Board index PBase News PBase Statistics page returns

News

PBase Statistics page returns

akmc_in_au

Re: PBase Statistics page returns

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 am

aviles wrote:The 28 Jan aggregate stats seem to be way out of whack for me. PBase says 1340, but StatCounter says only 120 or so. Anybody else having this problem?

They'll never be even remotely the same; StatCounter filters out indexing 'bot visits (Google, Yahoo et al), PBase doesn't (as far as can be told). StatCounter can be coded to filter out your own visits... while there's a strong suspicion that the new PBase stats count them, even when you're logged in. (Difficult to prove, but if you look back through this thread you'll see that it's suspected strongly.) That's why on a day where you might get a hundred page loads from "real" viewers on StatCounter you'll get a few hundred loads on PBase. The PBase stats probably still give you an indication of what your most popular shots are (since the 'bot visits will probably average out), but the absolute numbers are relatively meaningless IMHO.

dougj

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:26 am

I consistently see differences between Stat Counter and Google Analytics, however PBase is higher than both. Alan may be right about bots, and I agree that the best value in the PBase stats is to look at trends and overall ranking of photos. The hits are probably not what we think they are, but I suspect considering them at the macro level might be relevant.

dw_thomas

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:18 am

Things have been so haphazard for some time that it's hard to be sure, but it looks to me as though the daily increment in the Aggregate Views is slightly higher than the daily views reflected in the bar graph. Now there could be random differences if the two counts are sampled at different times, but I'm seeing the average over several weeks as about 1600 for the aggregate vs 1100 for the bars.

But hey, it's all relative -- and my income doesn't depend on the numbers. :shock:

stilllearning

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Time for someone to kick the hampster wheel and wake him up. :lol:
I'm stuck at Jan 30 on stats.

hydro2005

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:04 am

I could be wrong about this....but I think I think the stats on my galleries changed since yesterday, even though it says it hasn't updated since the 30th. Is that possible? I might have to double check this for amusement.

stilllearning

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:53 pm

I see someone woke up the hampster. :) I'm at Feb 2 this morning.

stilllearning

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Starting to see a pattern to the Hampster. he/she runs for a day then goes to sleep for 3 to 7 days at a time. Should install some loud music to keep him/her awake. :wink:

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:40 pm

stilllearning wrote:Starting to see a pattern to the Hampster. he/she runs for a day then goes to sleep for 3 to 7 days at a time. Should install some loud music to keep him/her awake. :wink:

They can shoot the sodding hamster as far as I'm concerned, if working on that is what's broken the StatCounter functionality (http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 5091caf57c). Three days now, and not a word from the Admins in either the forums or in response to (my, at least) support request, though admittedly experience has shown that who gets support request responses and when is almost as random as the stats are. This morning I ran through a few images and yes, the problem's still there. I load a page and check the source code, yup, the Statcounter code is there - refresh - nope, not there any more - refresh again - it's back - next image - nope, no StatCounter code, etcetera.

Pages which may-or-may-not render correctly (and I'm wondering whether the "access denied" errors (http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 379c6cdea9 and http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 379c6cdea9) are part of that as well) have always been my primary source of apprehension with this place because my trust in the way it's run evaporated long ago and my membership is now more sustained by hope than confidence.

As I've expressed elsewhere, the third party stats are the only ones which aren't a joke. Or were, until recently. Consequently if I want to know what my visitor pattern is like I now have the choice of either using the PBase stats (on the occasions that the hamster is awake) or the =Rand() function in Excel. Both would have equal validity, I suspect.

sixriversrail

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:01 am

The hampster seems to be confused as to what to do, animal testing perhaps? My stats are finally only two days apart from being updated. I have found over the last few months that usually they seem to be updated at the end of each week, maybe.
Six Rivers Rail~Tony Pawley

hhcubed

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:39 am

sixriversrail wrote:The hampster seems to be confused as to what to do, animal testing perhaps? My stats are finally only two days apart from being updated. I have found over the last few months that usually they seem to be updated at the end of each week, maybe.

To me, as of Feb 14 @ 06:30EST, the hamster is asleep in the corner of its cage. It used to be 1 - 2 days update--usually 1, surprisingly. My stats page shows up to Feb 9 ONLY. Added 3 more galleries, and nothing's changed except for how much space I'm using on the server.... I'm going to really have to look into smugmug... I have another user ID for a CPA group I'm in charge of: same problem there... Have to see what smugmug will do for me... :( :x :cry:

stilllearning

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:18 pm

I think the Hampster died. Time to buy a new hampster or get a new wheel. :wink:

dhaslam

Post Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:22 am

Well it is still winter, he may just be still hibernating.

larsjohnsson

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:55 am

The stats are a joke here at Pbase. 6 days since the last update. And Slug and his ""support"" are even worse....

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:29 am

larsjohnsson wrote:The stats are a joke

Why I don't know what you mean {innocent blinking of eyes}.

My native site stats (which are detailed and feature rich) agree completely with my StatCounter stats, there are no honking great holes in my StatCounter numbers from the code not rendering (resulting in me getting comments on images that StatCounter says were never looked at), and the native site stats are completely up to date!

Oh, wait. You were talking about the PBase stats.

Sorry, forget that I said anything. :lol:

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Looks like the hamster is back on the wheel; mine are currently showing up to the 14th.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News PBase Statistics page returns