Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

briarrose

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:20 pm

YAY! A new update has been posted--THANKS for the latest info, Slug--it was full of useful information! :)

xray

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:43 pm

Hang in there folks. things are already better and faster. I've only been here for seven years but Pbase remains my favorite. Thanks for your overtime Slug & Emily,

rllgl

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:38 pm

briarrose wrote:YAY! A new update has been posted--THANKS for the latest info, Slug--it was full of useful information! :)

Me too..... :D

demoss

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:44 pm

To the Pbase team, and the Pbase community,

I can very much relate to what you're going through. In my career I have dealt with many similar crises due to systems breaking apart and users being impacted. I have learned many lessons from it (such as how important communication is, something pbase users have been stressing over and over in this forum).

In fact I have learned so many lessons about how to make systems be highly available, run fast, and scale that I co-authored a book titled "Achieving IT Service Quality - The Opposite of Luck". I also have a blog (http://www.ooluck.com) relating similar stories to what bpase is going through.

Emily and team, I'm sure you're too sleep-deprived to want to read a book, but I bet you'll see a lot of your own story in The Opposite of Luck :-)

Christophe DeMoss
http://www.ooluck.com

jacklouis

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:17 pm

I think the best way for PBase to insure its survival is to offer unlimited storage for its basic subscription fee.

trinko

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:24 pm

New status message was the first one that contained useful data. This should have been sent out a month a ago as a "here's what we're going to do" message and then we should have seen regular follow ups.

Slug et all get some sleep. We can wait awhile for fixes if we have some idea of what's going on. Prior to the latest message you could have been doing this as a sideline on weekends for all we knew. No one wants you to kill yourself to get the counters back a few days sooner.

Based on this I'm comfortable that while Slug really needs to learn some communications techniques PBase is probably worth sticking with.

lindsaygilliland

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:58 pm

since when are computer tech heads good at communication with refined social skills hahaha !! come on guys , stop the bitching and have a little faith .

when all this is over and pbase is firing on all cylinders , it will be the best around .

I am glad i stuck it out , weathered the storm.While all the RATS jumped ship.

Slug , you'r a battler ! ... good on ya mate :lol:

westerduin

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Slug and emily,are the best thanks :D

nicthe

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:34 am

slug and emily

Thanks for all the effort and please get some rest. You make me proud to be a pbaser for years.

And for those concerning the counters, highly recommend you guys to use the google analytics.

little support from Hong Kong
regards,
nicthe
my trips memories:
http://www.pbase.com/nicthe/trips
my dining diary in hong kong:
http://www.pbase.com/nicthe/taste

bossuytj

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:04 pm

I don't understand why all the software needs to be rewritten when the cause of the outage was a hardware failure.

soenda

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:36 pm

bossuytj wrote:I don't understand why all the software needs to be rewritten when the cause of the outage was a hardware failure.

There had been concern for quite awhile about the accuracy of the PBase hit count. Slug and Emily apparently decided that rather than expend the time to simply restore the hit count when the were anxious to revamp it wasn't worth it. They went straight to fixing the process instead of doing double work.

At least that is my understanding.

bracciodiferro

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:26 pm

bossuytj wrote:I don't understand why all the software needs to be rewritten when the cause of the outage was a hardware failure.

Eh-Eh..... :lol:

downsouthstories

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:58 pm

That's more like it, Slug!

A little bit of communication goes a hell of a long way in keepin us folks happy!
I was waitin to see how things were goin before renewin my subscription but now it'll be on the way soon as.

Now you guys go get some shut eye and spend some evenins with the kids - now that we know what's goin down, we can wait a day or two longer!!

Thanks again,

Mike

fishit

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:15 pm

jacklouis wrote:I think the best way for PBase to insure its survival is to offer unlimited storage for its basic subscription fee.

I do like this idea, or at least increased storage.

scatts

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Slug and Emily,

Thanks for all the effort! Nice to see that this downtime is being handled the same as previous - average communication but good outcome and a lot of genuine hard work in between. :)

Was it a pain, yes. Will pBase be better for it, yes.

I suppose those who use pBase for any kind of commercial purpose, or in other ways need zero downtime will be annoyed with this hiccup but I can't say that I have ever expected that from pBase. Not for the price I pay and from what is essentially a "family run business" as opposed to a large corporate venture. Even the big boys fall down sometimes.

Free month is a fair deal, IMO. I remain a committed pBase enthusiast.

Ian

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime