the beating a dead horse department, it would be real nice if they dropped us a note to that effect ...

petersussex

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:16 pm

I'm sorry to say, but the whole Pbase works worse than ever. It seems it has lost control and no one knows where the system headings for or what it is doing. My full statistics hasn't been updated for 5 days, the hitcounts shows completely idiot figures and the worse of all, no webmaster(s) at Pbase realizes the problem.
Dear Slug & Emily, will it ever work again? ... I hope so.
Peter Sussex

ninaludwig

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:03 pm

mxlens wrote:My old root gallery stats have returned. Thank you. But I am having problems with the new stats page. Am I doing something wrong? Today is Jan 2 and my last post of stats was December 28. Thank you for all of your help.

You are not doing anything wrong. Same thing here, no new stats since 28th December and the old stats do not add up.

jaapblom

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Once I made a gallery with my most popular images http://www.pbase.com/jaapblom/toppers. I was used to order these image in an increasing order of hits.
At the moment that the hitcounts were back (say one week ago) I inspected this gallery to see what had happened. I must say: the figures I saw seemed to be rather reliable. The order of pictures was in a great deal the same as before the crash. As far as I can remember all figures just increased.
I see still increasing of the numbers in what I may expect as normal.
But of course I cann't improve anything. I see the same missing stats at the moment like most of you do.
We can only guess what 's behind. The number of days between two update is anxiously increasing.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News PBase Statistics page returns