Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:07 am

My counter has magically returned.

Now for the big counter.

Ian M

i_fly

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:08 pm

ianm_au wrote:My counter has magically returned.

Now for the big counter.

Ian M

What do you exactly mean - are you saying that you are getting new numbers or are just seeing the older ones as before the crash ?

I do see the counter on older pics,i.e. those uploaded before the crash, and I do see the counters for my galleries, none of these numbers have changed after the crash. However, I do not see any counters for pics uploaded after the crash. ( yet I know for sure that most of those have had a number of views ).

So for me - the status is exactly as it was before the crash.

i_fly

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:36 pm

i_fly wrote:
ianm_au wrote:My counter has magically returned.

Now for the big counter.

Ian M

What do you exactly mean - are you saying that you are getting new numbers or are just seeing the older ones as before the crash ?

I do see the counter on older pics,i.e. those uploaded before the crash, and I do see the counters for my galleries, none of these numbers have changed after the crash. However, I do not see any counters for pics uploaded after the crash. ( yet I know for sure that most of those have had a number of views ).

So for me - the status is exactly as it was before the crash.

UPDATE:

I did a thorough check on my uploads after the chrash on Sept 24th, and to my surprise I did find one photo uploaded on September 28th with stats counter ok - looks like something is brewing in the back office :-)

ianm_au

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:31 am

I have a counter which shows count by flags of countries of visitors to pages. It disappeared for a couple of days.

It does not substitute for the real pbase counter.

Still have very p*****d off wive, it is her busy selling season and she has no idea of visitors.

Ian M

hmetal

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:49 pm

I agree with everything you said, BUT..

I have 2 accounts here on pbase. One is a "clean" gallery (no nudity) and the other contains nudes and erotica.

This last pbase crash has taught me one important lesson. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

My photos used to be in recent photos and I had daily PAD (Photo-A-Day) updates daily. I was even on the "Popular" page. Until one day I posted an image which the "gawds" saw fit to censor. That would have been fine with me except instead of censoring just that one image, ALL of my galleries were removed from popular, recent and PAD galleries.

Going back to not putting my eggs in one basket.. I discovered that Flickr no longer has a nudity restriction (it did at one time) and has a content rating system similar to the one I suggested for pbase a couple years back when all this censorship nonsense came up. So, what I decided to do is instead of renewing my "clean" pbase account, I would use that money and buy Flickr Pro for a year. Flickr is a better value for me because I have a HUGE archive collection of photos and I post often. Flickr is the better value in this case, combined with the fact that they don't censor or restrict my content in any way.

So now I have pbase AND flickr. Sure, it's 2 accounts and 2 sets of uploads to manage, but I was already managing 2 pbase accounts and a whole crapload of other places I upload my photos for exhibition.

Bummer for pbase since 1/2 the money I used to give them is gone. But I'm still maintaining my PAD account and will do so as long as it remains a feasable option with at least 99% stability, coupled with sometimes-slowness that pbase exhibits.

My Flickr "photostream" contains a lot of never before seen images. Their uploader is slick too. PBase needs a better uploader (Java app?). A Lightroom export plugin would be cool too!

Anyways.. I hope pbase sorts all of this stuff out soon!

My PBase: http://www.pbase.com/hmetal/pad
My Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmetal/

sergiopadura wrote:After reading most of the post here and visited some of the sites people recommends as interesting I must agree with the pbasers who decided to stay here. In my humble opinion the rate service/cost at PBase is priceless, the chance to custom your CSS if needed is absolutely great, web positioning is good and the chance to view others pbasers work is far easy than other sites. About the stats, hitcounts, votes and so... well, might be interesting to many but is not my case, I´m really tired of those vote chasers just posting: Nice work! Beautiful! and these easy copy and paste words that you can see spread all around... for this I decided to disable the vote and comment option in most of my galleries. About the hits and stats is not useful because it means almost nothing specially when you see that many of the most viewed images here are not necesarily connected with photography art but with girls on a sexy attitude :).
I deeply recommend to those who really want to show, critic and specially be their work screened check Onexposure.com I just say 90% of the PBasers images, included most of mines will be not published there. Please check!!! Guts needed!!
As an example of the previous, my image http://www.pbase.com/sergiopadura/image/117136250 was not even cosidered to be publish and inmediately rejected at onexposure.com, was my first and last try at the moment. That image was also screened by Apple to be publish on their new OSX Snow Leopard and you can find it as scrensaver and desktop option on it. I must thank PBase for that because Apple found the image browsing here.
I must say that another image served with the OSX Snow Leopard is from a Onexposure.com photographer.

I´ll stay here as mikelong, reflectionsbyruth, fishkit and many more. And if I need a pro gallery I will build my own site, that´s what pros do.
A big hug to all,

Sergio

PD: I didn´t post before because during the downtime I took my chances shooting that spending my time with the computer looking for votes, hits and other ego matters.
Ray A. Akey
http://luminescentmemories.com - Luminescent Memories Photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmetal - My Flickr
http://www.pbase.com/hmetal/pad - My PAD
http://codemain.com - A small portfolio

maurie_s

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:24 am

I'm going to add my two cents here, just some insight into what has happened here for years.

Background - I started designing computer systems in 1959. The company I worked for had the first large-scale computer in a business west of the Mississippi. That doesn't mean I have all of the answers but I do have some experience.

Some of things that i learned:

To properly run any successful service organization, the people doing the service MUST be able put themselves in the user's positions and think like them. Many people DO NOT have that ability. I doubt that it can be taught. The people who don't have that ability do not understand the people who do and don't know how to find, hire, and manage them. They mean well. They just don't know how. I don't expect any significant change in the service at Pbase.

I would be happy to have the Pbase crew prove me wrong because I currently have too many irons in the fire to look for another site and move my pictures. I expect to be here for a while.

Also, I'm now 79 years old and retired. I do some system design for a non-profit. I am not interested in going back to work for anyone else.

Maurie

rickbricker

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:14 am

I find it so hard to believe that you can see these negative posts and not respond....day after day...week after week...and now...heading into month after month.Your lack of attempt to keep your loyal(or formally loyal)customer base in the loop on whether this website is going to continue on or not is shocking.I attempted to put an image on this evening and was redirected to the page from Sep.24th saying the site was temporarily down.WHAT A JOKE!Likely the only good this post is doing is to help me let off some steam as I'm sure it will go unread by those that count in regard to fixing the issues.

bracciodiferro

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:02 am

rickbricker wrote:I find it so hard to believe that you can see these negative posts and not respond....day after day...week after week...and now...heading into month after month.Your lack of attempt to keep your loyal(or formally loyal)customer base in the loop on whether this website is going to continue on or not is shocking.I attempted to put an image on this evening and was redirected to the page from Sep.24th saying the site was temporarily down.WHAT A JOKE!Likely the only good this post is doing is to help me let off some steam as I'm sure it will go unread by those that count in regard to fixing the issues.

Listen to what I have to say :
we are wasting time here...
Paolo

pierresphotography

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:43 pm

rickbricker wrote:I find it so hard to believe that you can see these negative posts and not respond....day after day...week after week...and now...heading into month after month.Your lack of attempt to keep your loyal(or formally loyal)customer base in the loop on whether this website is going to continue on or not is shocking.I attempted to put an image on this evening and was redirected to the page from Sep.24th saying the site was temporarily down.WHAT A JOKE!Likely the only good this post is doing is to help me let off some steam as I'm sure it will go unread by those that count in regard to fixing the issues.

May I suggest a new word to describe the situation:

People who ignore other people are "wisers." They are full of wiserness.

A wiser is someone who thinks he or she is wiser than the ones trying to be heard.

gilnockie

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:20 am

Now they seem to have lost the link to PMail from the status page.
Numpties!

gilnockie

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:08 am

gilnockie wrote:Now they seem to have lost the link to PMail from the status page.
Numpties!

Seems to be fixed !

jimgarbee

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:02 am

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I understand how these things take time. Everything is working fine on my "user end". As for the hit counts, I for one am not worried about that. The speed has increased which is great when I want to show someone my work that's a great plus. Oh and thanks for the free month.

chucklantz

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:05 am

To Slug, Emily and family;

Having recently gone through a bizarre series of website, camera and provider disasters myself (though nowhere near the scale that you're experiencing), you and your family have my sympathy, and I apologize for any ranting I may have done in the forums about the meltdown. This kinda stuff happens, through no fault of yours. You could have just said "the heck with it, ... we'll fix it during the regular workday" But you obviously care too much not to give it your all, and more. Good luck. IMHO, this is still the best gallery online.

artguer

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:16 am

chucklantz wrote:To Slug, Emily and family;

Having recently gone through a bizarre series of website, camera and provider disasters myself (though nowhere near the scale that you're experiencing), you and your family have my sympathy, and I apologize for any ranting I may have done in the forums about the meltdown. This kinda stuff happens, through no fault of yours. You could have just said "the heck with it, ... we'll fix it during the regular workday" But you obviously care too much not to give it your all, and more. Good luck. IMHO, this is still the best gallery online.

I'm in accord 100%. Thank you Slug and Emily.
Arto

don_empey_photography

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:37 pm

artguer wrote:
chucklantz wrote:To Slug, Emily and family;

I'm in accord 100%. Thank you Slug and Emily.

Yes certainly....thank you for not chiming in with a response and thank you for not fixing all things broken. These kind of posts will certainly validate the fact that it is OK to do nothing for your customers. I know it's only a small amount of money but irregardless of that, I don't like paying for any service that I do not receive no matter what the cost category. If you took your car in for service and you could look through the garage windows and see it sitting there but nothing more.....would you be pee'd off????

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime