Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

dennislaska

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:41 pm

ajuett wrote:
dennislaska wrote:Apparently. :roll: Mr "advice giver"

You should end your childish responses now. (that is a probably better advice than my first comment!).

OK boss :roll:

dennislaska

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:50 pm

ajuett wrote:
dennislaska wrote:Apparently. :roll: Mr "advice giver"

You should end your childish responses now. (that is a probably better advice than my first comment!).

Or What? You going to give more advice?

You make it so hard to stop because I love all your advice. You're so wise!!

Jerk.

slowride

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:03 am

Hard to relax when its costing you money

mikelong

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:00 am

You get what you pay for

barbara_heide

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:52 am

raiffeisen wrote:Fully agree. I use pbase for costumer service. Service offline for days is deadly for business. Maybe it´s not a big problem for a fotoamateur. Grandma can look at the pictures a few days later and still be happy.

But a professional customer is more than unhappy and bad performance kill the image of the professional user.

So: No problem with a higher charger and online garantie of 100%. I for myself have now to look for alternatives, that last blackout destroyed my image with 2 important customers. I use pbase (different sites) for about 10 customers, mainly because of the good statistics (which still don´t work after the crash), the simple upload an sequencing and the customisable (maybe a little bit complicated) design.

alois

come on...
if you use pbase for professional purpose...it is your problem. It is a very cheap photo sharing site... Why don't you have a personal website then ? You will see that all servers might get downtimes...
If professionnals are on pbase, it's because of a high visibility... and a very low cost. You get a lot for your money here... don't be so precious and fuzzy.
A professional photographer needs different sites to expose his work... some solutions can be very expensive but any will be 100% safe...

I'm annoyed for the downtime, but wouldn't complain...

and I just love the community here...

cheers
Barbara

mikelong

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:09 am

Any pro using a photo-share site costing $23 per year to make a living - especially one that has a long history of well-documented problems - needs to take a closer look at their marketing strategy and professionalism. It's not rocket science - pay up and get your own site like most pros.

rmcalpine

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:29 am

There is merit in a lot of the seemingly contradictory recent comments. Pbase does not have the technical resources of a more expensive (marketing) site or one that has a different business model and sells advertisng. But what Pbase has that these other sites could never duplicate is a community that is helpful, friendly and encouraging. Pbase members develop a "following" of mainly other members who notice (often within minutes) that you have posted something new and they provide feedback. They are unlikely to buy your new image; but they will comment on it. Pbase is not a site well-adapted to the marketing of images. It may be somehow integrated into your marketing plan; but it could not be the major part of that plan. Perhaps the busy Pro who is currently using Pbase really needs two sites: (1) Pbase where you can get community and develop your reoutation; and (2) a more commercial marketing site where you can sell your images and collect fees. Pbase, as it exists today, will not do both tasks well. I just don't see Pbase developing its marketing capability with its current ownership/staff.

alpiner

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Hurruah for Barbara......someone who agrees with me!

bracciodiferro

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:45 pm

Good news:
after 16 days, the master counter ( in the profile page ) is running right now!
Alleluja !
Paolo
:))

toprani

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:55 pm

trinko wrote:For a web based business PBase could stand to learn a bit about communications. Frankly I think every PBase member should have been emailed the first message in this thread. Free month is reasonable...

Before I read about the power failure problem, I sent a message to pbase regarding the non-working hit counter and got very annoyed when I did not receive a response. I sent a second message. trinko is absolutely correct in saying that Pbase should stand to learn about communications. The comment that every member should have been e-mailed regarding the problem would have gone a long way in gaining the respect, understanding and reducing the frustration of the members.

carrhighlander

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:31 pm

bracciodiferro wrote:Good news:
Alleluja !
Paolo

No it isn't.
Hasn't changed since the melt down. :(

paninic

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:28 pm

carrhighlander wrote:
Alleluja !
Paolo

No it isn't.
Hasn't changed since the melt down. :(

The same for me, The counter is not still running on. Perhaps soon, may be .....I'hope so.

mwhabib

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Alleluja !
Paolo

Yes, also working for me.
And the space used by my images is down back to the normal level.
Marwan Habib

viljamix

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Not working for me, I'm afraid. :(
I really do appreciate if you could leave a comment. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Cheers, Jorma

You'll never get out of this life alive.

http://pbase.com/viljamix

ronsc

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:40 pm

rmcalpine wrote:There is merit in a lot of the seemingly contradictory recent comments. Pbase does not have the technical resources of a more expensive (marketing) site or one that has a different business model and sells advertisng. But what Pbase has that these other sites could never duplicate is a community that is helpful, friendly and encouraging. Pbase members develop a "following" of mainly other members who notice (often within minutes) that you have posted something new and they provide feedback. They are unlikely to buy your new image; but they will comment on it. Pbase is not a site well-adapted to the marketing of images. It may be somehow integrated into your marketing plan; but it could not be the major part of that plan. Perhaps the busy Pro who is currently using Pbase really needs two sites: (1) Pbase where you can get community and develop your reoutation; and (2) a more commercial marketing site where you can sell your images and collect fees. Pbase, as it exists today, will not do both tasks well. I just don't see Pbase developing its marketing capability with its current ownership/staff.

I think you make a good point here, and I basically agree with you. I have posted a couple of times that PBase is NOT run in a professional manner. This is intended more as an observation than a criticism. PBase is what it is. Many excellent photographers display their work here and the interaction among subscribers who make up the PBase community is probably the best thing about the place. On the second day of the recent outage I opened an account at SmugMug. I had been thinking of doing that for some time, because of the general slowness and one or two other issues. I will sell my photos on SmugMug and direct people to that site when I want them to see my work or if they express an interest in buying something. But for $23/year I will probably stay here too, mainly because of the overall higher quality of the photography (or at least that is my perception/opinion), the community (most of it, anyway) and the hits/comments I receive (I also comment frequently on photos by other people in here).

So yes, maybe the "two sites" option is the best way to go. But it is still annoying as hell to see PBase down completely for four days and more than two weeks after the crash they still aren't running 100%. And we all know about the"PBase is slow" issue so no point in re-hashing it here. But like I said, that's PBase. It is what it is, and it's unlikely to change much.

Ron
http://www.ronwrightphotography.com

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime